What did you like the most about DCUO when you started?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Aug 4, 2022.

1. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

A video game where you get to make up your own superheroes and play in the dc universe.

I was this games b*tch from hello.
    • Like x 3
  2. Tolly Committed Player

I was forgetting one important thing too, I used to love it when there were still a lot of players motivated to play and play for the SPs as well as the people who organized raid parties, all that is now gone in DCUO...
    • Like x 2
  3. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I started in 2014 and I really liked the starting missions Level 1-30. Some of the best stuff for me and got me hooked , that feeling is gone with how dlcs are now. The devs have so much to do but if we can get that type of treatment again for some solo quests and missions that be awesome.
    • Like x 2
  4. Solarbound Committed Player

For me, it's kind of funny to think about. DCUO is a game that was on my radar for a bit prior to the game's actual release back in January of 2011. I almost joined this community when it made its debut release in stores back then. Yes, new generation of DCUO players, the initial format of this very game was a store release on disc for both PS3 and PC that costed us roughly 50 bucks, if I remember that correctly.

When I got to the register on that day, I was warned about the monthly subscription fees in order to play the game back then. And, I was asked the question by the guy working the register of deciding whether or not I felt such an investment was worth it. Yet, I have to be honest here, I was a bit turned off by that at first and decided to put the very PS3 copy of the game I held back on the shelf.

A month goes by, and I randomly see a player made DCUO video pop up in my recommended section on YouTube. I wish I could remember who it was, so that I could shout them out right here for the spark they gave me that day. I just remember in that moment through what that guy put together, DCUO at that time was looking like the most amazing game I had ever seen.

So, on February 17, 2011, (Michael Jordan's birthday, GOAT Status) I bit the bullet and decided to go through with the purchase. Despite my initial gripe with the monthly, semi-monthly, and yearly fees, we were all given a nice perk through a passcode that came with the game which allowed us to play the first month free. That first month was all I needed to become hooked.

DCUO is actually my first ever MMO experience. As a console player, we definitely didn't have a lot of such options in the genre back then. That may have been the only one for us. Given how I was into comics growing up, the whole concept of this world where you can create your own superhero or supervillain, engage in these epic battles with a list of our favorite iconics, and to develop bonds or rivalries among others with their own creations to make your own story was just so dope to me, man.

Given how intense and thriving the PVP crowd was then, was the kind of immersion that I needed. I'm a competitor by nature when considering my athletic background. As an original USPS3 player, I started off on the Blood Will Run PVP server, then transitioned onto The Killing Joke as I heard the best of the best were there. Yet, there was just something about the grind in this game to make your character as strong as possible to become the most dominant and unstoppable superhero or supervillain force. And, when you were able to obtain such a feat, you really had that feeling.

I truly miss being on my villain going to the Little Bohemia Police Department, taking on like 50 heroes at a time as a tank, stomping through them all, and the only way they could stop me was to call for back up from the Watchtower, LOL! Oh man, I miss that.... DEVS why did you take that away? Catering to players who didn't earn their stripes was the wrong way to go.

So many memories, man. This game had so much potential to become something far greater than what we're seeing today. There was a point in time during late 2014 where I stepped away for a time leading up to 3.5 yrs. because I was fed up with the direction that I started to see the game to go. Guys like Orbit called it exactly. A game lacking substance that doesn't give the DC brand or ALL of those who have been a part of the player base the love that's deserved upon what it offers. Apparently, the quick buck is more important than the experience here in DCUO.

Yet, here I am 11 yrs. later having been a returned player for the last 4 yrs. still biting the bullet. If you ask me my favorite memory, it will forever be the PVP war that took place in Gotham on the USPS3 server hosted by Radar X and Mepps as Evil Mepps playing as active generals to promote The Last Laugh DLC. No experience in DCUO will ever compare. All I ask of the DEVS at this point is to do whatever it takes to give this game a feeling of its glory days again. This game will never reach its full potential if you don't put the players first.

Sorry about the length. Guess I had a lot to say, haha.
    • Like x 3
  5. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

That first time feeling.Never seen it since back then.
    • Like x 1
  6. llllDeathstroke Active Player

PvP, the only thing that made this game popular in the first place.
    But that’s long gone and dead now, thanks Devs!
    Can’t wait for the next scam capsule WOOHOOOOO!!!
    • Like x 1
  7. Eve YouTuber

Can definitely see how much you love this game and want it to improve.

