Where do the powers stand atm?

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by MaverickRaven657, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

I'm not asking for a tier list necessarily; I'm more interested in how you guys feel the powers are now compared to what they are on live. I'm really only interested in Ice, Sorcery and Munitions, so I've really only kept up with them.

IMHO, Ice was a "top tier" power, and I feel as if many considered it that way as well. I loved it because it was a great DPS power and it was probably second best tank (in many situations even best tank)

Munitions was a great DPS, and a serviceable troll. I loved Big Gun, the shields, and the power back was good as well. I saw it as pretty much the ice of trolling.

Sorcery, also like ice and Munitions, is great at everything it does. It got some attention during the revamp, but luckily (for me and sorcery fans like me, remained great)

As far as I'm concerned, Ice and Munitions have been really victimized (and I say in comparison to what they used to be). I know everyone wants things to be balanced, but I disagree. I was one of the few that liked FOTM, it spices things up, and if you're serious about the game, it forces you to learn new powers/strategies. Before you tear my head off, check out this video:

So, that's just my opinion, how do you guys think the powers are stacking up?
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Overall if you're looking for a standard loadout, nothing fancy then all of the powers generally match up.

If you're looking for a scoreboard killer loadout, some of the powers don't really have that, like sorc, or electric. A few powers have over the top rotations that really stand out like rage or HL. Thing is the over the top loadouts are mostly all situational, as in you need the right set up and environment to pull them off, such HL may require more then two trolls, rage you need to melee, stuff like that. That's what puts them on top of AMs currently, cause AMs can be done anywhere just about. So there's a "one power/loadout to rule all" discrepancy that you don't really see in the revamp (yet..).
    • Like x 1
  3. Celestial Powers Committed Player

Healing:

Live (Difficult Content) -

T1 Nature
    T1 Celestial (If the room design is large, Celestial trumps Nature due to range)
    T2 Sorcery
    T3 Electric

Test (Non Difficult Content) -

T1 Celestial
    T1 Electric (Needs minor tweaks)
    T4 Nature (Needs tweaks)
    T5 Sorcery (Needs a miracle)

Nature and Sorcery might as well not even exist in the game, they're severely outclassed.
  4. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

I will admit that I haven't tried electricity on test, but from what I heard, the healing is great and the DPS is even better. I tinkered with the idea after hearing how great it was, but after seeing some videos on it, I realized I was outta my depth lol.
  5. Earth Sisters Well-Known Player

The Extra Credits video doesn't apply well to a coop game. Note that all the examples given use PvP. In coop, no one is trying to find the weakness of "the best", they just gravitate towards it... which is a lame money grab, since it costs $10 to switch. I remember when AM dropped, and Quantum was the first to get it... became the top power within a week. And look how long Electricity has languished on live!

Now, that being said, it's impossible to have perfect balance AND have unique powers. On live, Earth's pet has a better alpha strike than Sorc's. My Sorc main usually is top DPS when new content drops, but as average CR goes up and adds and bosses die much quicker, my sorc starts falling to the middle of the pack. I'm fine with that. What I wasn't happy with was my elec alt always at last place, regardless of how long the DOTs ran.
    • Like x 2
  6. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

I think that a fast paced game like this puts DOTs at a disadvantage right from the get. Mobs don't last long enough for the DOTs to actually put any significant damage. Mind you, I'm fine with this because I'm not a scoreboard chaser. What is annoying is the taunting you can get from those that do chase. It's a ridiculous brag, we are all in a PVE environment, which is also why I don't think this could ever be P2W (but that's something else for another day).

I actually have made those exact same points before; in a game with unique powers, there can never be balance. Just imagine for a moment if there was balance. For that to happen, you'd probably end up with powers that share the same effects, they'd only have different names with different "skins".

I hate what they did with tanking, mostly because sometimes I just wanna turtle tank. Active tanking isn't the end of the world or anything, but it does feel like we are being forced to change our entire perspective on tanking(because we are). It bothers me a bit, but all it means is that tanking is going back to a much earlier time. After all, before the damage penalty given to tanks and healers, tanks were putting in some damage just to help out.

