What keeps you around?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jacob Dragonhunter, May 5, 2019.

1. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

With the development team basically saying that CR Relevancy is staying in the game, I've felt like that marked the end of me enjoying my time with DCUO. (Because from my POV it kills replay value.)

Beyond that, though, I haven't logged in the game ever since the newest episode came out because I hadn't really been able to enjoy it or felt like logging in to que up for content or just doing the kill X Hundred Weekly was just a drag.

No, this isn't an I'm leaving thread. Rather, it's me asking the sole few of those who still enjoy the game about their perspective.

I feel personally, I've been sent to the Phantom Zone in an endless void, trying to search for a reason to enjoy the game, but I just haven't been able to.

What keeps you around after all this time with DCUO? And what do you like about it? What keeps you enjoying the game and what do you appreciate about it?

Enlighten me if you will.
  2. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I'm a DC fangirl, and I've always enjoyed creating my own characters and playing alongside my heroes, instead of *as* them. This is the perfect game for me, and what drew me in initially. That bit of joy hasn't quite left yet.

I did take a break from the game for a couple of months, just logging in every once in awhile and saying "meh" and leaving. I'd lost all interest.

When I came back, it was because I like the escapism of the game. I set myself mini-goals in game and try to accomplish them. I also stopped being obsessive about it and decided that I would just enjoy playing. It somehow worked. I put the game on a lower level of interest, and it managed to catch that interest.

I agree with you that the CR relevancy under the current circumstances seems ridiculous. I wonder if they were to run a "no CR relevancy" weekend how the player base would react.
  3. Wallachia Devoted Player

TBH I left the game over one year ago huehuehue br br
  4. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Replace 'Stern' with DCUO and 'say' with 'do'...

5. Schimaera Devoted Player

The game.
  6. recoil2 Dedicated Player

the one thing WoW and a vast majority of games with better game play don't have................... an extensive base system that let's me have the most epic three floor mansion in a haunted forest ever and the almost unparalleled character customization style system. if World of Warcraft didn't have the most garbage like and cringe worthily limited style customization system ever in transmogs i would be over there XD.
    • Like x 1
  7. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Gorillas. And Paradox Reapers. Oh, and Starros. Those are just so much fun to beat up. When I get bored, I head for the beach in Little Bohemia, or over to Central City, and I listen to the stupid things the mobs say as I beat them to a pulp. :D Quality entertainment in every "Pound them for Grodd!" and "We feel no pain!"
    • Like x 3
  8. recoil2 Dedicated Player

or my favorite "master, he devours us whole!!!!!".
  9. Brit Loyal Player

CR relevancy meant nothing to me. I came from a history of MMOs like Everquest and World of Warcraft, where gear was RNG drops, often that you had to roll against other players for. I have never played an MMO where I could go run low level content with my high level guy and receive anything relevant. The fact that there is a Marks system to purchase the best gear, instead of relying on RNG drops, that alone is a huge improvement from where I done in the past.

But what kept me around was the combat system. I love the combos and the active blocking and rolling. Ever since first beta testing DCUO, no other MMO has been able to make me feel satisfied with their combat. After playing a game that has a block button, why would I ever want to play a game where Block is a passive stat that is on my gear, just giving passive damage mitigation. F that noise.

That being said, yesterday I quit the game due to the ridiculous hard-reset crashes every 25 minutes. I just could not tolerate crashing 8+ times a night. Once they fix that, I'll be back again. And I'll hang out on the forums waiting for the fix. But in the meanwhile though, I'm just not willing to get booted so frequently that I can't finish a single raid.
    • Like x 3
  10. Azreaus Committed Player

Honestly? Nothing, been on another break since nov? (maybe earlier) as I'm underwhelmed by the content they put out these days ( corridor with adds, boss fight, corridor with adds, another boss fight all with mechanics that are usually over powered PDQ).
    • Like x 1
  11. Rainnifer Committed Player

I'm still new to the game I guess so I don't have much issues with any of it as much as everyone else (yet?) but the CR thing seems fine to me. There is very few games that give you a reason to actually play lower levels when you are high level, but they still have plenty of replayability (Such as Borderlands, why would you go to a level 10 area if you are level 30 and none of that gear will help you?) I've noticed some areas that you go through as you are leveling up, have another instance you queue with other players that is a higher level but the same thing (also like Borderlands and its True/Ultimate playthroughs.) maybe if they did more things this way people could play old content that is still within their relevancy, if a low level is struggling to queue, they have plenty other options to gear up and then they could do that same area at the higher level. These systems are not easy to balance for everyone as a whole though.

