What's the point of Developer Discussions?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Rokyn, May 30, 2015.

1. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Every time a power gets updated and you ask us to report feedback and bugs, why do we never get replies from developers? The section is used to "initiate" discussions with developers yet I see some developers only post one time in a entire 16 page thread. All the ideas people have and reproducible data but it's honestly super aggravating to not get any feedback or reply. It's like we are talking to walls.

We aren't robots that's for sure. We appreciate and love communication as human beings. But sometimes even I give up on testing or brain storming ideas when I feel like no one is listening to me. And why is there always a front when we as a community suggest something? It's like our opinions don't matter or you guys just believe your ideas of the game to be better just because you know more about the game than us puny gamers.

Take the Aftershock AM vs Pet AM. We were completely shut down and argued that the Pets are the AM of Earth when clearly a majority of the Earth player base felt Aftershocks to be what represents Earth. Don't the majority always win or does one developer's idea of what something is..... win out regardless? Take Mental, Fire, Rage Ranged AM, HL PVE buff, PVP, ideas for content, Earth AM, and other stuff as examples.

What do you guys think? Should we continue to give feedback or should the company implement improvements to the customer service and communication between us and the developers? Right now Mepps is the man in charge of communication but he's only ONE man.
    • Like x 3
  2. Supergirly Dedicated Player

I think that forum posters are a minority of the game. I doubt most people ever come here to voice any concerns. Sadly, that is how it is. Only the devs have real data on who is on or not and what the players play. So I think that if they only catered to the forums, the game would die. We do not have the big picture,
    • Like x 2
  3. Derio 15000 Post Club

Reason why everyone changed to mental right now.
    • Like x 1
  4. same Johnny Dedicated Player

The thing that irks me the most regarding the apparent lack of communication is when bugs are reported on test and they make it live anyway. There's been several case like that in the past. So yes, I agree, sometimes it feels like a waste of time to test stuff. And even worse, sometimes it feels like only a certain type or group of player is listened to, but hey...

On an unrelated note, anyone up for An Epic Odyssey and In One Piece feats?

Mental is a perfect example. One of the very first complaints about the AM was how restrictive it was. When commenting on the very limited selection of 4 (FOUR) powers to trigger the final burst damage, official reply was "this is what you're going to get". Disappointing.
    • Like x 1
  5. Venus Void Dedicated Player

That may be so, but some people do come here to voice their concerns, and those peoples concerns should at least be taken into consideration.
    • Like x 1
  6. X-zero Loyal Player

They are just topics started by the developers asking opinions on issues. Just because they ask doesn't mean they will go with the majority opinion. Sometimes people just want other opinions to get other view points.
    • Like x 1
  7. Lacedog Loyal Player

Developer discussion means the devs are supposed to discuss the topic with the community. That's not really up for debate. What's frustrating is when there isn't any discussion in these threads when valid points or bugs or issues are brought up. That's the point of this thread.
  8. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

not all mental ppl are DPS' just saying :)
  9. Supergirly Dedicated Player

How do you know they are not taken into consideration? Are you in the meeting, when they discuss it? I just mean that 100 - 1000 people on a forum are not the majority of players. As much as people here are vocal, we do not see the real truth of what is going on. If they catered to the vocal, the game would implode on itself.

People here cannot agree on one topic. Think about that. Do you want us to control their decisions? Tell me one topic that everyone here agrees on. It is impossible. So to make it simple, I bet they do take our opinions into consideration. They just don't have to tell us they did.
  10. Venus Void Dedicated Player

I never said "the majority of the players" I said the players here, as in on the forums.

How do I know they don't take our concerns into consideration? I'm pretty sure the OP covered that in his first post.

On a side note, they don't HAVE to tell us they took our opinions into consideration, but it sure would be nice if they did.
  11. Supergirly Dedicated Player

But the OP does not know either. Unless you are a developer, in their meetings, you do not know what they take into consideration. Just cause a small majority of the players say something is so, does not make it so. Most people here are just following the bandwagon and not even testing it for themselves. How do I know that?

It is easy to tell when people say "I have not played in a year, but I still think that "insert complaint here" should be fixed. I saw so many people complain about stat flattening that never even logged in. They took one look at a YouTube video and made their minds up on the entire update. All of that without even trying it themselves. I am looking at you PS players, that do not get on test servers. So that is how I know that people here do not always make the best decisions for this game.

