Why it's better to be lower CR...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SirMuttonChops, May 10, 2015.

1. SirMuttonChops New Player

Besides the obvious bug of lower gear having better stats than higher CR gear... (tl;dr is the 2nd post)

Full 98 Gear: CR112.69
    Full 99 Gear: CR113.85
    Full 100 Gear: CR115
    Full 101 Gear: CR116.14 (CR116.2 with Mask of OP)

Marks from T6a: 54 (5 from Solos, 4 from Duos, 15 from Alerts, 30 from Raids)
    Marks from T6b: 67 (3 from Solos, 2 from Bounty, 2 from Duo, 20 from Alerts, 40 from Raids)
    Marks from T6: 121 (39 Daily and 72 Weekly)

Marks from T7: 12 Daily and 20 Weekly (3 from Solo, 4 from Duos, 5 from Alert, 20 from Raids)

The idea is that, once you hit CR117, you no longer get Marks of Victory from running T6 content. So, as your gear increases from 98 to 101, your potential to buy 108 vendor gear decreases.

To get the most out of your MoV (and the most out of T6 content before you are forced into CR117 and stuck in T7), you want the LOWEST CR increase per MoV.

[IMG]

As a result, you should purchase the hands/feet/waist first, then the weapon, then the shoulders, etc. (Assuming full 98 gear only) That is worth 255 MoV. With the 100 Mark Cap, plus all the daily T6 content you can run on DLC launch day. You would need an additional 34 MoV from outside sources (Vault, Promethium Lockboxes, and T7 content).

Once you reach CR117, it doesn't matter which vendor gear you purchase next, as you won’t be able to access T6 content for marks regardless of which piece you purchase.

Here are scenarios for each level of gear:

Player A is full 98 and capped on MoV when the DLC Launches.
    1) Buys 108 Hands and Waist. 10/100 MoV
    2) Runs all T6 Raids. 80/100
    3) Buys 108 Feet. 35/100
    4) Runs rest of T6 content. 76/100
    5) Buys 108 Weapon. 6/100
    6) Now CR115.99. Runs all of the new T7 content. 38/100
    7) Runs vault. 39/100
    8) Saves marks and runs daily T6 and T7 content the next day before opening PLBs. 90+/100
    9) Purchases more 108 vendor gear. Which gear is a matter of preference.
    10) Now stuck in T7 and can only earn 12 marks per day.

Player B is full 99 and capped on MoV when the DLC Launches.
    3) Buys 108 Feet. 35/100
    6) Now CR116.82 (might be rounded). Regardless, runs all of the new T7 content. 38/100
    7) Runs vault. 39/100
    8a) If rounded up, open all lockboxes and run T7 content the next day. 51+/100
    8b) If not, run T6 and T7 content the next day before opening PLBs. 90+/100
    9a) Can continue saving marks or purchase more 108 vendor gear.
    9b) Purchases more 108 vendor gear. Which gear is a matter of preference.
    10a) Now stuck in T7 and can only earn 12 marks per day.

Player C is full 100 and capped on MoV when the DLC Launches.
    3) Buys 108 Feet. 35/100
    6) Now CR117.64 and cannot access T6 content.
    7) Now stuck in T7 and can only earn 12 marks per day.
    8) Runs new T7 content, runs the vault, and opens all PLBs. 39+/100

Player D is full 101 and capped on MoV when the DLC Launches.
    1) Buys 108 Hands, Waist, or Feet. 55/100 MoV
    2) Runs any T6 content to cap out again. 100/100 MoV
    3) Buys any 108 piece of gear. 30/100 to 80/100
    4) Now stuck in T7 content and can only earn 12 marks per day.
    5) Buys more gear before and/or after running new T7 content. Matter of preference.

Final Note: This involves zero replays spent on content. If you’re planning on spending a bunch of replays, then you may not care about vendor gear anyways.
    Resources: http://odyssey-gaming.net/combatrating
    • Like x 10
  2. SirMuttonChops New Player

Conclusion:
    Players that have full 98 gear can buy 4 pieces of 108 gear on DLC launch day. They can run more t6 content the next day and purchase a 5th piece of 108 gear before reaching cr117.