On topic; I'm a sucker for games that let me dress my character how I want to and I've been really enjoying the entire feel of this game. Like decorating my base/home, collecting things to give me a sense of completion, and playing my role to help my teammates which also makes me feel good lol. I've also been used to systems like the broker in past games I played so that part is enjoyable to have too. So far (this could change) I see the Time Capsules as just a bonus thing full of cool yet not entirely necessary things to have.
    • Like x 1
  12. granddaughterlover Active Player

DC fan girls, outdpsing cocky elitists, 5v5 chat madness, trade chat trolls, overall content that makes me nostalgic, some feat hunts, friends that are still around.
  13. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Obviously waiting to see what ObsidianChill uploads next
  14. EconoKnight XIII Legion

In priority:

Number one - I’m a DC comics fan.

Number two - the friends I’ve made and talk to.

Number three - checking off the lists so that I can feel like I’m working towards something and accomplished it. Inherent in this is maxing cr because it goes toward checking off style feats and the higher stat level makes the game more enjoyable to grind. And it is largely a grind for marks / renown - a grind made very unenjoyable when limited time to play is eaten by wipe after wipe after wipe. Some people do have families and jobs.
    • Like x 2
  15. High Troller Loyal Player

Leaving the game and not leaving the forums?
  16. Wallachia Devoted Player

I just came back from over one year of hiatus in the forums and you are already kicking me out!!!!
    • Like x 1
  17. SavageAF New Player

The only thing really keeping me on is the other players I have met on here. Most of them have quit over the years but there are still a large portion of them still playing and I enjoy playing with them and talking to them. Also no other game has fighting mechanics like this one. I just wish I knew why my character is so weak compared to others. For example
    Im Nature/341 sp/ 268 pve cr/ 101 pvp cr
    My friend is Celestial/ 290 sp/ 270 pve cr/ 100 pvp cr
    We have the same base mods
    Nearly the same artifact levels
    Nearly the same augment stats
    yet I have 38k might and he has 42k might
    now I dont understand why this is but I heard that if you buy episodes instead of membership you will get debuffed but I only own a few dlc episodes and have been buy membership
    Fix this before it becomes "f*ck this"
  18. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I continued to read the forums during my hiatus. I just didn't post. I wanted to see if anything improved or changed massively.
    • Like x 1
  19. AquiloFury Committed Player

There are several reasons that I stick around. I feel like I've invested too much time and money to walk away., I genuinely enjoy most of my time on the game, there is still so much I haven't done..I only have at max 270ish sp available and on my two water toons, I have 253..I have never gotten an artifact to 160..so yea...and then there are moments like the massive Doomsday spam that I was a part of this morning before shut down...
    • Like x 1
  20. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

I am retired, live alone, and playing MMO's is how I pass the time. I enjoy chatting with different people at times; it's how I socialize (I have 'digital friends'). I grew up reading comics as a kid, and Batman was my favorite. So a super-hero based MMO is enjoyable. I tend to do a lot of soloing, which means lots of just dailies and seasonals. The repetition can get old after a while, so that is when I take breaks.

I've never been into PvP in any game, so even if PvP in this game is ever fixed (read in Forums a ton of times that PvP is 'broken') I probably wouldn't do it. I'm not particularly crazy about the Feats=SP system of DCUO, but it is what it is. Way I see it, if while doing something I get a feat, great. If I don't, no problem.

The big thing is, don't let any game turn into a job. If it does, it's not fun anymore. And to me, the main reason you play an MMO is to have fun. Now if you want to be a really super player, then yes, sometimes you need to do a lot of research and grinding. But if that's what you LIKE, then what I may see as a 'job' is what someone else will seen as fun. That's my end.
    • Like x 3