Weapon Combo Power Regeneration

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Superskull85, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Superskull85 Devoted Player

The information in this thread is current to the date March 2nd, 2013.

Overview

Restoring Power in DCUO is considered to be Power Healing so any mention of "heal" is actually meant to be "regen." The buff that gives you combo regen is called "Recovery" and you get 9 ticks of Power and 9 ticks of Supercharge per tier with any of these being criticals.

In general your will get to the next tier about 2 hits above the hit counter titles and a lower tier cannot overwrite a higher tier. However a higher tier should always overwrite a lower tier.

Base Regen

All values come directly from the effects menu under the buff "Recovery." Criticals are found by applying the formulas below.

Vitalization: 0
    Critical Healing: 25% Amount / 7% Chance

Tier 1 Heal

Hit counter range: 1-11
    Hit counter title: None
    Supercharge: 2
    Power: 10 (critical: 12)

Tier 2 Heal

Hit counter range: 12-26
    Hit counter title: Good! (at 10 hits)
    Supercharge: 3
    Power: 12 (critical: 16)

Tier 3 Heal

Hit counter range: 27-50
    Hit counter title: Incredible! (at 25 hits)
    Supercharge: 3
    Power: 15 (critical: 20)

Tier 4 Heal

Hit counter range: 51+
    Hit counter title: Superhuman! (at 50 hits)
    Supercharge: 4
    Power: 20 (critical: 26)

After the last tick of Power or Supercharge in this cycle you get 20 Power and 4 Supercharge per hit. If you stop your combo the ticks end instead of continuing for the 9 ticks of Power and 8 ticks of Superchage like usual.

Weapons that share these tiers include: Shield, Martial Arts, One Handed, Dual Wield, Rifle, Dual Pistols, Staff and Bow.

Weapon Differences

There are 3 exceptions to the regen patterns above: Hand Blasts, Two-Handed and Brawling.

Hand Blasts

Tier 2 title: 9 hits
    Tier 3 title: 20 hits
    Tier 4 title: 39 hits

Tier 1 range: 1-9
    Tier 2 range: 10-20
    Tier 3 range: 21-40
    Tier 4 range: 41+

Two-Handed

Tier 2 title: 6 hits
    Tier 3 title: 13 hits
    Tier 4 title: 26 hits

Tier 1 range: 1-6
    Tier 2 range: 7-13
    Tier 3 range: 14-25
    Tier 4 range: 26+

Brawling

Tier 2 title: 5 hits
    Tier 3 title: 11 hits
    Tier 4 title: 21 hits

Tier 1 range: 1-5
    Tier 2 range: 6-11
    Tier 3 range: 12-21
    Tier 4 range: 22+

Aside from the hit counter range for each tier, each weapon regens the same amount of Power at those tiers. So for example Brawling will restore 9 ticks of 12 Power at 6 hits just like Martial Arts will at 12. All weapons restore a minimum of 90 Power on the first hit.

* Thanks to MrMigraine for making me aware of the weapon differences.

Calculating Regen

Regen is calculated based on the equations:

RP = floor ( B*(1+VIT/1000) )
    CP = floor ( B*(1+VIT/1000)*1.25 )

Where RP is Regular Power, CP is Critical Power, B is Base Value and VIT is Vitalization. The current Critical Power Heal Amount is limited to 25% (the base) so any criticals should be 25% more then your regular.

If you want to find the Vitalization needed to give you a certain tick value at any give tier use the equation:

VIT = ceil ( 1000 * (P / B - 1) )

Where P represents the tick value and B the base value for that tier.

An alternate equation treating the scale value as a precentage:

P = floor ( B * (1 + VIT * 0.1 / 100) )

It is the same equation but using this one would help relate it to Restoration and might better.

You should see noticeable jumps every 5% (50) and 10% (100) increases of Vitalization. You can also see small increases between 7-10% (70-100) of Vitalization.

Here is a breakdown by Anernia showing the exact Vitalization points that increase the value per tick at each tier:

[IMG]

Conclusion

My advice base on initial tests is that if you have to end your combo to cast a trait do so after you hit the next tier if you can. For example if you reach 27 hits stop there and then cast your trait as you will not receive additional Power until Tier 4. Even if you stop at 27 hits you will receive 9 ticks of 15 Power at Tier 3. The exception comes at the end of the Tier 4 cycle where you get Power per hit.

Hope this helps players out! :)

P.S. If you are going to test tier ranges you NEED to make sure you avoid the Vitalization Registration Bug. EVERY time you change your Vitalization (up or down, switch stance or buff) you have to re-equip your weapon.
    • Like x 4
  2. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Recent changes:
    1. Clarified the difference between regen tiers and hit counter titles.
    2. Added a list of weapons that fall under the general regen tier section.
    3. Added a note about lower tiers not overwriting higher tiers
    4. Added a testing note about the Vitalization Registration Bug.
    List of updates to do:

Let me know if there is anyhing else I should look into adding.
  3. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

you might want to include with this thread a link to the discussion about how Vit Scaling with weapon regen is bugged (for trollers).

not sure if anyone has posted on the new forums yet, but it needs to be if it hasnt been already.

using the 'fix' for that bug has changed everything for me as far as regening power from weapon attacks.
  4. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Thanks for the reminder. I made a bug report about that on the old PS3 forums and I'll copy that over as well.
  5. TheDark Devoted Player

