Would this be cool or no?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by bagofboom, Dec 2, 2015.

1. bagofboom Committed Player

Since we have up to 8 hours of downtime I dusted off my brain and got to thinking;

I'm of the opinion that our Armories would be better (or equally, dependant on preference) suited if we could use them for different powers and not just roles, loadouts and/or styles.

For example; Say I have 4 Armories, two of which I use for my main toon. In my case a CR143 Ice dps & tank. Both of them are standard as always with different loadouts and SP allocated, set for each particular role.

The other 2 Armories I could use for the SAME character, SAME level and CR, SAME SP but a DIFFERENT powerset and role.

For example; I now have a Celestial dps in one and a healer in the other.

Now I have 4 Armories, 2 powersets and 3 total roles (Healer, Tank and the obligatory Dps on each of course).

We would save our main toon, each role to 1 Armory as we do now. Everything is locked in and good to go. Then we purchase a Power Respec Token just as we would if we wanted a new power. We are already saved in our first two Armories, locked in, there like always. We activate our Token and choose our power. Now we go through the steps of creating our other two Armories just as we normally would.

Yes we'd have to get all new gear if we were a tank and switched to heals or troll but now we'd have two powers to alternate between when necessary or desired. All skill points and CR would remain, we'd just have to set up the new Armories.

Many of us have multiple toons at end game or near it, wouldn't it be nice to not have to log out and back in and get re-invited and all that nonsense if our group suddenly needed a second role mid-raid?

This would also be a great source of revenue for the game.

It's just a thought. I'm VERY interested in hearing the thoughts of my peers and the community as a whole. Even a response from some green names would be most welcome.
    Thanks for taking the time.

Long Live DCUO!!
  2. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

This has been suggested before.

I don't think it will ever happen. Nor do I think it should. I've had people switch powers in the middle of raids before because they didn't like how they were being beaten in DPS out. (it didn't help) Allowing armories to contain the powers would drastically reduce respec tokens sales.
    • Like x 2
  3. dngnb8 Devoted Player

This is always a scary event.......
    • Like x 1
  4. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

[IMG]
  5. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

It's pretty much a monthly "what if"
  6. bagofboom Committed Player

Undoubtedly.
  7. bagofboom Committed Player

Black Dawn said: Allowing armories to contain the powers would drastically reduce respec tokens sales.

How exactly? Those wishing to switch powers that would do so normally, would still do so. Those that have considered it at one time or another would still do so and possibly be more likely to take the chance. Those that create new toons to try out new powers or want to level toons to end game status might be encouraged to go this route instead. Those that think it's a good idea to jump on the opportunity to have multiple powers on one toon would do it. And the act of buying the respec token in no way guarantees that one will ENJOY the power they've chosen and may (and CAN) buy other tokens until they get what they want.
    I've heard this argument before, and I'm not saying it's wrong per se, but I don't understand how, if given the opportunity to do something and with good reason with positive effect, it would STOP the purchase of something that's always been viable to begin with. They are sold now, they would be sold then. If anything, the rate of sale would remain constant. The idea, as it is, doesn't make for LESS sales, it encourages it, so worst case scenario people would still buy them at the current pace.
    Long Live DCUO!!
  8. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

It is totally true that there is no guarantee that one will enjoy a power that they switch to. Thus, they would loose sales if they allowed power imprinting to armories. Because if someone doesn't like a power, they will once again have to pay to switch back. Does this lack of a guarantee impede players from buying tokens? No.

I can see where you are coming from but here is where the disconnect occurs. If one is able to imprint armories with powers which enable a player to switch powers on the fly there is a max number of power repec tokens I can buy (for any given character) before I am no longer able to get any benefit of buying tokens (until a new power comes out). Of course this might increase armory sales, but since one is only able to have a max of 16 armories (4 bases x 4 armories per base) there is a definite cap on spending there...unless they allow us to have more bases/increase the number of armories we can have in the bases we have already.

If they continue to stay the course (not allowing players to switch powers via armories) power respecs tokens will continue to be a fan favorite of the FotM players, and people looking to get feats for gear/weapons they are stored. However, if they change the power/armory dynamic those who power hop will only have to buy 1 token for every power instead of 1 token for every time they want to switch, in addition those who do not power hop will probably continue to stay one power and will not buy tokens.

Does this make sense? Or am I explaining what I mean terribly?

Besides: Ain't no body have room for that many sets of gear. XD
  9. bagofboom Committed Player

Apologies, I don't know how to cut and paste snippets of text like you did with my previous post so the entirety of your message is up there ^ unintended.
    Anyhow, I see what you're saying and as I said before don't take this as me saying you're wrong, it's merely discussion and discussion is what I wanted but in your response I think you're pointing out worst case scenario as if suddenly it would dry up the pond so to speak in regards to token sales. You could be entirely right, but I think that with the influx of potential new players, old players returning or just the constant ebb and flow of population and the differential in particular spenders "wallets" something like tokens and RB's and Armories will always be a viable source of income for Daybreak. Regardless of the manipulation of mechanics within the game.
    If there's demand there will be supply. And if they create the demand (which all companies do) the populace will spend. 4 bases with 4 Armories each with the potential for EACH base to hold 4 different powers (if said player wished to go that route) and currently 14 power sets and 16(+) character slots available to each acct.... well my math sucks but that's a lot of opportunities for Tokens to be sold to just ONE individual. And most people don't go the 4 base - 4 Armory route. But could be encouraged (or more inclined) to purchase the tokens if more options for entertaining use of those tokens are made available.
    I don't know. Honestly it was just a thought I (and I'm certain MANY others) had and thought I'd bring it up during this (STILL ongoing) downtime. It's not even a "Lets agree to disagree" thing, I value your opinion and thoughts on the matter. I think open discussion on topics to make the game better and profitable are a good and necessary thing so I appreciate you contributions to the thread.
    But you're wrong!! No, I'm sorry. I'm totally joking, 100%. Just adding levity to the proceedings (attempted).
    All in all, its just a fantasy want realized that may never be.
    Oh well..... ;)
    P.S. You're absolutely right, that's ALOT of gear to maintain and truthfully didn't factor into my thinking when I broached the subject.

Long Live DCUO!!