I am not saying that no one ever makes legitimate concerns noticed, I am saying that the majority does not know how to make a game. Therefore, I would not take their opinions on how to make a game.
  12. Avian Dedicated Player

The amount of posts are the main problem. People seem to expect that the DEVs respond because of 30 pages of posts but forget that there probably aren't that many DEVs reading each thread. 30 pages of feedback and only a very small number of decent posts, it's like finding a needle in a hay stack. Some threads just take off and there will be more pages every time you check the thread, it's damn near impossible to keep up. They could spend all day reading and replying but who's going to do the job then? People forget that the DEVs have weekends as well, I remember threads that took off during the weekends, litteraly going from 1 page to 20+, and half the posts were "why haven't they responded yet?".

That being said I'd personally like if the DEVs would address some of the changes that would be possible based on the feedback as a guideline for what people could discuss rather than 30 pages of posts with different kinds of mechanics that we can never expect to see in game. Especially things that are/aren't possible to change during the testing period to GU release. That way the feedback can be centered around things that are realistic which in my opinion would lead to better results rather than 100 different ideas.
    • Like x 2
  13. Venus Void Dedicated Player

I knew my last post was gonna be pointless to you, I can see you don't care much for any opinions outside of your own.
    • Like x 1
  14. Lacedog Loyal Player

This. This very thing is what is frustrating. Take the pet thread for example. The only responses from tunso were basically about earth vs sorcery. Well that should never have been what was focused on. As soon as everything appeared to be working as intended, meaning no bugs, the discussion should of been if it needed improved or not.

As of now, many bugs have been found. Many suggestions have been given on how to improve the pet am for both earth and sorcery to compete at the top level with other powersets. And not a one of those subjects has been addressed by tunso. Hell, even a bug that improves the mechanic has been brought up and that's gone without response. And that is what's frustrating.
  15. Supergirly Dedicated Player

Actually, I did take your opinion into consideration. I just consider my own opinion too. The devs are not here to tell us all the ins and outs of the game. They are here to make a game. How do you expect them to respond all the time and still write code?

We do not know what they consider. No matter how much you think they do, it is just not possible for you to know what they think. I am happy that they don't listen to the forums, for most things. When they do, it is a disaster. Remember when they took away vote to kick? What kind of a nightmare was there in forums? That was what people wanted, and when they got it... BOOM.

So maybe they do take our posts into consideration, and maybe they choose to ignore them. We really do not know. I am not being rude about it either. I just think that we don't know what we don't know. :)
  16. Venus Void Dedicated Player

You think I'm expecting them to respond to every question and change things based on every opinion?
    I'm not.

I do however see many things people have said in test that were pretty much in mass agreement on, the devs did it their way anyways and it turned out terrible.

Take Mentals AM for instance, page after page after page of people in agreement that needing to use 5 tray powers for the AM was just ridiculous and would ruin the power, well they released it like that anyways, now look at it, what once was one of the most unique and fun powers, became a bland cookie-cutter power with only 1 power slot open for diversity in your loadout.

How about after they did that balance pass or whatever they called it that changed the timing and animations on a lot of powers? More pages and pages of people in agreement that they completely ruined HL before it even went live, it actually had to go live, and people had to come on the forums to complain for them to go out of their way to fix it, and still messed it up twice initially.

Oh how about fire? Every single post I read regarding fires AM on test was negative, they quoted low and inconsistent damage repeatedly, they discussed better ways to start its AM, did they devs listen or even respond?
    No, it had to go live first once again, then the players got to see it in action then we're forced to come here to complain, so they offered a slight update, allowing Volatility to activate on yourself because they thought it would help, well....here were are months later coming into GU 49 and discussions of yet another fire update because they still haven't got it right.
    • Like x 1
  17. Supergirly Dedicated Player

I actually agree with you on a lot of those points, but I still have to say that I do not know what the devs are doing, or what they consider. There might be other issues that we, the players, just do not see. It would be nice if they answered more, but I do not expect it. I do expect them to leave that up to Mepps and Spyttle to discuss though. I want the devs to work on the game, not appease the masses.
    • Like x 2
  18. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I've given up on that thread it's sad and tiring