What are pros and cons of certain powersets?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Msaliti, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Msaliti New Player

Hey everyone I'm thinking of creating a new character or two - I play as premium so I don't have many slots - so I'm trying to decide which powers I should pick.
    I don't really have favorites, but I'm currently interested in Water, Celestial, Gadgets, Earth and Atomic.

So what do you think, how do these perform against other powers, both dps and support-wise?
    What are pros and cons of each of those five?

I'd like to hear your opinions, please and thank you :)
  2. AberrantAngel Committed Player

As premium I believe you have 6 spots. So if you only had one you can make them all. But I would first decide what support role you want to play the most. That will help narrow your list. For example if you wanted to troll, then make the gadget toon, only troll power on your list. If it's a heal or tank then make both types level them up a bit and then keep the one that fits your play style more.
    Powers are about playstyle and support role. Find what fits your likes.
    • Like x 2
  3. De Hei Active Player

For the start on each power i would say, you should play them as DPS and switch them later for faster progress. Its an as much stressless kind of playing during the lvl phase as with support...

But then you should really think about playing any kind of support what you like. Nothing makes sense in this game, if you dont have fun with it ;)
    • Like x 1
  4. Msaliti New Player

Thanks for responses :)

I already have 5 toons... i'm thinking about deleting one, though, so it leaves me with 1-2 slots left, but not entirely sure about it yet.

I mostly run as dps, I have electric and rage at end-game (I buy episodes), also running munitions and prec-quantum... in terms of support I only played healer. Wanted to get into tanking as well but couldn't get second armory for that toon :( like I said, I don't have any favorite role or power... I don't mind what kind of support it has for as long as it's good :D I'm trying to build my roster of whatever's best :D I tried to level up water toon once, but couldn't figure out might dps side... but everyone says it's good heal so maybe I should give it another shot as precision or something if it's any good. With Ice I don't like visuals and buggy abilities, hated Light's complicated combo system.. if celestial is any similar to that then I probably won't pick it... I'm seeing a lot of earth dps doing great damage, if earth tanking is same good, I might consider it too. I almost don't see any atomics around, is there something wrong with it?

I don't really have much free time to play so I'm doing research before trying anything :D
  5. recoil2 Dedicated Player

1. nature: pros and cons, nice AOE but you will be slow as a snail DPS wise without the supercharges
    2. electricity; pros and cons, nice AOE as well but with poor single target
    3. rage: pros and cons, excellent at damage absorption and damage dealing but even so it's a glass cannon of sorts
    4. gadgets, mental, ice, quantum etc: pros and cons, most of them good dps/support but not without a supplemental healer due to no non-SC heals.
    5. munitions: pros and cons, nice ranged AOE and self heals, almost entirely lacks single target
    6. sorcery/pet powers: pros and cons, good continuous damage via pets and DOTS and some nice self heals but most of them have power issues as well.
    7. atomic: pros and cons, nice damage FAR too many SCs
    water: pros and cons, good balanced powerset support/DPS wise leaning more towards healer and only slightly deficient in DPS.

tried to tackle "most" of the powersets, and most of them can have their shortcomings and deficiencies worked around with the right iconic/artifact setup.
    • Like x 2
  6. Msaliti New Player

Thank you very much, that's even more than I asked for :D of course right setup can "fix" some things, but I'm trying to look at powerset in its "raw" state, how good it is without crutches.
    • Like x 1
  7. L T Devoted Player

Pros:
    Water - plays differently than most powers because of riptide and high tide. Really fun as a healer. Can play might or precision DPS pretty well.

Celestial - every power has a combo, making it extremely flexible. Strong might damage.

Gadgets - way the best troll power. Great guide and community support. Good might and great precision DPS.

Earth - can use pets. Very strong melee might dps. Great tank with brick.

Atomic - strong mid range might dps with combos. Ok tank.

Cons:
    Water - no melee range might load out. Leans heavily on Supercharge abilities. Not a free power.

Celestial - combos are different than other powers and take time to learn. Need combos in both roles. Not a free power.

Gadgets - none really. FX aren't as flashy or pretty as some of the other powers.

Earth - weak might based range. Not free. Weak tank without pet.

Atomic - have to use combos mid range. Weak full range might. Weak single target might. Tank feels flimsy when crowd controlled. Not a free power.
    • Like x 2
  8. Msaliti New Player

That's great response, thank you very much ^_^
  9. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

If you don't like combos, you probably want to avoid Celestial unless you want to precision DPS with it. 2 of the best damage moves are big combos (power button + tap + tap + hold) and you should clip everything to maximize speed of damage.

You only need 1 combo to heal, so that isn't too bad.
  10. De Hei Active Player

There was a time 5 years ago i played precise DPS with celestial and also was able to heal with same build :D
    But it isnt possible anymore and celestial is much weaker now...

I think earth is a good way to play a good allrounder also in tank stance. All tank classes are able to play them as DPS in tank stance and this is very helpful in the leveling phase!

At the end you should choose the power, what you like in style and what brings most fun to you. It dont need to be the best choose for everyone else, just for you! You want to love it and have much fun with it over months or years. That was the way i was choosing a power. Because of my experience of the past, i wanted to play precise again, because it was a way better for PvP. So i took a look in a power whats able to play it in precise and also tanky... Now i know, something changed and nearly all powers are playable with precise, there are just minimal differences ;)
  11. Millefune PSN Well-Known Player

Water is the best performing healer Powerset.

Solace > Riptide > Solace: covers a huge area, and has way too much healing over time.
    Tempest Guard, and Bubble: The game's current and recent content is big on shields. Having a non-supercharge, faster than 30-second cooldown 8-person shield... as well as the stronger 4-person shield.
    Flood of Power: Because Riptide resetting the most recently used power's cooldown wasn't enough... Shields > Solace > Riptide > Solace > Flood of Power > Solace > Riptide > Solace > Shields. No one is dying to damage.

I stopped playing Water as a main, because it was so easy to heal, it got boring.

I disagree on the self-heals part. The only self-heal Munitions has requires Supercharge and has a 30-second cooldown, similar to the self-heal SC all the other Controller Powersets have. The only Controller Powerset that has a regular non-SC self-heal is Hard Light.
  12. recoil2 Dedicated Player

which somewhat sucks honestly, if i'm going to use a powerset i prefer being able to be almost entirely self reliant rather than having to wait for the SC to charge just to heal myself. then again they only gave one or two healers 8 man group shields, which is also mind boggling.
  13. The Anxient Loyal Player

I mainly play atomic so I will stick to it instead of talking out of the side of my mouth like some.
    Pros
    AOE damage can hang with some of the top powers
    Natural Battle Tank
    Has some decent utility powers

Cons
    Single target dps is among the worst in the game.
    Only AOE dot is a 100 cost SC
    Less forgiving than other tanks when dealing with heavy cc