WB/DC Cinematic Universe News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Apr 14, 2016.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Point of reference: Kamala Khan, aka Ms. Marvel, first premiered in 2013 and got her own ongoing book the next year. Was her introduction into the MCU this year forced?

If the character resonates with fans and is popular, chances are good that they'll use them, regardless of how new or old they are. Beyond that, I think it comes down to how well they might fit a story being told.
    • Like x 1
  2. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Wildly off topic here. I turned on the Ms. Marvel series mainly to boost it's viewer numbers because certain crowds were calling it PC fodder. I'm in my fifties, so I didn't think I would connect with a TV series revolving around a teenage girl. I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself really enjoying the show.
  3. Robinton Well-Known Player

My understanding was that WB was going to focus on animated DC movies. Is that wrong?
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

They're still doing animated films. However, recently James Gunn and another individual (the name escapes me at the moment) have been put in charge of building/rebuilding DC's live action film efforts. I'm not 100% sure if the animated films will fall under their supervision or not, but getting things back on track with live action films is a priority for them.
    • Like x 1
  5. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

All 4 are going to fall under James Gunns and Peter Safrans DC Studios. Movies, Animated Movies, TV Shows and Games. The plan is to have roughly 90% of what's released be part of one big narrative, whilst the other 10% are allowed to be Standalone Projects, explained as happening on Different Multiverse Earth's. Like Joker and (So Far) Reeves' Batman.
  6. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

That's where the money is.
    • Like x 2
  7. Robinton Well-Known Player

Are you sure about the games part of that equation? In the past, typically studios want some control over games, but they will not fall under the direction of a certain timeline.

Disney would be an amazing example of this! If you look at the movies and TV shows coming out of Disney, they are still operating under the same timeline. But when you look at new Marvel games being released at the same time, they are not under the MCEU timeline.

And it makes sense, in a way. Games can sometimes have a much longer dev time then movies or TV shows.

Anyways, that is my 2 cents.
  8. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

Positive yeah. I'm pretty sure the description of what DC Studios will oversee came from Gunn himself.

We'll know more soon some time regardless. Gunn said himself that early in 2023 himself and Safran will be releasing details of the 10yr plan. Whether that's the full 10yrs or just some details we don't know yet, neither do we have a date nor a venue. Likely some early ComicCon-esque event.
  9. Robinton Well-Known Player

10. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I read that too, from what I gather, they want everything seamless. You play a Batman game, that Batman will look like the Batman you saw in the movie last week. You pick up a Batman comic, there's going to be a lot more cohesion between the movie Batman and the movie Batman. It's a tall order, there are a lot of creatives involved that might not be happy about being controlled like that.
  11. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

Mostly, except for the Comics. Comics don't fall under DC Studios at all. They'll be a completely separate division allowed to continue to tell whatever stories they wish. It's why Lazarus Planet and Dawn of DCU are still happening in Comics.

Everything else, Movies, Animated Movies, TV Shows and Games fall under the Studio. They're allowing for about 10% of them to be separate and they're own projects though, so that will likely be more so on the Games and Animated Movies side. 1 or 2 tie ins, but mostly allowed to do their own thing. Rushing out a "Movie X Game" wouldn't benefit anyone.
    • Like x 1
  12. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I hope you're right about the comics, I grimaced when I heard that. My understanding of the video game/movie connection is the characters in game would look like the actors. To avoid the embarrassing look alikes in the Avengers game.
  13. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

Definitely about the comics yeah. Sure DC plans it's comics out 5-7 years ahead of time, like how Scott Snyders run between Batman and Justice League all lead to the ending of Death Metal. The comics now have the Justice League pretty much disbanded and DC is going to be focusing Heavily on the Legacy Characters going forward.

With the game side I wouldn't imagine there's a lot for them to change anyway. As far as I recall the only DC games coming out anytime soon are Suicide Squad which is all but done now, and the teased Wonder Woman game. And considering there's been zero updates on that, it's 50/50 whether it'll actually release. Beyond that, there isn't really anything coming so far. And any AAA Game would take at least 4-5yrs to make, even with the PS5s easier to use Hardware/Software. During the whole 10yr plan, at absolute most (not counting terrible mobile games) we could see 2-3 games under DC Studios.
  14. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

The important thing I'm optimistic about, is that there seems to be a coherent plan developing. I know right now it seems chaotic, but Gunn I guess didn't want to just rip off the band aid.
  15. Atrocuis_ Well-Known Player

I'm Glad They Got James Gunn
    But Saddend We Won't Get Henry Cavill Back
    BatFleck Or Gal Gaddot In Those Respected Characters Again

I Was Shocked Almost As Much When They Badly Criticized
    The Black Adam Movie With The Rock

I Love That Movie I've Must Of Watched It Like 5 Times On HBO Max
  16. DCUO Post Loyal Player

17. DCUO Post Loyal Player

18. DCUO Post Loyal Player

19. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

I̶̡̹̟͙̯̱͍͚̖̳̩̱̙͊ ̵̡̡̧̨̮̣̙̥̖̻͕̖̖͎̯̝͛̾͑͊̈́̈͜A̵̯̙̭̣̟̖̬̟͖̣͈̫̬̺͙̐͆̃̃̚͜ͅm̷̢̫͓͖͕̱͎̭͚͉̙̅̒͆̓̄̈́͋͒͂̅̍͌̕ ̵̡̣̝͙̰̥̏͊͜Z̸̡̟̜̗̥͛̃͂̂̉̏͌̌̽͊̍͂́͊̈̚͝a̶̝̿͗̊͛̃͆̾̊l̵̬͍̈̽́͐̇͂̈͝g̶̣̖̝͔̀̈́̒̈̾̉͒̑ơ̶̡͕͓͈̬͎͉̬͔̾͆̍́̽̑̇̂͠
  20. DCUO Post Loyal Player

DC Studios' new slate will reportedly be announced at 12pm ET