I love the fact that now we have options to go with, everyone can have different loadouts suited to their tastes. Of course most ppl are gonna go with whatever is "meta" at the time, but whatever, it's still great to have options.

All that being said, if optimized, I believe that some of the powers will stand out. How does Earth play? I bet all the pet powers have somewhat of an edge... I'm most likely keeping my healer as Sorc, but I think my Ice tank and Munitions troll are gonna change powers.

I love hearing the different opinions though.
    • Like x 1
  7. Cold Fusion Well-Known Player

So you wouldn't rather "spice things up" on your time table?

If there was a closer balance between all powers you could choose when and what you want to be.. instead of that decision being made for you by lack of power set update balance or bad attempts at balance.

You could be a different power every week if you wanted to... I don't change to FOTM... But surely people that do would be happier playing what they want when they want and still do well on a score board.
  8. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

There are things that I didn't like about it, for example, when it was going on, it was easy to believe that it might have been going on just as a cash grab. Regardless, if you think that FOTM is a dead thing... it's still alive and well, perhaps it's in subtle ways, but it's still alive. The fact that electricity and nature took forever to get up to par is an example of that, in that it's two healer powers that have been neglected for such a long time, that being any type of healer power was less attractive by half. Even the other powers aren't balanced greatly.

Honestly though, I don't care about it that much to defend it further. I just really don't think it's gotten so much better to think that FOTM is dead, or that it'll ever be dead.
  9. Mighty Committed Player

Translation: I have anxiety about dpsing in a meta where I can't just faceroll with biggun, ice elemental and arctic gust, and then just change to whatever is the next low-risk, low-skill level, epic reward power.
    • Like x 1
  10. Cold Fusion Well-Known Player

Who said it was dead...lol

Every raid has either 2 mental and 1 munitions or 2 munitions and 1 mental.... Alerts have 1 of each or at least 1 of either... FOTM is far from dead right now... But if anything more ridiculous than ever.
    • Like x 1
  11. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Ice is actually very solid from what I've experienced. Sure you don't get big damage from AG anymore, but that means the Door is open for plenty of loadouts to be used. I played Ice before and after the Advanced Mechanic Era, so I know what I'm talking about.

For Reference: Here's the loadout I used with PFTT and plenty of sp spec'd into might.

RG(Resonating Gale) Cold Snap, Wintry Tempest, Arctic gust, and then I place in a supercharge of choice(Probably Ice elemental, or the hibernation healing SC)
    Bilzzard could use a DPS boost, Perferably I'd like it to match what Munitions' Mounted Turret can do now.
    Snow Devil is also meh, not worth the 300 power cost.

To tell you the truth, the only reason Ice is competitive on live right now is due to two reasons: 1) The Ice Elemental exploit/trick. 2) Trash mob damage from Arctic gust.
    Otherwise Ice isn't nearly as good as Gadgets/Mental in terms of their sheer DPS output.
    Same thing goes for Munitions, Munitions was rubbish on Live. You wanna know why people carry Munitions on Live? Biggun, that's why; otherwise munitions is fairly meh in the DPS department, and I would say worse than ice due to the setup time to activate Bullet Frenzy.

Munitions still does need some work here and there; but I think it's alright overall. Because with Munitions, Once Biggun got nerfed; everyone and I do mean everyone was complaining about it. The testing feedback thread was flooded with Back and Forth Disputes about Biggun being nerfed, this just proves my statement about people choosing Munitions only for biggun on live is correct.

Honestly It could be worse, Ice and Munitions could be getting the Nature Treatment right now.
    • Like x 1
  12. spack2k Steadfast Player

fixed that for you :)

just happened to be the 3 powers with best SCs in game , i guess.
    • Like x 1
  13. monaka Well-Known Player

So, when was this? Which great period in DCUO tanking history are you referring to?

In which period of the game were tanks and healers putting in some damage just to help out?

I hope you are not talking about the alpha or beta testing phase of the game because in so far as my understanding goes, the tank and heal penalty was first removed by GU 38.