What happened?!?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Jimp88, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Jimp88 New Player

I just came back to the game after a year or more off, made a new toon and at level 5 switch to the pvp open world instance to see if anyone I knew was still playing. I was shocked to find that I was the only player in Metropolis! So I thought maybe they all hang out in Gotham now...nope, no one there either! I only saw one other player in the time I was looking around - what happened to everyone? Does no one pvp anymore?
  2. BƖack Dedicated Player

Most Pvp players quit the game. The reason was because devs didn't listen to them and their requests about to fix Pvp and it is broken to this day, nothing really changed tbh. The devs have completely abandoned Pvp side along with that they made almost every Pvp player quit their product. I don't know if they actually realise that with this move they have lost many subscribers xd Anyway current DC is all about Pve now.
    • Like x 2
  3. Samantha Christiano Active Player

Maybe if players weren't so toxic and drama with each other in PvP.
    And if feedback was more peacefully constructive and positive.

Mepps had said time to time. Positive and constructive feedback is a way to get somewhere.
    Threads with people being negative and arguing at others posts doesn't get anywhere.

If people can just not argue at others. Give their feedback. If they don't agree to others. It's best to not comment. Its better where players can agree to others feedback.
    I can say that this doesn't guarantee it will help devs fix PvP. But it will be a miracle that 1 good thread when people have positive conversations that might inspire devs to bring some life back into PvP with small changes over the course of some months.
    Patience is the key.
    Also with in mind that PS4, PC, Xbox, Nindendo Switch all might have different coding work.

Also for console players that don't have computers for PC Test for new changes they if do in PvP to test.
    Might be better to add as PvP Events to test the changes for all servers and consoles to access. Before it goes live to Arenas and Legends PvP

Events Tab
    Legends PvP and Arena PvP
    * Limiting few maps for Test

I thought of just getting this out there. I just don't feel safe making a thread and then we all know what happens. Some will agree but then it becomes off topic and toxic.
    • Like x 2
  4. DemonLordMomo New Player

The devs should just make a pvp discussion thread. Like they do for Pve content and etc. There will surely be many things brought up to what's wrong with its current state. After getting a little bit of info they can start working on it for test server. Then further in they'll get even more information on what needs to be checked and changed. I agree with your console players suggestion as well. I hope the developers decide to give it a chance.
    • Like x 2
  5. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Well Said
  6. Ringz Dedicated Player

• Warning: The DCUO forums are for everyone. Please be respectful, constructive, and kind. Please welcome contrasting views and stay on topic. Do not insult or attack anyone.

Has absolutely nothing to do with players toxicity. Thats an old excuse made by mepps team to justify not wanting to get involve working on a complex game mode. Then players not interested in pvp or newer players spread false misinformation like you are.

Pvpers have been called truce years ago to get pvp fixed in done so in many different media ways with our best representatives.
    • Like x 6
  7. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

its telling there is none...isnt it??!!
  8. SugarHoneyIcedTeaMix Well-Known Player

there have been videos, threads, positive players who tried. and yet you want to put the current state of pvp on us........... ok
    • Like x 4
  9. Samantha Christiano Active Player

10. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

The problem is that if ten players post in the board, they will give twelve different opinions on what is wrong, an what needs to be done to fix it. Whichever fix gets done, nine of those players will insult and abuse the devs, and then rage quit the game. That has always been the issue - no matter which fixes were asked for (and done) the majority of the players seemed to be disappointed.

Now, if there was a requested change that was agreed on by the majority, then it might get done.
    • Like x 1
  11. BƖack Dedicated Player

Players wasn't angry at the beginning I remember times where Devs and its Community cooperated togheter in the matter of PvP. Back then people saw that devs care and listen to them. Today this is barely noticeable, the most possible answer that you will get is e.g '' we've no plans to fix PvP '' and that's it and no matter how constructive your thread will be.

The question is how many constructive threads you have to create to be actually noticed these days? How many surveys you have to fill to see real changes?
  12. Soul Dedicated Player

The are only two possible reasons for PvP being where it's at today:

1. DCUO's management &/or development team are incapable.

2. DCUO's management &/or development team have no interest in fixing PvP.

Any other "reason" is nothing but a poor excuse.
    Spinning this in anyway towards their customer base is either cowardice &/or the inability to admit failure.
    • Like x 2
  13. thirty six Loyal Player

Aside from leveling, there's not a lot of reason to be in open world, anymore,is what I believe is going on in pvp phase.

You can warp and teleport everywhere, now. There's no reason to come out of a night club or PD, and travel across the cities. There is, however, a reason to be in the warfronts, and there's beginning to be quite a few people in the pvp phase in the warfronts, now, and I'm having fun fighting them when I do see them :)
  14. Awsome Well-Known Player

I bought the game the day it came out. I lived on the PvP server. When they did the server merge, I stayed in the PvP phase. I used to love PvP. This game had such a fun dynamic to PvP. Then SOE ruined it.... and ruined it again.... then took the ruins, p***ed on them, and ruined them even harder. I havent been back to the PvP phase since at least 2015.

I no longer pvp, but I hope that someday, DBG will bring back the original PvP system and I can once again enjoy the game I used to love. Until then, I am stuck doing the daily PvE grind like most of the rest of the DCUO player base.
  15. L T Devoted Player

There have been. I've seen them. They generally don't agree on much besides "PVP is broken" though.

