"Well, she's not an Amazon... :( "

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by JustSome_Chick, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JustSome_Chick New Player

I guess the dozen or so page thread about WW and Circe must have stuck with me. 99% of the talk was either insult or whinging, but there were at least 5 posts (including maybe one of mine lol) that were serious discussion regarding Wonder Woman and her role in DC comics regarding popularity, intended representation, hijacking by feminist propoganda, being a meager Superman female char etc etc on and on.

I'm not gonna repeat what I or anyone else said, the thread is there for you to dig through to find the gems.

However.. I was just watching the movie "Lovelace" while folding laundry and wrapping Christmas presents..

some elements remind me of the late 80's watching the movie "The Burning Bed" with "Jo" from "Facts of Life"...

anyway.. needless to say.. star and "blue movie" revolutionary heroine that LInda was, she was a used and abused woman. The thought kept popping up.. she just needs to crack his neck. Burn his effing bed.

Suddenly at one point I had that thought, with all the trailing legal, societal, etc implications to follow when I realized suddenly..

in pretty much these words..

"Well. She's not an Amazon. She's tiny and weak and beyond plotting.. sudden rage probably leads to injury..."

I realized a few things. 1 - that I *am* an amazon, and that may be the only thing that saved my life in my abusive marriage. That no matter what a violent, manipulative, physically harmful a**hat he was, he knew, sure as sh**, there was always the potential just under the surface, for me to snap and break his effing neck like a twig. (recalling a certain incident which was particularly ugly, during the course of which he broke my bedside stool that i used as a nightstand- and me grabbing up a leg of that stool and chucking it at him like a spear. It missed his head by inches and stuck out of the wall behind him, bobbing, and he claimed I tried to kill him - to which I replied - "If I wanted that to hit your head, it would be sticking out of your skull right now mothereffer". )

and 2, which is really the meat of this post..

That if I hadn't grown up in the 80's with Wonder Woman as a positive role model both for natural feminine strength, and the concept of "Amazon" for tall, strong, intelligent women- I could have landed in a very different spot than I am now, a single mother taking care of an amazing autistic kid who finally has a decent life- and so do I. In fact.. I could be dead.

So I don't care what anyone thinks or feels about Wonder Woman as a character - good bad or ugly - I'm glad as he** she was created and put out there.

Without consciously thinking about it, the concept of her and her race, gave me just enough confidence to shake off an abusive relationship, be scary enough to prevent real violence to me that this person had actually caused to others - and the ability to grab the reigns and make a suitable life for my son- and myself.

Thank you Wonder Woman. I don't care about anyone's feminist agenda for the character, or her representation or under-representation, or male acceptance in the lexicon - I know if her existence had anything to do, no matter how subconsciously, on my survival (and as a result, on my sons THRIVING and becoming a great man someday) then I am not the only one.
    • Like x 9
  2. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

Wow, very powerful story. Glad WW made such a positive impact on you, if there's one thing I love about the DC Universe, it's that there's always at least one character we each feel we can relate to, and that's better at the end of the day than having absolutely no one at all. Thanks for sharing!
    • Like x 3
  3. TripleC123 New Player

Diana Prince? Is that you? But you are a huge inspiration to anyone and everyone.
  4. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Wow, amazing, inspiring story!

But, if I could dial it back a bit and maybe keep this to discussing WW and her place/position in the world of comics, I'd basically start with this - 'What is her 'why'?' - this, not 'Who is she/he?', IMO, is what makes a character great. Batman is the blueprint for the 'the why'. The murder of his parents, the vow to protect Gotham - those are critical components as to 'why' he is who he is. Superman has always played second fiddle to Batman precisely because of 'the why'. We know who Superman is, but 'why' he is has always been his big, huge, gaping weak spot. A few writers have really started to sort this out though (Grant Morrison mostly IMO), and the Superman movie did a great job of giving him a worthwhile and sensible origin, but he's still not at Batman's level. Which brings me to Wonder Woman - an Amazonian, with no definitive origin story, who has always just sort of been 'there'. I'll admit, my familiarity with DC Comics as it pertains to Wonder Woman is a bit of a blindspot - I couldn't tell you one single definitive WW storyline, nor could I do justice to any part of her past. The most I know about her is from a few of the cartoon movies and that's it. Obviously, she has a ton of potential - I'd love to see her fleshed out and really given a role in DCUO that is meaningful. I think the devs missed the mark in that regard with the Battle for Earth DLC, but hoping they get back around to solidly establishing her with the Amazonian Fury DLC planned for next year.

As an aside, if anyone has 'the' WW story I should read, I'm all ears....
    • Like x 2
  5. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Just my two cents, I primarily view comics as a source of entertainment....I have little to no interest in WW is purely eye-candy or WW is representative of. Just as I have no interest in discussions around Superman is.

However, I do believe that heroes are there to show us who we could be if we only tried. A source of inspiration and aspiration if you will.

The fact that WW helped you through some tough times is all that matters in the end...none of the other discussions really matter.

Anyhoo...I don't know much about WW - and to be honest, I'm just happy that she is. Reasons for being are well and good, but they're not always necessary. I don't need to know Darkseid's background to know that he's a bad guy, and poses a threat to all and sundry.

Just the musings of a shallow, shallow individual who rarely looks beyond the surface of anything :)
    • Like x 1
  6. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

Men fear Women with Power. It's a known FACT. Bravo to you sweetie. I've always looked at Diana as inspiration, she is Wonder Woman, in reality and in the comics, it's not a name given to anyone, it's a name in which it's earned. You are a Wonder Woman :D
    • Like x 2
  7. Fools Fire Loyal Player

"The Life and Loves of a She-Devil" is on Youtube. I think OP would find it interesting. This British mini-series deals with a woman who has to come to grips with a "man's" world. It's very poignant and makes you realize how strong we look on the outside has nothing to do with how strong we are on the inside.

(BTW...I've been wanting the DVD of this for years. The U.S. Region 1 version was finally released... $200. :eek: )
    • Like x 1
  8. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

And this is why, for birthday's, Christmas, anything really, I give my 5 year old niece Wonder Woman stuff rather than Barbies or the rest. I want her to grow up thinking the same thing, "I'm not a delicate princess, I'm an Amazon! And if you don't treat me like a princess, I'll show you the Amazon." I do think, for especially younger girls, that Wonder Woman is a great strong role model. I just need to keep reminding her that just because Wonder Woman can solve her problems with punches ... maybe she should wait on the power of the gods befor getting into fights :D
    • Like x 3
  9. SuperiorMouse New Player

you. go. :)

you know, i think Lynda and Diana would say that you're the real hero if they could.
  10. Mistress of Magic Well-Known Player

Touching story...hope you're in a much better place now :)

Bit off-topic: I've read threads where people argue up and down sideways and topsy-turvy over WW's outfit. No matter your opinion of her costume...if you look beyond her appearance...and examine/analyze her beliefs, convictions, and her actions you'll find that she is a true super-heroine and a wonder woman :D
    • Like x 1