What motivates you to continue playing?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SpicyMoonlight, Jan 27, 2017.

1. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

What is it exactly? I'm curious because I'm currently unable to answer this question myself.
    • Like x 7
  2. SYNDICOR2525 Dedicated Player

At this point......my friends and what is left of my leaguemates.
    • Like x 9
  3. krytine Loyal Player

The social part of the game keeping in touch with peoe i have played with for years on here
    • Like x 2
  4. Frank Zarjaz Committed Player

Because it's a videogame and I enjoy playing videogames.
    Sometimes when I'm not enjoying a particular videogame I'll go and play a different videogame for a while.
    Most of the time I'll have multiple videogames that I switch between.
    That's the great thing about videogames, you can pick them up and put them down whenever you feel like it.
    Ah videogames, completely inconsequential drama-free entertainment.
    • Like x 6
  5. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

If you cannot answer that, check if there is any motivation in you really, and then decide depending on what you find. There is nothing wrong about taking a break or saying goodbye.

In general, video games should motivate people by simply being fun to play, by making the time spent in them feeling entertaining.

MMOs specifically do not work that way anymore. They are utilizing a lot of "unhealthy" motivations to keep players along while the entertainment value is low and the content itself lacks fun.

- MMOs utilize "obligations" a player may feel towards friends, leaguemates, or their league in general to have players continue playing a game that wore off long ago
    - MMOs utilize social isolation a player may suffer in real life to keep them in the game, since the game offers "social contacts". You can identify some of those players by them using the "are you really a girl?" question :D
    - MMOs utilize the "work to achieve something" approach to offer players who don't get done any BS in their real lifes a substitute for feeling a success/reward
    - MMOs utilize personal disorders ranging from simple states like "needing routine" to more complex forms like compulsive sorting, completionism etc. to keep players in their game

And I'm sure you know more of those factors where MMOs utilize things not really fun and not really having a place in a game to keep players. Ask yourself if you are prone to some of these factors and if some of these may still hold you to a game while your real motivation is gone for good (since ages). Do not borrow someone else's motivation. Just take a break until your motivation and fun return - or try to you find it in a different product. Nobody turns into a bad person for leaving a game behind that is no fun anymore :D
    • Like x 5
  6. Sophie New Player

I hate these threads. Take a break. If you feel like coming back, then come back. If you don't, whatever, just leave.

I came back 2 months ago after a bit over a year break, starting fresh on a pc account, and I'm having a blast so far. Way more enjoyable than right before i took a break.
    • Like x 3
  7. Hale Well-Known Player

Cursing out league mates and the scorecard
    • Like x 4
  8. AberrantAngel Committed Player

I like the game. I play it my way. If the game feels like a grind one day, I stop the grind and q up random stuff, farm or just chat with my friends.
    The game good or bad is what you make of it. If you don't enjoy it , then find something you do like about the game and do that a little more. If there is not hinges you like then stop playing. Maybe you need a break or another Gane.
    The game is supposed to be fun if you are not having fun then find something else that brings you enjoyment.
    • Like x 2
  9. PhantomBulletPT Well-Known Player

I'm only playing this game because I'm still waiting for GTA VI or The Witcher 4 xD
    Of all the games I enjoy those 2 are the only games I actually can enjoy all the way.

When I finish a game I like I just play the one I hate the least until the other company releases a new game :D

When you're out of steak and there's no more money, what do you eat ? Instant noodles.
    No one actually likes them but you gotta do what you gotta do ...

This is my answer.
    • Like x 2
  10. Nodens Dedicated Player

Nothing motivates me to play it anymore. =(
    The current state of the game became the final straw for my leaguemates, who are now playing another game, and I don't blame them. I've been playing DCUO since open beta, and stuck around through all the hard times because of the potential this game had, hoping it would rebound. It never did, but became gradually worse over the years. -and just when the game had one foot in the grave, Jackster showed up and tossed a banana peel under the other one.
    I'm just waiting until I get paid, so I can move on and rejoin my leaguemates.
    • Like x 4
  11. Nodens Dedicated Player

Hey!!! What have you got against instant noodles?!?!? I love those! :D
  12. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Second job? Ask for a raise? Start running your groceries with a projected budget so you do not run out of steak before running out of money? Also, depending on where you live and how good you can actually deal with dead animals, hunting/poaching is an option (as pointed out, depending on where you live, outside of the laws).

We had the "Quicker, easier"-bit already in another thread, no? :D
  13. PhantomBulletPT Well-Known Player

I like the real deal but those instant noodles, damn xD
    Muh tummy cannot handle them.

I honestly don't understand if this is actually you responding to the lack of money or just another analogy :confused:
    Either way. I can hunt but animals today don't taste as good as the old ones (I hope I got this right xD)
  14. Pinky Well-Known Player

When Spytle left (read: got promoted) DCUO, I already felt the game's days were numbered. The 3rd iteration of Time Capsules really put the nail in the coffin for the game for me. I won't see the end coming. Because I doubt I'll be there. A new generation of naive players will be the innocent scapegoats who will be the last ones online when they finally pull the plug for the last time on DCUO's servers.
  15. SheerFaith Committed Player

Because the money I´v spend since beta..nothing more..
    • Like x 3
  16. PhantomBulletPT Well-Known Player

That's a nice legitimate answer.
    I've also done it, not my proudest decision but it's also not my worst decision xD
  17. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Just friends, nothing else.

Though tbh, I'm pretty sure you have other games. These kind of threads make me think that posters have like just this game or a 2.

Even though I'm currently burnt out, I do my dailies, chat a little with friends, log out if I get uber bored then play something else (currently Watch Dogs 2).
    • Like x 1
  18. PhantomBulletPT Well-Known Player

Not related to this thread.
    How's the driving in WD2 ? Is it still cancerous like WD1 ?
  19. Brother Allen Loyal Player

1.) Legends PVP
    2.) Sheer boredom paired with no desire to learn a new game.
    • Like x 4
  20. Zneeak Devoted Player

I feel this. Although, a part of me just kind of wanna forget about the money spent. :D

I don't really play at the moment though, I went back to premium and pretty much just run the CC event on my main along with the stabilizer event. If I stay online after that, I'll just mess around with my styles and maybe do some base-deco. The rest of my game-time I currently put on other games.