I've heard:
    • Immunity is critical to PVP.
    • Immunity wrecks PVP.
    • Gear Progression is key to PVP
    • Gear progression doesn't give enough of an advantage to PVP
    • Gear progression breaks PVP, because it's imbalanced.
    • Some kind of stat clamping is needed in PVP
    • Stat clamping/boosting is the worse thing that ever happened to PVP.
    • We should have mods for PVP.
    • I don't want to have to make separate mods for PVP.
    • We should force roles for PVP. Rock Paper Scissors was great.
    • I can never find the roles I need for my PVP team.
    • I miss forming hunting parties for open world PVP.
    • I gave up on open world PVP because I always got ganged up on...
    I'm probably forgetting a few areas of community disagreement. Even when there was polite discourse, there was never anything even resembling a consensus.

PVP seems like it's kind of on life support. Legends PVP is still relatively fun and not too imbalanced other than a couple of Legends. They just fixed a few bugs in legends a couple of weeks ago, too. Not for everyone though.
    • Like x 2
  16. Awsome Well-Known Player

I am in the rock paper scissors camp. I'm telling you, while there were people who didn't like it, they still played it. The new system is so bad that, those who don't like it (like myself) won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Going back to that system fixes most of the other disagreeing issues too:
    - Immunity can still be in the game, but its effectiveness is reduced since powers are very much prevalent now.
    - Gear progression is important, but not overpowered since you will still have people you can crush just based on your role. Same with stat clamping.
    - Mods would still be an issue
    - Roles would not be required, but are very much helpful depending on your opposition. Finding roles again isn't necissary since dps still works.

Your last point, open PvP just isn't for the faint of heart. Your gonna get ganked sometimes. Thats part of the fun. Fixing PvP will simply bring a lot of this back, but it won't fix the people who complain about this. You just can't have PvP cater to this kind of mindset.
  17. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

This is a really good list, while I agree there is disagreement it is difficult to say all of those disagreements actually count as a roadblock for moving forward. Since we don't actually know what is up for change we don't know if a lot of these points have any baring on PvP as it stands right now.

As listed some people want RPS back and some don't. But we have literally no info from the devs as to whether RPS is even on the table as something to comeback, so it's difficult use as a reason for the devs not moving forward. I'm not even saying it's definitely not a reason, just that we literally don't know one way or the other. Same thing goes with gear progression and stat clamping/boosting, who said it's even on the table for change?

The problem is there will always be disagreements. It's important to identify and separate those that are pertinent to moving forward from those that are wish-list disagreements for lack of a better term.
  18. L T Devoted Player

Glad you liked the list. I'm pretty sure everything is on the table. I'm also pretty sure that all of these posts get read and at least summarized to the dev team. But I think they're pretty gun-shy about PVP at this point...
    Here's the thing. They got feedback and changed PVP and by all accounts made it worse. Then listened to more feedback on how to fix it and made it even worse. Then listened to even more feedback and took the ruins, puked on them, and ruined them even harder. But they listened to player feedback at each and every stage.

Are they listening to the wrong people? Maybe.

Personally I think fixing PVP will take two Devs who play each other in matches on an internal server every day and make tweeks and changes until they get something fair and balanced and fun. What's preventing this from happening is that a healthy PVP community brings lots of players to the game but doesn't necessarily generate lots of money directly.

In the mean time, Legends is pretty good.
  19. VariableFire Loyal Player

You forgot the part where tweaks to satisfy these players have often made the game less enjoyable for PVE players who DO generate money for the game directly.

Like Weapon Mastery Melee getting nerfed because of PVP. Powers getting nerfed because of PVP. Movement mode getting gimped because of PVP.
    • Like x 1
  20. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

I disagree here. Immunities are on the table because the devs actually tried to implement that change. The ones I listed such as RPS can be considered like the people asking for jump cancelling to return. It's an old mechanic we have no reason to assume is even viable let alone desirable for the dev team.

Gear progression was always in the game it's not like they listened to feedback and decided that was the route they were taking, they were always taking that route. Just because people don't like it doesn't mean it's on the table for change. Stat Clamping/Boosting may have been supported by some and hated by others but that was really more a dev decision than down solely to community feedback. It was even stated at the time this was the best solution to help new players get a start in PvP. Just like the change to the tutorial, even though some people think it was dumbing the game down, it was the devs who stated clearly their reason for doing so. It's like saying a tutorial change is up for change just because some people voiced their concerns about it.
    Obviously you are welcome to your opinion but I would not at all describe the history of PvP in the way you have. How much they listened to feedback, how well the implemented that feedback etc all have a part to play. It's very easy to play the blame game especially with hindsight bias. Often it's not the changes themselves but the implementation. Currently PvP isn't just messed up because they listened to the wrong feedback. It's because changes made in PvE effect PvP and with no attention PvP sits there rotting. How long was healing an issue before they finally looked at it? How long was Batman/Robin BB broken before they finally looked at it. And it's quite consistently been like this. WMs & AMs could virtually one shot you for well over a year before the devs finally toned it down. These things have little to do with player disagreement yet they are the main reasons people will point to for no longer PvPing.

Immunities were removed from the game (2013/2014? ish) and people continued to play PvP for 3 or 4 years after (even if they did complain about immunities). Stat boosting was unpopular but people continued to play the game. However when powers get out of whack and things start to become broken thats what stops players engaging with PvP.

That happened to PvP as well with changes to PvE negatively effecting PvP. Your comment also makes it seem like literally everyone who has ever PvPed was only premium. It just doesn't make sense. If you sub so you can maximise your PvP build you are generating money for the game directly.
    • Like x 1