We need a new naming system.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Miss Martian, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

This must be a very common problem that anyone can be involved with, now we see most people, especially new players using weird names with no meaning, long names, stuck words due to the problem of only 1 space in name, numbers in names, lot of "X"s "L , I"s in names, because of names that exist in comics plenty of names are unavailable , this is crazy even though most of the good games are associated to someone else in real comics not just DC, even Marvel or other stories , I mean usually any heroic or villainous name you type in google for dc, it shows one person :confused:
    It is not supposed to be easy to be done, but I deeply demand to put this in the court of development team, Why can't we just have same name as one character in DC who is not even designed in the game's content, or why can't some players have a same name, basically there are a lot of proper names, what is the odd of that if for example 10 players have the name "Hellish Sorcerer" or "Icebird" or "Golden Boy" and something like that in a whole server.
    We already see a lot of characters in real Comics with the same case, we have thousands of Supermen not only in different timelines, therefore in different earths and worlds, or how about the versions of Batman, 10? 100 ? 1K ? or even Lanterns, we have a lot of them just named " X Color + Lantern " .
    I agree that the most iconic characters who already exist in the game or comics should stay unique but what about the others who don't exist in the game and probably will never, or the names which have been taken once long ago and we even don't know if that person will be online and active yet . . .
    So instead we can use ID system like games such Clash of Clans that people are allowed to have same names but they have an ID which should pop up in their page when you inspect them, and to make you identify your friend more easily, if you add that person to your friends list, the name on their head looks green even though not everyone will choose one name in a server, and you can probably just find a few numbers of one name.

Please fix me if I'm wrong, but aren't you or your friends or players who come across you suffering from the issue ?
    • Like x 1
  2. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

hmm. i have 30 characters all spelled properly, all unique. never had the issue of finding names. just have to be creative. look for obscure names that make ppl stop & ask. 1 such character i own is a lovecraftian, his name is Gnathic, which means Jaws. i enjoy ppl asking the meaning, its not something someone else already has done before, & it makes the character unique, theres always a name if you look hard enough -Tech
    • Like x 4
  3. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Thank to God, I don't have any problem with my own characters at least with my current-existing ones personally. I'm talking about solving the whole thing, even in real world we don't have such the problem, and also in many other video games which use the ID route.
    You are not supposed to be unique to enjoy the thing, nothing is perfect, In my upon, you mean : to be loved by community you have to look unique with a unique name, but the thing I believe is that you have to be yourself to be loved by yourself not community. Who can dare to command that guy who for example likes to have the name "Heavens Wing", when he just likes the name itself not bc of any specific reason to be unique.
    I hope you realize what I mean the correct way.
    • Like x 1
  4. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Or just make one character with a good name and a backstory that allows for variants and do alts based on those variations.
    • Like x 3
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If 7 people all have the same name and one of them is cheating, how is a GM supposed to know which person I'm reporting?
    • Like x 5
  6. Mazahs Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

The technically correct answer would be "inspect them, obtained their secondary user ID then attempt to remember a 12 digit alphanumeric code while you're attempting to type a complaint during the middle of a raid".

But since that's annoying to do and difficult to manage to the point of borderline impossibility, I think your answer is the more practical of the two...
  8. Darth Piper Loyal Player

I would sooner argue for fonts that are clearer... meaning it's easier to tell the difference between a lowercase L and an uppercase I at a glance rather than squinting, closely looking, and making mistakes.
    • Like x 1
  9. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Yes there are plenty of original names out there to use, but at the same time I understand where the op is coming from. I'm not talking about taking names away from players who may or may not be active I'm mean more flexile in names that is close or similar to canon characters. For example, one character I created, I was trying to use the spelling Baines for a last name but couldn't because it similar to Bane. There should be more flexibility to that.
  10. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Same way other MMOs do it.........which I have no idea how. lol. But it is possible.
    • Like x 1
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I don't have that much faith in our customer service.
    • Like x 3
  12. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

Just give me 2 (or more) spaces as an option please
    • Like x 1
  13. Brother Allen Loyal Player

[IMG]
  14. myandria Item Storage

Hmm.. good point. Personally, I have never seen two player characters have the exact same name.

I'm not sure about that: it would be a whole other level of a nightmare. What gaming company would want to pay someone to spend their entire time looking up characters with the same name if one of them has been reported for a community violation, for example? Imagine having to sift through tens of multiple accounts with a character named "Superman" to try to find "the one" that is at fault? What if the offender is in a League with 15 "Superman" characters listed in it and the player who reported did not/could not inspect the offender to see what platform the offender is on? Yeah... not likely to work out well. Customer Service would be spending more time sifting through same names to find offenders instead of quickly resolving other issues.

I cannot see Customer Service putting itself through that much aggravation and headache.
  15. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

But what if they sent tells and they are nowhere near you for inspection?

I have some people send me tells to buy them stuff or if they can have stuff in wt, but when I inspect them, I can’t cuz they had run away lol
    • Like x 1
  16. Brother Allen Loyal Player

They would obviously have to alter the way reporting worked if they ever wanted to implement such a name change (which we all here can probably agree isn't happening...ever).
    • Like x 1
  17. craybest Well-Known Player

if other games can do this, DCUO can do this too. it's not hard. i think blocking known character names AND similar names is bs honestly. If i want to be a pink batman named Beetman or whatever, i should be able to.
    • Like x 1
  18. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Which is harder, adding an option named "Report" after clicking on the OP's name which opens a small window that you mention your reason or going to the Daybreak page to start a ticket to report the person that we may forget their name before reporting?

Also this is a sure thing that people tend to act, wear and look like the top main characters of comics too much, so there probably should be a small list of these characters that players be unable to use, a list way smaller than what they can't use now.

Many games use the same way that reports in the own game like Clash of Clans. In addition normal applications such Instagram use the same and you are not supposed to go to the website to do it.

I have a feeling that many people await to have the chance to own their dream name, which will make also sort of profit.
    • Like x 1
  19. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

... bastards. I'd say fart on them, really, but if they were close enough to do that you could inspect them....
  20. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

I always do inspect them if I can, sometimes they have a few tc styles or materials on (like mats from cursed Gotham tc) or tc accessories like the crown of Solomon, and I’ll just point out if they can get that, they probably can buy whatever they are asking me for
    • Like x 1