Players that have full 99 gear can buy 4 pieces of 108 gear on DLC launch day. This may or may not put them at cr117. It all depends on how DCUO rounds CR. There’s a chance that these players can earn a 5th piece of gear before reaching cr117.

Players that have full 100 gear can buy 4 pieces of 108 gear on DLC launch day. This puts them at cr117 and they won’t be able to run T6 content any longer to earn MoV.

Players that have full 101 gear can only buy 2 pieces of 108 gear on DLC launch day. They then can only access the new DLC content to earn MoV.

Since most players have a mix of 98-101 gear, the general rule is to upgrade the highest gear to 108 first, especially if it is a hand/waist/feet/weapon. You might want to play with the calculator to determine which pieces you’re better off purchasing first to get the most out of your marks.

Also: anyone else think it's funny that everyone complained about 98 gear dropping in Throne, even in Elite, and now it looks like it's better to have worn that instead of the 101? Heh.
    • Like x 7
  3. Derio 15000 Post Club

Key is to buy the Weapon you want first. Then buy all the small stuff. Keep delaying as long as possible. However I dont see the point really. Once you have all the vendor gear from the HoP pt2. You have nothing else to spend marks on. Unless you are new and havent completed the rare style vendor.
  4. BigDaddyDru New Player

Damn Mutton, didn't know you were THIS passionate about the Updated Changes. Fortunately for someone like myself, the luxuries of Replay Badges will have me Fully Elite 110 Geared in no time. The Bottom line is you can try and avoid an inevitable progression through what you are suggesting, but ultimately you are just delaying the inevitable and really wasting time.

What happens when you are maxed out on the Marks? As a Full 101 & OP Masked 116 Player my only option IS to get higher gear from T7 and better my character as ALL PVE content is currently useless and irrelevant to me (Prestige is my only reward for running ANY PVE Content). Ultimately that means I'll have to run as much of the new content as possible, and if I want to KEEP my character progressed and maintained in a TIMELY MANNER, I'll have to use Replay Badges.

In conclusion, under this new Update and System, players with the REPLAYS are the players with the POWER. Get to know them and get to know them well! ;)
  5. SirMuttonChops New Player

I have always and will always ask for fairness in this game. As someone who fluctuates between premium and legendary, I've always thought of how updates affect all players. Many of us also refuse to use replay badges.
    • Like x 8
  6. BumblingB I got better.

The mark acquisition isn't going to matter come the cr slider changes in the coming episodes that are going to be monthly.

Also, if you are trying to delay your bracket, don't buy the whole set and double up on your role. So like buy hands for role and dps.

Look at it this way, you will have access to the mark in the previous tier. That is completely new. Take AF1 for example. 3 solos missions, 2 IAs solos, 2 duos, 1 alert.

In any regard, the devs prefer you get dropped gear anyways.
    • Like x 1
  7. Yuin Level 30

I'm impressed by how long you've been able to keep the joke running still.
  8. sarge New Player

I was trying to build up an alt CR110 so I ran patrol catastrophy to replace a 90 chest piece I had with the 98 piece I got. Problem is the vit and Dom are higher on the 90 piece. Both are tuned troll gear but the T5 gear is better. So frustrating... What a waste, its like being ripped off because that instance is worth 12replays and the reward is useless even to a T5.
  9. WildcatHunter Committed Player

I'm an altoholic I use these first tier dlc's to bring my alts up. Thanks for running the numbers. I recently showed someone in t4 there are plenty of loot drops and marks to complete the tier in one week but they instantly turned in to a uspc villain. Made me think of a quote I saw somewhere about negative people will always have a problem for every solution.
  10. Kroye Loyal Player

Well written, Sir - thanks for the effort and detail. I now have a roadmap.
    • Like x 1
  11. thedemonocus Loyal Player

These new marks are all about selling replays.
  12. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Must be new here.
    Everything ever done in this game is made to sell something. Whether that be DLC's, Legendary or Replays. Name almost anything and people can tell you what it helped sell.
  13. Proto1118 Committed Player

Buy the same level gear for your other role to delay the inevitable. Rings, face, and neck first.

