What happened?!?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Jimp88, Nov 8, 2019.

1. TheLastSuperman Well-Known Player

GU47 started the decline of Open World PVP also coupled with players starting the game in pve phase when all the time prior they came off Brainiac's ship in pvp phase. I see how you're thinking about this but I'm seeing it differently, I do see your line of thinking and would be inclined to believe it if I hadn't witnessed GU47 turn a fun circus into a **** show and nothing has been the same since (nor "an improvement").
  2. Soul Dedicated Player

Unbalanced does not equal "Not well designed" once you consider its purpose. It was an open field never meant to be balanced, but it could still be played in a balanced fashion where the participants wanted it. A lot of people chose to be fair about their PvP interactions and a lot chose not to - It's the freedom of open world that made it great.

Literally every single change to PvP in instances, and even many PvE updates affected Open World. They gradually ruined it mostly with the removal of basic systems like the introduction of the Immunity System with GU13, and later on the removal of RPS with season 3 in 2013. And that's before the fiasco of WM/AM - which basically drove it to extinction on the USPC side.

This couldn't be more wrong. Like I stated before - Open world was affected by pretty much every single update and gradually became so unstable, so bad of an interaction that players couldn't enjoy it anymore. People who never before even bothered with Arenas queued into them just to enjoy the stat capping or the different capping measures introduced to instances because in open world the interaction was no longer enjoyable.
    This kind of mentality isn't gone on the player side - it was removed on the management side. By ignoring this side of the game, by completely REMOVING the option to start your character in the PvP phase. By presenting a front to their PvP community because it had differing opinions. (Which every single community - especially PvP communities have on every game)

Open world PvP did not die due to more content. Like in every game if the interaction is enjoyable you'd have people participating.
    Also, US Server Open World on the PvE side is extremely healthy due to many new players coming in - none of which even know a PvP option exists because it's unlisted and they can't access it until they visit the Watchtower/HoD and physically locate the phaser - which still informs them of nothing.

This categorization is once again false. The same players to completely dominate the competitive PvP scene come Megaserver always enjoyed spending their off time in between matches or PvEing (mostly to catch up on SP) running around the open world and looking for fun interactions. Slob and Buzz (SOE Live Champions) spent their time messing around in open world. Famigliadythrl, Defection, HouseofBatiatus, TapHoldClip, Public Enemies, Link, CryForBlood ..etc leagues who dominated the PvP scene spent their off time creating massive wars like in the videos I linked.

You can't separate the Open World and the Instanced PvP by skill. Just because Open World wasn't about skill or balance - doesn't mean those with the skill didn't primarily show interest in it, infact, that's just blatantly wrong.

At one point Open World was so damaged that those with real interest in fun and competitive PvP just didn't bother with it anymore - as Instances were getting capped. That came way later and after the damage was done.

The majority of players weren't forced to do anything, those who came with Megaserver had an option and back then Open World was still plenty lively.

And again, I have no idea what you're talking about - there were specialized events for PvP like Ring War and Diamond Heist.
    And even without them, MOSTLY without them, people chose to fool around in open world because it was just fun - the real incentive when you enjoy PvP. This isn't some philosophical debate over purpose - the purpose was PvP, the medium was freedom.

It should be clear at this point that Open World PvP not being a direct option to new players anymore is affecting (and have already affected) the PvP scene as a whole, but somehow you keep overlooking it. I don't think at this point it carries the majority of the weight of responsibility towards why PvP is where it is, because Arenas aren't PvP anymore they are just PvE against a player. I have no idea what you're queuing but if you are measuring by that standard you should switch to Legends where things are at-least somewhat balanced.

Which brings me to my personal experience lately, on the EU server there are some players still playing at a high level but on the US most don't even bother queuing Legends and those that do, usually perform like this:
    [IMG]

I rarely get more than 1 or 2 matches a night, usually with long 10-20 minutes pause in between queue pops on the US, and on EU there will literally be no matches popping unless known players log in to have their fix (which is at-least challenging when happens.)
    Legends are underrepresented for a reason - people who PvP these days don't even know what balance in this game looked like.
    Almost no one I know on the competitive scene of PvP ever addressed the Open World as you appear to do. Even when they wanted to gank, or have unfair interactions as you put it - the targets were always others they considered worth it in this way or another. And everyone knew it would escalate into all out PvP wars. Some spent most of their time just trying to get there because it was that much fun.
    • Like x 2
  3. Samantha Christiano Active Player

That is indeed true.
    It's a known thing in "DC" the characters and heroes and villains about letting emotions ruin their lives.
    Intellect over intelligence. Put feelings aside. Just do the job lol.
    • Like x 3
  4. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

It's common sense tbh, if you play pvp and then sub for sp's, gear, replay badges etc. to run pve just so your character will have more sp's than a pvper who doesn't sub etc.