Why more women don't play

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Quantum Edge, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I did a Nexus run this afternoon, one of the DPS's was rage power. The toon was female. For some reason, this compelled 3 other people people to make jokes during the duration of the raid about menstruation. The DPS with rage power was silent this whole time. I can make the assumption from this silence that the player was female as well.

This was a pug group, this wasn't a group of cads taking advantage of familiarity, it was a group of men who have absolutely no sense of what is appropriate and not to talk about with people you don't know.
    • Like x 24
  2. TheHeartbreakkid New Player

My wife plays. She posts here, too. :) I am a lucky guy.
    • Like x 10
  3. ManaBaddMan New Player

how does this affect game play? what does this have to do with anything?

even if this was, at all, relevant, important or even just interesting; it is all based on your assumptions.
    • Like x 5
  4. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I hope she never has the misfortune of running across these dopes.
    • Like x 7
  5. Brice Allen Loyal Player

Fixed that for you.
    • Like x 27
  6. TheHeartbreakkid New Player

She only uses mic sometimes, once in awhile. Too many 'thirsty' guys on dc universe. We used to laugh at it, now we just feel pity for some people lol.
    • Like x 12
  7. MercPony Devoted Player

Yeah I was wondering when some immature kids would start making PMS jokes about female toons using the Rage powers. Those kinds of jokes are never funny.

This stuff is why I won't use my mic on DCUO. Better to let the jokes just go over your head than give them more fuel for it. I admit this is why I made a male toon when I decided to test Rage powers also.
    • Like x 9
  8. Rosen Krone New Player

So, did you interrupt these guys and tell them to knock it off? I want to presume that since you're here sharing the story with us, you did something heroic...
    • Like x 4
  9. X-zero Loyal Player

That is not really cool even for friends, but really horrible when you don't know the other person
    • Like x 1
  10. Black Prime New Player

We have woman, not girls, that have played in our league. Woman do have to be a little thick skinned to play this. There are alot of little boys who have to be that guy that says the off the wall comment. You will get this in life as well. Thats why most dont get on mics and the ones that do find leagues where the guys in there wont make them feel uncomfortable every day they log in. But even leagues have the one guy who wants to make the jokes, sorry boy, and run them off.
    • Like x 3
  11. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Turned on the mic after the Omega drone and told them to muzzle it, that without a mic they had no way of knowing who they were offending. The raid went dead quiet for the duration.
    • Like x 4
  12. DaiKaiJu New Player

[IMG]

Know your meme's

Seriously though, Just got to ignore some people sometimes. This is a game, not a "Charity Ball"
    You going to get everybody from Kids and adults to smart kids and silly/immature adults, but we all like this game. Just remember that you choose the pug life on this one.
    • Like x 6
  13. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

Bro, you serious right now?
    • Like x 15
  14. DaiKaiJu New Player

He is so serious bra....... You don't even know.
    • Like x 2
  15. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I can't think of any circumstance where it's appropriate to make jokes about menstruation. This isn't an issue of which fork goes on which side of the plate, or can your pinky stick out when you drink tea. This was rude, crass behaviour and it's what slows down %50 of the population from playing the game. There are a lot of women out there who can shrug this off, but there are a lot who can't, and to be honest shouldn't have to.
    • Like x 16
  16. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

I feel her pain. This is why I decided to never use a mic again. I don't feel pity for them. Seriously, all they have to do is get up and go outside and there's girls all around. I don't care about their anti social disorder, their depression, or anxiety, it's not my problem. But sometimes I feel like getting on a mic and just going off on them. I would make them cry and too be honest, this is why putting people in their place is so important, but it's nearly impossible to do in game.

Oh lawd Jeezus... That boy.
    • Like x 14
  17. Liongale Dedicated Player

I have so many rants to say about this, though usually it's just discussed between my friends (who are all female gamers). Now this isn't a stereotype against guy gamers, because it's not a majority. But it's still enough guys doing this to be a hassle. The harassment is really outrageous. One common thing is thes types seem to act 'entitled' towards girls. If they want to like you, or act in a particular way towards you, as harassing and demeaning as it is, then they seem to see no problem with it.

It's as if they are saying "If me acting like this is okay with me, then it better be okay with you. What's the problem?"

The biggest problem we had in DC was one certain league that thankfully finally disbanded, but oh my gosh they were the worst offenders of it. They would mega-harass anyone female in game with the rudest comments, and on top of it, phsycially grief them too (especially with Light Weight). Follow them around, stalk them, surround their character in groups and make lewd comments...

But that league might be out of commission now, but there's still playes like that. We may not be able to change these people's way of thinking, but we shouldn't have to tolerate it either. So make sure to put in a support ticket if someone really crosses the line in a way that starts to be dangerous to players. Because if we don't, they're going to spread. Group up. Make it worse for others. I've had these situations where I feel if I had reported their behavior early enough, it would not have gotten as bad as it did.

So that's my story. I know some guys are just awkward and harmless, but we know who and what crosses the line, and that's the kind of trouble I mean.
    • Like x 16
  18. Liongale Dedicated Player

The best thing a friend can do for another friend is put them in their place. Don't encourage bad behavior, call your friend out on it. That's what a true friend would do- make you a better person. It's a natural human response to be defensive toward critique... so that's why the best way is through a friend.

Though even that way, yeah, in a game, it's hard to do.
    • Like x 4
  19. Nemisor Committed Player

honestly probibly not the funiest thing in the world to joke about. and yeah bad taste if there is a lady present. but man do some people need to take their hands out of the politically correct jar and just man up.

im sorry if this offends you man but i get sooooo sick of limpwristed pansys naffing on about " oh noes you cant say that, somone might be offended, but they havnt said they are offened therefore i shall be offended for them, the poor little darlings"

i have alot of chick mates, sister and a wife and i have to say if they were the type that played dcuo they would of had a chuckle at that.
    • Like x 6
  20. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

It truly is. I wish they were more strict on punishments for these people. I've had my fair share of the situation you told us about above, but some guys are more persistent than that. Way more persistent. Like making Alts just to talk to you persistent. This is why I will always push for an Account bound ignoring option. I would love this option so much and it would be one of the best additions to in game anti bullying.
    • Like x 10
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.