With new artifacts coming in next DLC (and new levels?)...how about a single artifact 'catalyst'?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

It is beyond me why we still need 22 different artifact catalysts, all of which come in the same box, then require multiple steps to open and choose. It made sense when we were getting cats from content (like the augment cats), but now that they are all purchased from Constantine, what's the point?

Make each level still require the same number of cats, but just 'catalysts'....not a specific type.
    Level 20 - 2 cats
    Level 40 - 3 cats
    Level 60 - 6 cats
    Level 80 - 9 cats
    etc.....

Leveling up a 140 or 160 artifact is a 15 min process to get the cats, and it's very possible you could pick the wrong one as the process is mind-numbing and tedious. Assuming 180 or 200 is coming it will only get worse with a new cat box or 2, 3 or 6 new catalysts and the need for 24 and 27 of whatever those will be. I can't believe the programming for 2 new sets of cats is that much easier than retro coding out the old different cats.

Making the change would just make it so we can go to Constantine, buy 12 or 15 catalysts and apply them as is in whatever amount is needed for a breakthrough.

The only objection I can see is for the user/users who are sitting on mountains of already opened cats....I suppose a conversion machine could be made available, but also if we get enough heads up, you could probably burn through them in the next month or 2...sell them on the broker....give them to a friend or leaguemate in exchange for an unopened cat cache....whatever. Not sure who would keep a pile of opened ones vs the unopened caches, but I'm sure someone is doing it.

Reinheld
    • Like x 18
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Agreed. At the very least remove the "Superior" and "Concentrated" versions.
    • Like x 4
  3. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I keep the boxes now, but I still have some loose cats of each type from the old system. It should all be streamlined, though.

I would be happy as long as the cat boxes translate to the new system. I’ve got 250 of those unopened boxes right now, and losing all of that would be a big bite.
  4. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Yeah, but I lost out on all those things last summer that transmuted our bytes. I forgot what they were called. That's what we spent our extra Mark's on. Then they changed the system, and I lost out on hundreds of Mark's worth of stuff.

Suggestion, open them, or watch for changes.
  5. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

100% agree. If se are talking QoL improvements. How about they also cut down on all the different Mark's. My list is long, and I have no way to organize them to view the better.
  6. L T Devoted Player

it *is* annoying to open crates to get more crates and then have to pick the catalysts.

Maybe they could auto-open the crates in your inventory from the upgrade screen?
    • Like x 2
  7. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

+1 but also REMOVE CATALYSTS.
    • Like x 2
  8. AV Loyal Player

TBF there's really only ~7-8 active at any given time. We clean out the old ones at the token exchanger.
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, i'm figuring it would have to either just straight convert (cat caches and all loose cats become 'catalysts') or something like what was done with total recovery kits....you 'use' one and it becomes a new catalyst like TRKs became exo boosters. Yeah, i'm sitting on around 300 myself...losing them would be a pain but I'd 'almost' endure it if it were to get rid of the annoying choice in a box in a box thing we have now.....almost.

Reinheld
  10. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I always thought that when the players b1tched about all of the gear mods and all of the cr4p needed for the mods as they got higher that the devs got the hint but. NOOOOOOOOOOOooo. LOL IMO all the stuff needing a bagillion items and growing with every DLC is just asinine.

When are the devs going to figure out that the players want a game, not a job that needs hours upon hours upon hours to just to accomplish something?

There is a reason that most family members frown when someone busts out RISK or MONOPOLY.

I love both games but most people can only stand a game taking that long every once in a while.

IMO, all artifacts should take the same number of cats to break through and he number of catalysts needed for a breakthrough should be around 4-6. I don't get it. They already need different items but yet they need more on top of being different. Someone definitely doesn't understand the KISS method. xD
  11. Proxystar #Perception

Nah don't agree, getting the catalysts is just part of the grind, should remain as is, it's a useful mark sink for end game players and they can also be used to sell and make money on the broker.

I don't see this as a QOL improvement, I just see it as a desire to decrease ones grind and potentially also decrease their need for seals.

Ask yourself too, if you only need 1 catalyst, what do you think the devs are going to do to the prices, the catalyst caches will just go up in price to offset the difference and or the success rates will drop even further.

You guys don't really think these things through do you lol, you just think you're going to get an easier ride without any consequences or offset.
    • Like x 1
  12. Schimaera Devoted Player

One catalyst sounds like a swell quality of life improvement. It should be relatively easy considering the requirements of a single cat would always be the sum of the previously required catalysts. Devs, make it happen.
  13. Proxystar #Perception

explain to me what happens when you only need 1 catalyst to attempt a break through and they only cost 10 marks of victory and people just keep trying to push through without seals and when you think about that, tell me how you think the developers will react given the business model they've created.

