Work In Progress Work In Progress: Weapon Mastery

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Spytle, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Bliss Committed Player

I could actually see it being might heavy.

You pick whatever combo/animation is the fastest to rely on the big might hit at the end even if it's doing a pistol combo with 100 precision.
    • Like x 2
  2. SkullGang Devoted Player

Yeah some combos will be beneficial but then less weapons will be used and thus make it one sided in the weapons department (even though it already is).

Well there are combos that vary in length so there may be some combos you can pull off fairly quickly to get that healing buff.
    • Like x 1
  3. Maximilliian New Player

" The damage potential of cross-weapon combos is tuned to compete with top-end combo-based power sets such as Celestial, Light, and Rage. These attacks have a progress bar so if you clip them too early you lose out. But don't get me wrong. Your super powers are a vitally important part of this equation!

"Rather than clipping these attacks fast as you can, you'll want to time your super powers and launch them right at the moment of impact for a devastating one-two punch! During that brief window your Ability Critical Chance is tripled. Yes, this means you can achieve a 100% chance to crit your super power IF you hit the timing window correctly! Not only that, but your Ability Critical Damage may also dramatically increase. This varies based on the length of the combo, but you could see your super powers critting for over quadruple damage in some cases. Of course, this assumes your unleashing your super powers with correct timing!"

Like some others have said [LoArlequin, Serj, Sara Pezzini], having the support roles get a boost off of the end of a weapon mastery combo should go a long way towards making the new system balanced for every player.

If the PoT of a troller and the HoT of a healer (for example) get the same boost as the damage (if you are in the correct role, yourself, of course), then the trolls will get their increased power output and healers would naturally start healing for big numbers (important for those non-clippers out there).
    • Like x 4
  4. Ace1 Dedicated Player

QUESTION If you clip let's say haymaker early, do I still get the damage from haymaker? I ask because I noticed it now has a cast bar and most things right now if clipped in the middle of a cast bar do not complete.
  5. Sore Steadfast Player

TANKS: Well timed power after a WM combo means a 16 second taunt and 2 seconds of control immunity.
    • Like x 5
  6. Richard Morgan New Player

how good are these combos gonna be in raids like nexus wave or a&b when you have adds constantly charging and attacking you?
  7. Aqua Surge Loyal Player

For number 2, They are increasing the Nature DOTs cooldown in update 34 notes. But this still balances the game. DOTs moves have taken a hit every time Raids get nerfed. Like Electric and Quantum are two good DOT powers but when raids get nerfed so weaker players can do them. Power types of those moveset are the ones to suffer. This balances the game in my option. They are trying to fix might vs precision powers as well. Because HL, CL, and Rage are taking advance of the precision from their combos.
    • Like x 1
  8. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

just looking at the combos..it seems 1 handed is going to be king again just from what i can see
  9. AgentX44 Committed Player

I wouldn't think of PoT/HoT. Maybe a big instant heal or instant power would be nice after each completed mastery combo. That pretty much should alleviate the missed opportunity of clipping the instant heal/power when it is off cooldown.
    • Like x 2
  10. TrueOlympus New Player

thats nice! Mastery combos should make regular tuants into SUPER taunts. that even scripted agro drop bosses can't break out of for the duration of the taunt

just throwing out some ideas
    • Like x 5
  11. Sore Steadfast Player

Not if they do the balance pass they described.
    • Like x 2
  12. Nemisor Committed Player

would definitly like to see some bonus to suport roles during or after one of these combos.
    • Like x 1
  13. TrueOlympus New Player

I was so happy. One Handed has all my favorite weapons in it!!! DW 1H and to a lesser extent HB. Should also fit the conceal of my character very bicely
  14. Baryon Boy New Player

Something I wish Tunso could have elaborated on during the stream was the feature(?) of some attacks getting a damage buff once you unlocked weapon mastery for that weapon. Because that's probably going to be the most applicable part of this for me (I'm strange, my characters use weapons based on concept, and as presented so far I can't see either of them really using mastery combos) and I'm wondering how much of a damage boost that would result in if you chose not to unlock the cross-weapon combos.

Also, elaboration on the bottom row of passive stat nodes would be nice, too. But WIP, I get it, we'll just have to wait.
  15. SkullGang Devoted Player

These combos in their practicality are not useful to anyone who isn't a DPS. The support roles have no time to be creating combos because their jobs are very taxing because of how T5 is. You are constantly on your toes whether it's heals, power or keeping aggro. If the power costs, healing amount and damage dealt to us was adjusted then these combos would have some use as an extra bonus in tight situations but as most situations in T5 raids can be tight they lose their usefulness.
    • Like x 4
  16. RepulsorTech New Player

I don't understand why we couldn't just get new moves for the existing weapons. I themed my character around my powers and my weapon and now it will make no sense. I use hand blasters but I have this bow tucked away for emergencies? This is the same rehashing of existing content that we see time and time again since the creation of operations. War of the Light only has around 3 new areas. everything else is the same stuff we've had for the last 3 years. The weapon mastery idea is great but how am I mastering MY weapon if my combo finishers are from other weapons?
    • Like x 1
  17. IGotYA New Player

So every HL dps player should just buy a respec token?
    Because HL will be the worst power to use with this new mechanic,
    do weapon combos and then what? snap trap?ram? or use fan that i wont be able to jump clip it anymore?

How do you expect us to finish those combos when the npcs are blocking every min?
    • Like x 3
  18. BoDyBaGz Well-Known Player

In my honest opinion this mechanic should go up on the test server weeks ahead of the full dlc. From what I saw on the livestream if this mechanic is going to truly be balanced it needs serious testing in a live environment and not the developer playground. A lot of the combos seem way more viable in current content than others. With such a big change to the current way the game is played this change needs to have an extreme amount of testing or I can guarantee we will see players gravitating towards one combo that surpasses the others (whether it be because of shorter animations or better survivability).
    • Like x 5
  19. Intrinsic New Player

This feels like blind innovation. As a healer main, the only thing this system accomplishes is clearing PvE solo missions a bit quicker and maybe doing a bit more damage in duos or 4 mans. In a raid, I need to be ready to cast a heal at any time, I don't have time to sit and watch animations play out in the hopes of getting a bit more damage out. It may be boring, but I still gain more as a healer investing into Health or Defense/Toughness than this system.
    • Like x 4
  20. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

let us hope... i know clipping is very popular but and i do it to put out as much damage as i can..but it sure would be nice to not only see the animations im doing but also use my favorite weapon..although deemed slow (brawling) with out having to lose out on damage...

id like to see how some of this flows with an earth dps now
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.