Wrestling with inner self-criticism

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Oct 12, 2018.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Ok, so I have been debating putting this out there for a while. Please know that I am not looking for people to just say "You are really good", not at all what this post is about. So, I have been working on my cartooning for a little while now [I say cartoon-ing as I feel my developing style is more of that than any kind of "art" or "fine-art" style]. I do post on an instagram page regularly and with that have been able to connect with and meet a lot of really cool and TALENTED people.

Lately, I have been feeling down about some of the stuff I have been putting out [pages not coming out how I wanted them to, drawing that I do not feel good about]. I have heard that little voice of criticism creep into my head and say things like "you're not as good as....." or "you are waisting your time" or "you will not be as good as......". In some ways I know to ignore this little creature, it's tough but I try. Also, my rational mind is able to say things like "you don't NEED to be as good as......" to be considered "good" and also "there are a lot of different styles that are recieved very well by people.

So, I ask all of you creatives out there. How do you manage this when it happens / has happened to you? I am not sure if it something like I am just not giving enough time to a particular project or what. I welcome your stories and input on how to get passed this bump in the creative road. Thanks in advance.
  2. Malachyte Devoted Player

Hey Bern,

I don't have artistic talent like you do, but in other aspects in my life such as cooking, house improvements, my job I do find myself doing the "you're not as good as....." wither by my neighbor with his lawn, a colleague with their design or a "celebrity chef"

How I come back to Earth is, does it appeal to me and do I like it and is it satisfactory to me.....that has to be the focus that you need to be happy with your work and that it please you and others will like it....not everyone is Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Jim Lee ... and those people have their critics as well....

If you try to please everyone, you please no one and compromise your artistic integrity .....

Strive to find what makes you happy with your work in your own feelings and don't be tempted to compare because everyone is unique in ideals if that makes sense...

Cheers,

Mal
    • Like x 3
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think that little voice is part and parcel of the creative process. But I think it can be a little tougher to ignore that voice if you don't have something like an editor or director to either reassure you or nudge you in the direction you need to go.

I remember a scene I had to do in one of my acting classes in college, and my partner and I performed things pretty well if we go by the grade we got. The instructor kept us on track leading up to the final presentation of the scene, but more than once during rehearsals something about how we were doing the scene just felt off. It just never felt quite right and it bugged me the whole way through.

It bugged me even more when I saw how the scene was originally performed (it was a scene from Mel Brooks' film The Producers performed by Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder, so pretty high bar LOL) but that's another matter. :D

Anyhow, my best advice would be to go to someone who could give you an objective opinion about your work and what you're aiming to do and see what they say. That little voice is always going to be there, so having someone else around that can help either confirm or refute what that little voice is saying is always going to be helpful.
    • Like x 1
  4. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

When I started my stick figure comics I didn't draw them to please anyone else I drew them for myself. I put my soul into those pages when i'm drawing it's like I have a bucket of Newel's soul paint and I paint with my soul paint (except it's ink) so I guess a jar full of soul ink.
    • Like x 1
  5. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I appreciate all the feedback everyone. I really hope that I did not come off as whiney or anything. I look back at a lot of my earlier work and know there is improvement. I think just seeing a large influx of people who are either WAY better or more established, coupled with just feeling stuck in some ways has hit me pretty hard. Gotta love that battle between the rational and emotional mind. My goal has never been, nor is it currently to be a professional comic creator. My goal has been to just prove to myself that I make one of decent quality with the characters and stories I have created and feel strongly about. I know I am on track towards that and once I get the digital tools I am working towards, I know that vision will be more closer to fruition. I think just not seeing closure to where I see it in my mind [due to lack of tools to get it there] has me feeling stuck or stagnent.

Any other feedback is greatly appreciated all. Thanks to those above and in advance
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

One other thing I forgot to mention but wanted to leave as some food for thought: sometimes artists are their own harshest critics. Best to keep that in mind as well and not let it wind you up that much.
    • Like x 2
  7. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Art is never finished, only abandoned. - Leonardo da Vinci
    • Like x 1