Do you honestly want to sit there and tell me they're going to make your job easier at the expense of their profit?

And to make it clear too, it's not that I'm against the idea of "shrinking the number of catalysts" per se I'm just not supporting the idea, because outside of a QOL improvement where you only need one catalyst I think you guys think you're going to get an easier ride out of it, when you won't.

What's more likely to happen will be either a drop in breakthrough rates or catalyst caches will go up in price.
    • Like x 1
  14. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

see I don't mind the current system much, but I believe there is some merit to the idea. if nothing else they could just get rid of the name of the cat and go with a purity or grade variant. Low grade cat, medium grade cat and a superior cat( or advanced whatever) and then just get rid of the dionesiums electrum etc
  15. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I think it through.
    You're just short sighted like usual.
    DCUO would make more sales because players could max more artifacts for less. It's simple just like TC's. TC's sell more because they are cheaper. It is always easier to get someone to spend $20.00 one dollar at a time rather than $10.00 at a time. It's the very same reason why we stopped seeing booster bundles quarterly. The $10.00 items just cannot compete with the cheaper $1.00 items.

And,
    that is essentially what the artifacts are after level 80. If DCUO wants more cat cache sales. They better stop with the needing at least ten cats AND A SEAL to break through. People will stop playing because they either have to grind forever or they have to drop 50 bucks down. MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. It never has been when it comes to dealing with regular joes.

Edit*
    I will add.
    You should go play Roller Coaster Tycoon. You might learn a few things about pricing and sales. As a matter of fact, I think all of DCUO sales team could learn allot if they played Roller Coaster Tycoon. All of the basics are there for learning how to maximize sales & finding your customers price point.
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Proxy, normally I think you are pretty thoughtful in your replies, but I think you missed the mark this time. I am not saying 1 catalyst per level, in fact I actually say, 2 at level 20, 3 at level 40 (same as today),

and level 180 would be 24, level 200 would be 27 and so on. I'm just saying why do we need Mystic lightning, and superior Donesium and Pardox Energy? Why 22 different catalysts? We get them all from the same vendor, they all cost the same 10 MoV, they all come from the same box (at first), how does it decrease the 'grind' to eliminate the opening and selecting and opening and selecting just to get from a cat cache box to generate the catalyst that will be consumed? Opening boxes is not a 'grind', its a hassle. Grind is getting the 210 MoV to get the 21 Cat caches to level a 160 artifact....hassle is making us then crack those caches open 2 more times each to get what we need to level. No one (well not me) is suggesting we eliminate the 'grind' part....only the hassle part.

So, if you reach 160 and are required to insert 21 'catalyst' (the generic catalyst i'm suggesting) and need to add a seal or risk losing all 21, same as today, and you had to get the 21 catalyst from Constantine at the price of 210 MoV, where is the difference in 'grind' other than the hassle of choosing and opening 42 different boxes? Where is the loss in revenue for DBG?

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  17. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

to be fair even I didn't catch on right away, but I get it now. you just want it streamlined, which I think is a reasonable request. But I think we should still have the standard concentrated and superior grades of cats. and no im not talking the kind of cats that go meow lol(sorry had to throw that in somewhere)
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I don't see the point even of that. If you can explain to me what the difference (in essence, not in name) of an electrium or a superior Paradox Energy is, please do. When we were getting them as drops in content, and the higher level cats came from higher and more difficult content...fine. But they do not drop anymore. I can run COTE and get my 10 MoV or I can run vault 10 times to get my 10 MoV....either set of 10 marks can buy either of those cats because they come from the same box from the same vendor at the same price.

Again, just my opinion and request, but yeah...if you are in favor of streamlining, why only streamline 1/2 way?

And yeah, If I have to sacrifice Teekle the cat if needed, I'll do it. Not sure how to shove him into an artifact, but I'll try.

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  19. Proxystar #Perception

My apologies I misinterpreted what you were saying, I was skim reading before work. I have no objection to your proposal if the number of catalysts themselves aren't decreased.

I stand by statement though that if people want the number of catalysts decreased then it's going to affect pricing and breakthrough rates
    • Like x 3
  20. Proxystar #Perception

I don't play those sorts of games, my parks always end up bankrupt.

[IMG]