WTFH Happened to Grouping?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Cruize, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Cruize Active Player

Hello, I just returned after playing, last time I was on was during the time lairs was either just released or a few updates after that.

Then my friend asked me to play this again and I did, so I subbed and checked out, tried some dungeons to re-learn my controller rotations etc. However I have noticed that most of the groups I have been on either don't have a healer, a tank, or a controller, or sometimes even 2 of the same role. So I was like WTFH? I just assumed that content was "easy" enough to not have the full role set. But then poof, either the group fails because they die due to lack of healing or everyone gets random aggro, etc.

Question is... wtfh happened to the group finder?
    Is it only relevant to the current meta tier? Are roles technically non existent now to lower content? Because I have seen people especially levelers or fresh 30s die even on Area 51 (I leveled a new toon as well)

and I don't mean to offend but what also happened to the NA/Oceanic/English speaking guilds out there, all I see mostly are Portuguese speaking leagues spamming invites.
    • Like x 1
  2. lukelucky Devoted Player

In settings u can adjust it to only place u into instances with all roles. Forget how but shoukd be easy enough. Belive its with task force x
    • Like x 4
  3. Cruize Active Player

@lukelucky you sir just saved my life, didn't bother to look into options, that is "Enable Role Optional Alerts" yes?

It would be easy if I always get grouped with people with ereally high iLVL but not much when you get grouped with low iLevel or just really new.
    • Like x 2
  4. Derio 15000 Post Club

Most people play dps. In lower group content you can simply stack burn to get past most if not all the content. That is why you dont see support roles in lower end content. And the roleless buff is strong enough to where you dont need a troller, tank, or healer.
    • Like x 1
  5. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Yep, you want to set Enable Role Optional Alerts to Off.
    • Like x 1
  6. Veritasum Loyal Player

If you're in a 4 man group that does not have the roles, you can still or should be able to complete the content. The main key is to block. If at least 3 of you are near each other, blocking will heal you and prevent a good amount of dmg. So you have to adjust the play style to include some blocking.

Some here would say it's "easy" etc. but it can be difficult if everyone in your group is not aware of the role less buffs and insists on just attacking everything which is the default way most everybody plays. Your best bet is to try and play with friends or people that are willing to block more and play a little more strategically.
  7. Owl Devoted Player

Game Update 47 introduced NPC Difficulty Scaling and Stat Flattening.
    NPC Scaling is probably the main reason some groups have trouble completing content at or below level.

Opponent Health was greatly increased to compensate for player stat increases and Advanced Mechanics damage potential.
    Plus when fighting against non-player enemies with a Combat Rating higher than your Equipped Combat Rating, you will inflict less damage and take more incoming damage. When your Equipped Combat Rating is higher, you will start inflicting more damage and take less incoming damage. The greater the difference in Combat Rating, the more you experience these effects.

Fresh Level 30 players possibly still have leveling gear that provides a Combat Rating lower than their opponents. Since they have lower CR gear, they would take additional damage from higher CR opponents. And they would inflict significantly less damage to opponents causing content to take longer to complete.
    • Like x 1
  8. Zlohsac Committed Player

The game has become DPS-centric these days that lower end content you don't need roles.

Even in end game where raids used to be 2-2-2-2 or 3-1-2-2 has now become 5-1-1-1 in favor of mostly dps for extra burn. The need for support roles, especially trollers is becoming less and less with AM and WM. If there was a way for DPS to heal themselves like Rage can, support roles would be in alot of trouble.
    • Like x 3
  9. CrazyArtBrown Dedicated Player

There are some self-healing options for healing power sets even in DPS stance. You won't have the Restoration or group healing for it to be efficient, so you burn through a lot of power. When things are going to get very interesting is if Water becomes the FOTM one day and it can heal itself.
    • Like x 2
  10. Zlohsac Committed Player

The only way I could see that working efficiently is if a power healed you and attack buffed you at the same time. Your loadout wouldn't change but you'd get the benefit of healing yourself while doing your normal loadout.

I can't imagine that ever working because that would be way too OP. A DPS that could give themselves power and heal themselves with no damage drawback? Insane.
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Welcome back. Sadly you have returned to what many refer to as DPSUO first we got Weapon Mastery (WM) and then Advanced Mechanics (AM) which radically changed the game. With AM especially if a DPS uses their combos correctly the almost never run out of power and I personally have an Atomic Tank and those combos not only return power but heal as well.

When all that started taking place suddenly a lot of players were not content running content and having a raid take 45 minutes or an hours when they could run 5-1-1-1 or 6-1-1 (because who needs a tank anyway) and used that extra fire power to try and blast through anything in their way. Unfortunately most of the time it works. On alert you'll see 3-1 with a Troll or a Healer and at times they even go with just 4 DPS.