Not sure how to PM on this. I wanted to know if the weapons you listed are up to date on weapon teir entrance? I was told they changed the hit combo number shifts on the tiers. Is that right?
  6. Superskull85 Devoted Player

I can retest but I don't think they did. I know I still need to add Shield though.
  7. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

8. Superskull85 Devoted Player

9. SlayingDaimon New Player

Hand blast is 9 20 39
    Brawling is 5 10 21
    Two handed is 6 13 26
    Other is 10 25 50

Last time I tested after GU22
  10. TheDark Devoted Player

Mind if I steal this?
  11. SlayingDaimon New Player

Nope, just verify and let me know if I made a mistake on them.
  12. Anierna Well-Known Player

Hi Superskull. I just read through your previous post on this topic, and I love that you've done this work. When I saw it, I thought "Thank GOD! Now I won't have to do it myself by trial-and-error."

However, the data table you provided for weapon combos, recopied below, seems to be imprecise, and thus allows for exceptions.

[IMG]

I've commented on the inconsistencies in the following thread:

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/power-regen-via-wep-attacks-data.2458/

Specifically, the values shown in the following pic seem to be at odds with your table. I think the differences occurred because Tiers 2, 3, and 4 for power regen do not increase in increments of 50 Vit like Tier 1 regen does.

[IMG]

I'm kinda hoping you'll help me narrow down the benchmarks for increased power regen for Tiers 2, 3, and 4 via your wep. It's a lot of testing for 1 person to do. Thanks for you help!
  13. Superskull85 Devoted Player

When I was testing it was actually not trial and error (except when the next tier is triggered). All Power is derived from the equation: P = floor ( B * (1 + VIT / 1000) ) where B is the base for that tier (10, 12, 15, 20). At the time this matched exactly with what I saw in game avoiding the VIT Registration bug (making sure to re-equip your weapon everytime you change your Vitalization).

My chart at the time was not meant to show the exact point where the tick values increase (as that changes with each tier thus I would need 4 separate charts) but to show how the ticks increase using a uniform Vitalization increase. So yes the exact points per tick value increase are roughly as you describe but that was not my goal.

If you want to find the exact point where the tick values increase per tier use the formula VIT = ceil ( 1000 * (P / B - 1) ) and use P as the tick value. So for example tier 2 Vitalization levels for 13 - 20 tick values should be: 84, 167, 250, 334, 417, 500, 584 and 667 (or in general about every 84 Vitalization for tier 2). This seems to match your numbers.

In general tier 1 ticks should increase every 100 Vitalization, tier 2 every 84, tier 3 every 67 and tier 4 every 50 which was my reasoning for showing 50 Vitalization increments.

If you believe this is not how the tick values are working now than let me know and I'll add that in when I go to retest myself.
    • Like x 1
  14. Anierna Well-Known Player

That's exactly what I was looking for, Superskull. That equation saved me a LOT of trial-and-error. From it, I derived the following chart:

[IMG]

If you were wondering why I wanted to create this table, the reason is that it helps prove my point that modding secondary-troller gear with pure-vit for yellow sockets is better than using vit&power. I'm arguing about that atm in another thread. In case you're interested, my argument for pure-vit in yellow sockets for secondary trollers is as follows:

If the 36 extra vit from modding pure-vit gets you to the next tier in power regen via wep combos, you'll give yourself an extra 2 power per second. In 168 seconds of combat, you'll have regen'ed 336 power - the same amount of extra power that modding vit&power for yellow sockets would have given you. All the extra power you regen after the 168 second point is a bonus you don't get if you mod vit&power. Ergo, modding pure vit for secondary-trollers is better. And that's not even factoring in the fact that 36 extra Vit will ALSO increase the total power-out of your Defib/Psychic Empowerment by 12 (or 8, depending on exactly which range your vit falls into) each time you use it.
  15. Sumeric New Player

I have a question for Anierna:
    In your chart, you stop at roughly 1100 at each tier. Is that a ceiling where once you reach that amount of vit the regen per tick will no longer increase?
  16. Anierna Well-Known Player

No, I stopped there because, atm, that the highest vit you can get to. I've never heard of a troller with more than 1450 untrinked vit - have you? And even then, it's only possible to get that high with a soder.
  17. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Well you might also want to factor in the Power out : Power pool ratio. For example I believe you would get close to 250 Power with the split mods which would be enough for about 1 more Instant restore. At 1000 Vitalisation that would be 200 extra Power out per person alone in a Raid group if the Controller were to use all of their Power.
  18. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Also the bases per tier seem to be modelled by B = floor ( 10 + 2.5 x (T - 1) ) where B is base and T is the tier. This means tiers 5 to 8 should be 22, 25 and 30 if they were to ever be implemented.

I am posting this as this also models other aspects of the game that I hope to explain sometime soon.
  19. Zizzi New Player

Question: I am at T2 regeneration, and then hit T3 and stop. Will the T2 regeneration tick and then T3 starts? Or will T3 override the T2 regeneration immediately?

Similarly, if I have a T3 regeneration on going, and then start a new combo, will the regeneration of the new combo overwrite the T3 regeneration or no?
  20. Superskull85 Devoted Player

If you get to tier 3 fast enough than yes the remaining tier 2 ticks should upgrade (you should get 9 per tier). As for starting a new combo let me put that in my testing queue before I give you an answer either way.