Edit - And Synthetic mods. Unless its changed, we're also forgetting that we can choose an extra mark instead of gear.
  14. BigBabyGeezuz Dedicated Player

Why not just play the new DLC and not worry about farming marks from old content?
    • Like x 3
  15. SirMuttonChops New Player

Efficient ways of earning gear is something that transcends tiers of players. Whether you are just looking for something new to do, or you only want to PvP, or you're looking for challenging content, good and notable rewards are always what people want. Round shirts/pet trinkets from SM, 101 gear from TotD E, 88 gear from An Epic Odyssey, and of course associated feats/headlines; people have made a fuss about all of these. And purchasable gear is just another form of reward with 0 luck involved.

What's more, people demanding CR's in LFG for content (a false but prevalent measure of player skill) encourages players to raise their CR as fast as possible. So, this format allows you to keep your CR at a minimum in order to quickly shoot up above everyone else to the next "minimum" that you need.

Granted, this is a lot like a Rabbit v. Hare mentality, purposefully falling behind in order to shoot ahead later. But the only end to this race is when the game shuts down, and then we all lose it.

Remember, everyone wants more loot.
    • Like x 3
  16. Unida Dedicated Player

i've pretty much decided that I'm gonna take one of my characters up past 116 and see how it goes. if it's good, ill bring the rest - if it's frustrating and tiresome (as i expect it will be) ill just structure my DCUO time around when it makes sense to play, which seems to be 'less often'.

I'll probably spend some time in the new stuff, get it down then run it with whoever wants to do it in the league until all my toons are locked, then wait until reset.

back in the day i would have put a lot of time into the gearing and replays, but with all that's happened to the game recently, my heart just isnt into wasting the money OR the time.

never felt so apathetic about DCUO before, kinda makes me a lil sad in a way.
  17. Unida Dedicated Player

the sad part about ^ is that they have done a rather weak job at microtransactions outside of aura boxes. I'd say the bulk of the replays are purchased during sales or accumulated via subs or, yes again, aura boxes.

they could have made a TON by making unique vanity or base items that people actually WANTED. You know, meeting demand with supply... odd concept i know :p

I want....

Content being locked to tiers to be gone. Instances are band scalable. ALL instances - ie T7 Kahndaq with T7 rewards at T7 difficulty, group CR max is lowest group member CR. Then all DLC/Episodes are relevant to all players and subbing all of a sudden seems like its worth it....

Then I want a massive push to more open world events - driven by actual ACTIVE in-game GM's RP'ing to the theme of the game....

Then I want an overboard amount of marketplace exclusive styles and base items at a logical prices. ie i'd be 100000% more likely to buy 3 cool things @ $2 each than one cool thing which is $5. they need to forget about over priced margins and gain $ by volume, not pricing themselves out of the market.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd i also want 'upgradable' power animation packs - IE a volcanic fire pack, replaces all effects with lava themed stuff, or whatever, just vanity stuff....

small list :p

make it so, DCUO!
    • Like x 1
  18. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Exactly.

Why are people so hung up on marks and relevant content?

If you're past the T6 stuff and into T7... just run that and go at the pace that is 'intended'. The reason for the 1 mark system relevancy tier is to maintain the longevity of the DLC. It's essentially no different than if a new symbol / mark was added to DLC14.

If you still need to run T6 stuff for feats, then do that....you don't need the marks anymore
    • Like x 1
  19. MetalMario Loyal Player

This is the first time we can run previous tiers to get relevant marks for progression. I think what we have now is more than fair in that regard. It's the previous tiers that seem to be cut off at odd points. I realize they have stuff to run still, but it seems awkward/wrong to be cut out of T1 content before your T1 set is completed, for example.
    • Like x 3
  20. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I simply not going to run a single piece of the new content. For the next 3 months I will be doing t6 grind earning MoV to finish off the rare style vendor...
    • Like x 1