Now here is where the FUN part comes in.... Log on and go watch the Looking For Group (LFG) channel. Eventually you'll see something like this.. GLF (Troll) (Healer) or (Tank) for [name the raid]. On last boss PST with CR. Here's a translation for you on that sentence which is accurate about 90% of the time... "Group of 6 DPS on final boss battle and we just realized we can't beat the final boss with out (name your support role). Please come rescue us. I tend to totally ignore those requests because basically if they wanted my Healer, Troll, or Tank maybe they should have invited me to the team to begin with. Why should I help them defeat 1 boss, get 1 reward and then if I actually want to do the entire raid I need to shell out 89 Replay badges.. even though I never fought a single mob or the other two bosses associated with that raid.

Just last night my buddy and I formed a group to do the Desecrated Cathedral (one of the newer alerts at T7) We advertised for a healer and a troll since he was on his DPS and I was on my Atomic Tank. We got a Cr 147 healer and because we couldn't find a troll at the time went ahead and invited a second DPS. Before we got to the first boss battle the HEALER is trying to get me to go DPS. I refused. #1 its my buddy's team and he has no problem with me Tanking for him and #2 I LIKE tanking with that alt. So the HEALER decided he'll switch since I wont and we ran the thing with 3-1 (me in the tank role). Personally if I'd been the team leader I'd have given bright boy about 2 minutes to switch back and stay in healer role or he'd have gotten kicked but my friend is more tolerant than I am and we did managed just fine. Oh allow me to clarify that.. WE had several deaths during the mission because our 147 healer turned DPS also LOVES to run ahead and grab agro and managed to get himself killed several times. Sorry but I can't keep you alive if your in a completely different room than I am. But no one else aside from idiot boy died and we finished the alert with no problem so If he wants to die.. LET HIM. lol

Just a heads up for you ,.... You will also run into a number of DPS that don't feel a support player has any business on a duo. I ran into one of those a week ago with my Healer on a Demon Pit duo. I always start in Healer role since you defeat 1 minion and then start the first boss battle. My TEAM MATE refused to move forward and engage because I wasn't in DPS. I sat right there beside him not moving. Hey I'm returned I have ALL DAY to sit there if he wants to be an idiot. So he finally decided to attack and I join him .. We defeat the first boss and I switch to DPS to help with the mobs in the corridors. By the second mob I had switched back to Healer because my CR 147 DPS team mate was dying left and right. At that point I just stayed in Healer role to keep him alive and provided what ever small amount of damage I could. That's the insanity we face these days .. Guy couldn't stay alive against a three man mob of minions but wanted me the drop out of Healer role against a BOSS for MORE BURN!

Its not hopeless. There are players out there that still like a well rounded team. My buddy and I always try to find a healer and a troll and even if one of use is filling one of those two rolls we welcome a tank anytime. Problem is thanks to the attitudes out there now more and more players have gone DPS and you can't always find what you want. Usually at worst we will run 2-1-1 without a tank if we can't find one on line. And amazingly we complete alert after alert with no issues and it decent times.
    • Like x 5
  12. Mathias Whister New Player

I could not agree more with you. The developers are destroying the integrity of the roles in a role based game. If they don't respect the roles, why should people learn to play them and go to the trouble of modding for them? It started with rage's ability to infringe on the healer role by healing other players. The destructive, insulting trend continues with advanced mechanics. If all roles were suddenly able to regenerate their own green bars, or press there buttons in a row and burn like a DPS, or boost their life and defense like a tank, people would go nuts. But trolls are taking this insult laying down. Now atomic tanks don't need trolls anymore. Soon there will be NO ROOM FOR BATMAN ANYMORE IN DC UNIVERSE!!! STOP DISRESPECTING THE ROLE. Healers heal, tanks tank, and trolls throw power!! Advanced mechanics should be for solos and perhaps duos only.
    • Like x 1
  13. VintageWine Dedicated Player

Dude, you have no chill. Lol!

Best read I had since I woke up.
    • Like x 2
  14. CrazyArtBrown Dedicated Player

The players are the ones who don't respect roles. People cutting out trolls, healers, and tanks whenever possible predates WM and the AMs. The developers are just dealing with the idiocy and impatience of their customers.
    • Like x 2
  15. CrazyArtBrown Dedicated Player

No doubt, but if players understood efficiency they wouldn't prefer cutting roles out even if it means wiping heavily as a consequence. People tend to remember triumphs and ignore their bad decisions. So if usually they get an epic fast run because healers are cut and they just burn a buttload of power to do it, they'll keep doing it even if it's actually way less efficient on harder content.
  16. HarleyQueen Well-Known Player

Why to off? Don`t get it...
    Q_Q
  17. tdowers New Player

I love my support roles and i would rather do support roles but you do have players whine why are you not a solo based for dmg because im at the bottom with only a mil dmg . Pffft i dont care i just want to have fun , not fight who has most dmg and compare balls sizes . Geez
    • Like x 1
  18. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Role Optional set to Off makes sure that all roles are present in a 4-player instance. It doesn't make sure all players will play those roles, but at least it allows the group to have players who are capable of playing each role.
  19. HarleyQueen Well-Known Player

But Common Logic doesn`t tell us to set it to ON?
  20. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Logic: Role Optional -> On = roles are optional.
    Logic: Role Optional -> Off = roles are required.
    • Like x 1