Why can't we break out of the DPS cycle?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MentosTroll, Jun 29, 2015.

1. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Fire, Ice, Gadgets are better than Mental again. I'm sure when HL, Nature, Elec comes out they'll be top 3. Why can't we ever break out of this cycle?
    What do you guys think?
    • Like x 3
  2. ACW37162 Loyal Player

There getting to where they are roughly the same give or take.

After rage gets a little bump it will come down player knowledge, skill, and (gasp) all those meaningless skill points.

As to breaking out of the DCUOPS cycle DPS is what drives the game.
    That won't change till they shut the servers down
    • Like x 5
  3. Quantom Boy Committed Player

I find it funny that 3 powers in this game are basically the same things but with different animations. Quantum, mental and gadgets. All do crappy damage until you hit the big boom power, emp for gadgets, mass terror for mental and time bomb for quantum.
    • Like x 1
  4. Broken Soui Dedicated Player

I think you're a little misinformed. Currently Sorcery, Celestial, Quantum, Fire, Ice, Gadgets, Earth, Mental, Munitions AM's are all fairly balanced(as close as can be). The last 3 updated powers are NOT better then the previous
    • Like x 10
  5. Kharhaz Committed Player

What do I think? Why cant Earth get a decent go at any kind of update?

Seriously, why do the devs take every Earth update to be the lowest of the low, why is it when Earth gets an update, all the powers that have had recent updates before see Earth as the reason to DEMAND another update.

Ice and Electric had updates before Earth, then Earth got one, then Electric and Ice DEMANDED another one.

Heres one, as an EARTH player, GIVE ME MY ******* BUFF!

Dont make me wait another couple of years, GIVE ME MY BUFF.

Screw what other powers demand, as a long term customer and not flavor of the month, GIVE ME MY UPDATE!

Why cant we break out of the DPS cycle? Pay to Win.
    • Like x 2
  6. XODUIS Committed Player

Why won't people realize that if every thing was on the same playing field there'd be no reason to use different powers. Yes, some powers will be better than others. That's just the way it is.
    • Like x 1
  7. MentosTroll Loyal Player

What do you mean? Every power should be equal. This is not a fighting game where you can just pick another character, you have to pay to change.
    • Like x 3
  8. Kharhaz Committed Player

Why wont players realise, they are game to make more money?
    • Like x 2
  9. XODUIS Committed Player

There would be literally no reason to change powers if every power was exactly the same(Remember DCUO loves to milk it's playerbase). In literally every single competitive game there's always that one gun/weapon/character that is stronger than others. That's just the way it is. DCUO isn't exclusive to that.
  10. MentosTroll Loyal Player

It's either the devs have been lying to us about "trying" to achieve balance, or they just doesn't know how to achieve balance. Wonder which one is true.
    • Like x 2
  11. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

Unfortunately, the earth is never in this cycle! He is always below ...
    I've never seen the earth be top DPS! In all these years!:(
    • Like x 1
  12. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Well the games that hide their "strongest" weapon/character behind a pay wall are usually the worst kind of games, I don't think DCUO wants to be that scummy
    • Like x 1
  13. Jafin 10000 Post Club

That's because they have the same Advanced Mechanic - Advanced Interactions. Just like how Mobile Focused Attack powers (Ice, Fire, Munitions) are basically the same thing but with different animations. Granted, on that list Munitions is a fair bit different to Fire and Ice. Powers that share the same Advanced Mechanic are intended to be similar but with different animations. If all powers were burst powers then you could argue that every single ability in the game is the same but with a different animation.
    • Like x 3
  14. Reformed New Player

Because if they did become balanced, then the devs would need to focus on updating much-needed, important aspects of the game.

And we can't have that...
    • Like x 1
  15. Southbeatz Well-Known Player

Devs probably update powers for dps like they do because they know people will spend money to change powers. Devs probably care more about making quick money for the game rather than providing an overall better game for everyone to enjoy because fixing problems with the game will not make the game any money but improving powers often sells power respec tokens. I believe the devs want to do more to this game but at the end of the day it all comes down to greed. Perhaps it's higher ups above the devs dictating things to be this way, who knows.

I am taking an indefinite break from this game because even on alts it's just so insanely easy and fast to get through the tiers and gear up. Getting the cr108 vendor gear is not time consuming at all either if every daily instance is done for marks. The daily T6 and T7 instances are not time consuming either so it doesn't take up much time at all. GU47 caused fewer people to run lower tier content which made queue times slower so overall there is just less to do. I know there is LFG and leagues but that doesn't get things done always either.

I think this game would be far better off with content being purchased and there being no sub. Subbing to be able to spend cash is just lame and an annoying cash grab. There are plenty of equally as fun and better MMOs to play minus many of the cash grabs DCUO has so I'm not going to sub up again unless the devs really make that sub worth the money again. I might check on these forums from time to time but not much else.
    • Like x 1
  16. Sivulla Dedicated Player

Embrace the cycle.
  17. Chungweishan New Player

The main reason is players expect their method of playing should be the same as other players' methods, instead of appreciating the uniqueness of each powerset and evaluating their own actual skills, tactics, experience, and interaction with their teammates.

It always comes down to, "Hey, I saw _____ Powerset do more damage than me! I should be doing the same (or better because my Powerset has always been last place, and it's time for my Powerset to be the best)." Not actually realizing the many variables that comprises the final result seen on the Scoreboard (gear, buffs, mods, consumables, trinkets, skill innates, rotations (AM or not), combos (WM or not), positioning, teammates, NPCs, which mission, etc.).

Every time some player comes up with a brilliant method to do a lot of damage with a specific Powerset, every other Powerset complains about it. Updates are made to bar that creativity out of existence, usually with such prejudice it renders the whole powerset worthless. Well, until the next few Updates... maybe.

WM/AM, to me, is the Dev's answer to simplify combat for pedestrian players. They want everyone to make sure that their Combos/Rotation is the best and only way to play. Instead of players combining combos, rotations, clipping, canceling, and utilizing movement and iconic powers to do amazing damage that usually needs a very capable (support) team. Of course, capable and willing support players are rare, so that became the other problem.
    ---

Can it be solved? No. Unless you want to homogenize every Powerset with only the animations/graphic effects looking different. Then people will just complain about the weapon combos or any other factors that may create a perceived imbalance.
    • Like x 1
  18. FlowerFly New Player

Yea this is what kiling this game but devs dont wana listen so they gona kill it .
  19. FlowerFly New Player

Yea right if u raid with same powers as yours in same raids and at the end u notice that yours dps sucks coz ather guy did twice more dmg u asking him for loadsout even if he say he never gona give his loadsout its not to hard to guess what he is using so u already know and u gona copy his loadsout or u from the moon or something ?U might also spend some time learn yours power by yourself then u gana have the best loadsout ever and athers gona coppy u coz people are not stupid and thats how it is theres nothing u can do.
    Problem is never ending rewamp coz u can have the best loadsout as rage and u gona be twices bad then mental till devs do next rewamp and rage gona be on top once more thats BS.
  20. Xibo Loyal Player

is the community's fault.
    • Like x 1