What happen to PvP Over the years?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by GameOnGabeYT, Dec 28, 2019.

1. GameOnGabeYT Well-Known Player

Thanking back over the years especially back in 2011 to now I have taken many breaks on Dc and seen many changes but I have huge gaps in play where the game completely changed. I found myself returning a few months ago ready to try my hand in pvp and boy was that a mistake . I got thrashed in my thrashing I thought to myself what the heck is this? A spam fest of powers didn’t see any weapon combos no block breakers, so far from the struggle matches of chess with another player the FPS advantages and so much more. My question I ask is to not base current pvp as I’m sure many players may love it. My question is when did pvp change like this and what prompted it over the years?
    • Like x 2
  2. Pixel Dot New Player

Sad but true I can say a whole lot here but I won’t instead I’ll say the pvp argument or depare about them trying to fix it ended when to many ppl were chiming in to balance powers some time after WM compos came about . Anyway the Juice apparently isn’t worth the Squeeze. And that’s sad A lot of sp in PVP and most ppl won’t even que because of it . Hahah I originally came From PS3 Right around F2P “Prime” Days. Lol or TaLa in open world good times .....
    Now lvling hero on Xbox and it’s dead asf lol anyway I feel your pain .
  3. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Unfortunately, Daybreak's lack of imagination and resources to make PVP a profitable part of the game is why we see no updates for it. The only time Daybreak ever took a shot at making it profitable was implementing a replay badge system for PVP which was an utter disaster. They also went from making Legends cost $10 to being free for Members who wanted to grind the marks out which to this day I say was a mistake. They took the one money making aspect of PVP and turned it into a Membership perk. They also seem to have the inability to sell reskins for Legends as well. In the end, there are either some serious red tape that Daybreak has to jump through with WB to make Legends profitable or Daybreak just doesn't have the resources to devote someone to pumping out alternate skins and new Legends entirely for Legends PVP. Arena PVP will pretty much never be something that can turn a direct profit with unless they create a ranking system, generate rewards for it, and give rotating seasons where you have to pay to access the maps. However, it seems Legends is right there for the taking and they never jump on it.
  4. TheLastSuperman Well-Known Player

What could have made them more money? PvE or PvP?

Players could play pvp 100% free.
    Players needed new pve content to play, not 100% free.

^ It appears many years ago in a galaxy far far away that they decided to "make more money". PvP was brushed under the rug and balancing and catering to pve became the norm. I'm not sure how else others explain this, but that's what happened and here we are now. It's very sad they didn't realize that some of us stayed on here for pvp after finishing dailies - instead of going to play another game instead (for pvp obviously) so now everyone gets bored and goes to get their pvp fix elsewhere but the time they would have spent here spending $ on respecs and legends characters and such is all wasted on other games because pvp is currently "the best joke, with the worst punchline" if not dead. Queue's 8's - GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!
  5. GoDeacs Well-Known Player

They really need to do something with their 8v8 pvp related feats since they don't care about pvp. Imagine trying to get those done on switch or xbox where population is much smaller than pc/ps. Even if you manage to get 2x groups of 8 the que system will not match you right away due to newbs queing solo and for everything
  6. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

The push for PVP modes ended when producer Larry Liberty left. He was the one trying to get it to escalate into a sort of e-sports competitor. Jens, Ted and company kept a schedule for Friday Night Fights to keep the community going with PVP interactions.

Part of the issue is that the game had to be rebalanced several times to accommodate new combat mechanics - first WM, then AMs, then their removal and waves of rebalaning by the time it was 'done' the PVP scene had been through hell, where it remains today.

There hasn't been an update to legends characters for a while now. Even the new character remodel skins aren't available as legends alternatives. Another issue is the base CR gear has vastly overcome PVP gear, which highlights the problems with having defense and toughness to begin with. PVP gear needs to be eliminated and players should just have the one gear type. Adding to this, duty PVP should be offer both a clamped and non-clamped option - something new players can ease into.

PVP gear vendors would simply be converted to auto-attuning tier gear or styles only.
  7. That1DarkKnight Active Player

First there were the supposed enlightened days that I wasn't around for that I guesstimate to be around 2011-2013. Then there was jump cancel introduced which made people mad or something, which I also wasn't around for as well as a general period of darkness that was 2014, which I was around for.

Around 2015-2016 there existed the one-shot era. Basically due to PvE changes a lot of long duration weapon combos and certain power abilities did insane damage. Sometimes it was enough damage to one-shot or two-shot enemies in open world, duels and eventually Arenas. Throughout all this time there are certain powers that just completely overpowered or outlasted other builds. Tanks and Healers specifically had the advantage here. AM or advanced mechanics from PvE played a huge role in causing this one-shot era. On the plus side legends was still fun during this time, and 5v5 Arena matches were pretty decent as well.

From 2016-2017 the devs implemented a PvP revamp that was, in my opinion, mainly positive. It removed the functionality of AM in arenas and removed crazy one shot mechanics. It didn't remove the advantage of Healers and Tanks being able to outlast pretty much everything in a 1v1 and 2v2 situation. However, it made 5v5s pretty fun, and in general most open-world and arena PvP was a little more stable and balanced. However, they nerfed Hand Blasters to hell and that was unforgivable.

From 2017 to present day we had the Stats Revamp. A PvE update that was promised to not hinder on PvP that ruined pretty much everything. It brought an end to counter immunity, fairness in PvP of any form, and it worst of all it ruined Legends PvP. You don't mess with da legends PvP smh. Essentially, PvP is dead in most forms after this Era and it didn't even improve PvE much.