Winter Ward Still Dropping Aggro

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by TrueOlympus, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Radium Devoted Player

Its neither of those things. Once you have enough dom you can pull to your hearts desire and it will work until the add gets immunity.

Taunts all last the same time regardless of the gear you have, just the role you're in.
    • Like x 3
  2. Anima Committed Player

Okay. Just saw Wonder Woman go off on the dps right after popping Winter Ward. I guess it drops aggro sometimes, but not all the time?
    • Like x 1
  3. RavenSW Well-Known Player

Disclaimer, I am not an ice player, my toons are a fire tank and sometimes dps, celest healer and gadgets controller. I had not taken this problem very seriously, and chalked it off as another example of ice tanks being too overly reliant on shield/block.
    That being said I have seen just how broken winter ward is, that as soon as the power is cast, aggro drops instantly. Working with an ice tank in my league, we came up with a pretty effective work around to overcome this problem. If the ice tank casts an aoe dot effect right before winter ward, the dot ticks will hold aggro in check, cold snap is one that works for example.
    I hope devs are taking this seriously and get you all a hotfix soon, but until then I hope this trick helps you all out, abandoning a power like that isn't ideal, and shouldn't have to anymore with this
  4. Nemeses Prime Dedicated Player

This problem still happening?
  5. Lord Raiden Dedicated Player

I
    I'm also interested in knowing if people are still experiencing problems.
  6. AdamSwine New Player

hello. are people using anything else besides Winter Ward? like i read about both of them here. and from what i can tell even Reflection is better then Winter Ward. are people using Winter Ward over Reflection? if so, why? or are people using both powers?

i am curious because i use Reflection. and wonder if and why i should replace it with Winter Ward.
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

A.) You should Not : Reflection is the premier Ice Tank Shield and the strongest single-character Shield ability in the game.

B.) Winter Ward has its moments though : the full-group CC cleanse (instant breakout affect) is too sweet to argue with.

I got around it dropping aggro by backing it up with Inescapable Storm or Frost Snipe, both of which are clippable almost instantly because Winter Ward has almost 0 cast time.
    • Like x 1
  8. AdamSwine New Player

i see. alrighty then. it doesn't sound like i missed anything or anything then. thank you! was helpful :)
  9. Lord Raiden Dedicated Player

Winter ward is a group immunity plus shield. It's very good for tanks to be running this move. But since sometimes it drops aggro from the boss players might not use it. As far as using this over reflection, well that should never happen, as far as tanking goes. For an ice tank you should have a pull and a mix of shields and cleanse moves, immunities, ward and shatter restraints are both immunities/cleansing moves.
  10. Dead Reckon Well-Known Player

I thought there was a problem. Dev's any word on this?
    • Like x 1
  11. Nemeses Prime Dedicated Player

I wanna know too. I played with my friend yesterday, and he said to me that sometimes still dropping aggro, and sometimes don't.

And I saw with my own eyes. He used inascapable storm and after this he used winter ward. The enemy came to me instedl like if the tank doesn't exist.
  12. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Use ward first, then snipe - it's not 'Winter Ward Being Fixed' but it IS a work-around, until it is...
  13. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

'rather than allies' is grammatically correct - 'than' indicates a comparative element, 'then' is used for indication of sequence.
    • Like x 1
  14. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Aggro is on initial cast of a superpower. DoT ticks, or damage ticks of any kind, do not establish aggro.
    • Like x 1
  15. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

I've been avoiding WW because of this issue. I watch when other people use it, and it does seem to still have this issue. I don't see a pattern to when it happens. I tried to tank the Wake the Dead feat and had to put this back on in place of BW, because i kept juggling the adds out of the corner but still wanted a shield. Like others said, every time I cast it, I make sure to cast something else immediately to make sure to reset aggro just in case.
  16. RavenSW Well-Known Player

Interesting, as a fire tank, I don't actually suffer from this problem. But several leaguemates are Ice tanks, and when this problem was first discovered it was improvising rotation on the fly that came up this workaround. So if what you say is true, then why does it work. Moreover why can I use Inferno to aggro a large room when most enemies are outside my range of initial cast?
    or maybe you are mistaken
  17. Sytenia Committed Player

Isn't Winter Ward meant to detaunt enemies from your group members in addition to taunting enemies into attacking the tank?
    Perhaps the bug with it is that the detaunt effect goes to the tank as well which might be why it doesn't always make the enemies attack someone else in your group because it detaunts the entire group making the enemies just pick a new target based on whoever hits them first right after the tank uses Winter Ward.
  18. Anima Committed Player

Please fix this power for GU43.
  19. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

I have theories and speculation as to what you and your friend are seeing. I'm not there and watching you guys test it out.

I think WW is detaunting inconsistently. So, when your friend is casting CS, then WW, I think sometimes everything is okay, sometimes it isn't. Ice tanks tend to block less and pull more, especially since we don't have a radial pull. I think it is possible that another power is being cast after WW that is regaining aggro. If not, then it might be one of the moments when it's not detaunting.

As far as my information about ticks of damage not doing the taunting, that's information I got from age-old discussions on the forums. I believe at one point during the original ice revamp is when a green name weighed in on it. IIR, discussion centered around Reflection not doing an initial tick of damage when cast on PC test at the time. People were saying if it didn't do that, it wouldn't aggro. Others said what I told you. A green name said that it was broken and should be delivering damage, but that casting any power that taunts (buffs like ice bash are excluded) will gain aggro even if it does no damage.

AFAIK, the size and shape of what's aggro'd is one of three scenarios:
    1. AoE centered on yourself
    2. AoE centered on yourself + AoE centered on your target + cone between
    3. Single-target to an enemy (Frost Snipe, Fireball, Stone, Rage Blast)
    I haven't been Fire in a long time, but I believe Inferno works the same as Wintry Tempest, Debris Field, Gravity Well, and Circle of Destiny, and falls into the second of the two. Not sure about Rage ... from power descriptions it looks like Galling Eruption is a self-centered pool.
  20. RavenSW Well-Known Player

As stated before my experience is with Fire primarily, though I did play around with Rage until my sp was more in line with what I needed. As for Inferno, what draws my aggro is the mechanic of the power I am sure. That is it grants immolation to nearby allies and applies burning effect to any nearby enemies as well as an enemies that attacks effected allies. So in essence it reapplies itself under certain conditions. As for the power interactions of ice, I am uncertain, though I know chilling effects and frostbite are part of their mechanics as well, I don't know the specifics.

That said I do know as a tank what adds randomly break aggro in scripted, and which do not. That Winter Ward is broken I have no doubt and have seen the way it drops aggro instantly upon cast. When my friend changed their rotation, and timing of Winter Ward in conjunction with their AoE, that they were able to overcome the broken mechanic. Consistently, I could see the change in the adds behavior as Winter Ward was cast, for a mere moment. As soon as the dot hit, the add continued acting as it should.

Whether Ice tanks want to try it or not is entirely up to them. This strategy has worked effectively for the few Ice Tanks I know that I passed this along to. As a Fire toon, it makes little difference to me either way. I suppose I could take some delight in anything Ice being broken, as so many seem to believe Fire is. But rather I looked at Ice tanks as being a tank like myself. A lonely role, as there is very few occasions where more then one is wanted or welcomed. I offered what help I could to others in the tanking community. Take it or leave it