With you there, 100%
    • Like x 1
  8. Eve YouTuber

I'm 100% with fixing PvP, I think both PvP and PvE making this game enjoyable. Depends what you enjoy more. I think PvE was always abit more, but PvP certainly played a big part. I don't think we have a Dev passionate enough for PvP since Spytle left, and I think the rest just don't find the time or the same passion for that, but I could be wrong. As for Time Capsules, I don't like them personally either (Most of the time I open enough for the Ally feat with the free stabs and the rest I'm buying off broker.) I don't see them going anywhere, though.
  9. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I miss helping people with feat farming. Now it's just a stressful slogg that I "cba" with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  10. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

When I first started playing in 2012 I always wanted a game where I could design my own superheroes or supervillains, I had made up my own comics universe at home when I was younger and wanted a way of designing this through a game. That's why a lot of my characters are certain powersets by design and will always be that. Alienna will always be the dark witch controlling dark magic so Celestial (more the dark side) is her thing.

For the first year or so I was a more casual player and was more interested in styles, bringing the characters I had made up to life through a game where I couldn't do this with any other game at the time at the level DCUO offered.

Then Origin Crisis happened. The DLC that would change my attitude towards the game forever towards wanting more of a challenge. The fulfilment of beating the raids for the first time, or getting that feat. This was the episode that made me sub.

Bases were a slow burner at first, these became more significant with time as more creative base items and lair themes were added, and new ideas of my own came to mind. Though my vivid ideas were too advanced to fit in 500/700 base item slots in a preset lair layout, I did what I could to make the most of ideas and where you could place base items and tried to perfect that.

In short, the styles/customisation and being able to create your own superhero/supervillain in a world alongside known superheroes/supervillains like Superman, Batman, Joker, Darkseid etc.
    • Like x 3
  11. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I really liked the solo missions at first because I felt like I was emersed in the DC Universe with my character. Also loved travelling around in places like Metropolis and Gotham. Then joining a League meeting other players and finding out things like not to wear PvP gear in a Raid or what a Tank should do, etc. Trying out other powers. Then going thru the various episodes like Amazon Fury fighting mythological creatures or Age of Justice going back in time fighting you know stormtroopers. Waiting for every next episode cause it'd bring new characters to interact with like Justice League Dark members John Constantine, Zatanna, Shazam, etc. Really wish I can that feeling of doing that stuff over again.
    • Like x 2
  12. Slave-Zeo New Player

There isn't one thing I can pinpoint about when I started playing DCUO, It's more of a total package of things I loved. A lot of what hooked me on the game doesn't even exist anymore. PvP was definitely the big draw for me once i found out it existed. The 8 player arenas were great fun to play, The ability to earn cool looking gear that was only for PvP'ers. The Moon capture the rock arena! I definitely miss old school PvP. Aside from PvP there was also the questing and the end of arc animated comic book panels. The panels really made it feel like you accomplished something. The quest plots and dialog was way better back at launch. Back then there was more to a raid / duo / solo than a few lines of voice acting and some loosely related in game cut scenes. It was the details above the life support that made DCUO my favorite MMO.
    • Like x 2
  13. Eve YouTuber

Loved this, It sucks that PvP isn't getting any love. I also believe that Friday Night Legends pretty much confirmed how much loved it was, with the big events the Devs hosted for the PvP Community. I wasn't around but I did my fair marathon of FNL :p And talked to people who was there, so I am awfully jealous lol when I played PvP I mostly did Legends and it was before they gave up on it completely (Between 2016-2018, Spytle wasn't around anymore, and I think this is when the Devs lost interest in this mode)

But I am so happy to read these, I wish old school PvP would come back one day for people like you who enjoyed it. Also yes, Running the Huntress Iconic solo or anything from the old days is my favorite. After AFIII content I don't run much solos, I avoid most of them.
  14. Power Surge Level 30

Running around Gotham and Metropolis in a big open world setting seemed so cool to me at the time. Too bad everything's more instanced at higher levels.
    • Like x 2
  15. Irvynnge Loyal Player

I still run 'round Gotham & Metropolis. more often than not, if I have to go to a toon's base, I'll warp to Gotham or Metropolis & fly to the base from there rather than warp straight to base. sometimes, I'll beat up a random iconic while I'm at it. they're still my favourite locations in the game.
    • Like x 1