WB/DC Cinematic Universe News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Apr 14, 2016.

1. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I'd phrase it a bit differently.

DC has always wanted to use alternate forms of media to expand its characters/properties, going all the way back to the Adam West Batman. They pushed the envelope on what was acceptable behavior for Christopher Reeve's Superman (turning back time, sleeping with Lois),and the Burton and Nolan Bat-films pushed at different corners of the same box. Jimmy Olsen was created for radio, Harley was created for cartoons. DC tries to use their other-media projects to add depth and width and breadth to their characters, and they like to try new approaches with every iteration. (How else can you explain the Jared Leto Joker? ;) ).

Marvel, on the other hand, was very conscious about bringing the comic book experience to the big screen. Starting with Sam Raimi's Spider-man, the colors, the action, the dialogue, the melodrama all were meant to evoke the same feelings in the audience as reading four-color adventures. Marvel Studios just took that up a notch. They stay loyal to the central core of the characters and they find new and creative ways to make outdated concepts sing in the new age.

Just my perspective, of course. :)
    • Like x 1
  2. Controller Devoted Player

Good points - makes sense.

With that being said DC could certainly take a page (or two or three) from Marvel.

Who cares if some DC fans say - "They are trying to copy Marvel's way of doing things."

So what?

DC characters are SO rich in lore...so unique....so varied....that "IF" DC took a chance (as far as CINEMA) and borrowed many or some of the Marvel Cinematic themes then they'd get some Home Runs.....

They've already (IMHO) did this - with Wonder Woman - her SOLO movie. AWESOME.

Man of Steel was AWESOME, IMO.

Then they turn around and NERF WW in Justice League...the same Wonder Woman who held her own verses DOOMSDAY for much of the battle NOW cannot hold a candle to Superman in Justice League?

With Aquaman (no slouch himself) and Cyborg (again, no slouch) - helping her out when Superman was first revived?

Quite odd.....

I'd hope that going forward they'd toss this off the cuff (IMO) point of view that you stated above and FOLLOW the RICH DC Comic Book lore..

"IF" they introduce John Stewart as a Green Lantern in the NEXT JL movie include his MARINE ROOTS, as well as his SOCIAL JUSTICE stance that he sometimes took on as Black Superhero...
    [IMG]

Be BOLD, and include HAL JORDAN, as well. Young Justice did it.

Show Bruce Wayne from a HUMAN standpoint and not some aloof, brooding crazy man

TONE DOWN Frat Boy Aquaman just a TAD...he "IS" the King of Atlantis - or at least I thought he was.

I "LOVED" Flash - the character AND the actor. I thought BOTH were awesome. Same with Cyborg.

Be even BOLDER and include DC's BEST KEPT SECRET -

[IMG]

I know it's a stretch but I'm holding out hope that the name on that BOAT that Lex and Deathstroke was on at the very end of the movie was indeed ICON'S boat - being that his alter ego (Augustus Freeman) was VERY wealthy.....and who else could Deathstroke And Lex have on this "Team" of theirs to go up against the Justice League?

We know Deathstroke isn't going to fight Superman.

There are SO MANY ways DC Cinematic Universe could go with this. They need to TOSS the current mold they're using and return somewhat to their ROOTS....

If they need to let Zach Snyder do his thing (sans Joss Whedon) then so be it.

Jack Kirby would be flipping in his grave right now if he saw some of this stuff at the movies.....
    • Like x 2
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Personally feel, the problem with the DCCU, is they are attempting to copy Marvels success without first copying the foundation that Marvel laid out, the MCU has been wait, twenty years in the making? DC is attempting to do that in just five (or is it less?)

And worse, they keep rebooting everything instead of building off of previous movies. Personally believe the first couple Marvel movies were stand alone movies, but then they decided to have them be connected: something that happens in one movie gets referenced in another, even if just in the background, they all share the same world (well, not counting the Fox-verse, other than a certain ****-arachnoid)
    Even though they changed Hulk, what happened in the first one wasn't simply ignored when they made the second one, every time they do a new Blatman or Soupcan, they ignore what happened previously

Wait, we can't even say **** Sapiens on these forums?
    • Like x 1
  4. Anothername Well-Known Player

Because Humans are offensive ;)
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That comment offends me!
    • Like x 1
  6. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    It's not movie news but some news for the TITANS show. Actor, Brenton Thwaites, who has been cast as Dick Grayson has released on social media some photos of him in costume
    [IMG][IMG]
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Okay, so that is the actual costume, and not a simply CGI of what they want the costume to look like

Have they ever come up with a real-world explanation for how those masks stay on? o_O
    Other than super-glue, because at least the old style that went around the head mad sense, the strapless type? No idea
  8. Anothername Well-Known Player

[IMG]

nah, kidding. :p

I read some of the Rebirth Nightwing & Titans issues and he looks like a good choice.

Looking forward to this. Mainly how it integrates with the DC-TV universe and what loopholes they take to not mention Batman while totally mentioning him. Well, at least that there is a Bruce Wayne in Gotham was validated without doubt in one of the recent Arrow episodes.
  9. Anothername Well-Known Player

I guess the first pic is wearing an actual costume but digitally enhanced; the 2nd just the costume as it is.
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

The costume looks the same in both (counting for the difference due to lighting), the actor on the other hand... :p
  11. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

There is a definite color difference between the two pictures. Now whether the first is being enhanced/color brightened or the second is just of low quality is unknown.

Lighting does have it's effects, remember how you felt about those original pictures of Supergirl (I certainly remember your comments :)) ? Whether it was lighting or enhancing they were really pushing color in the first pic.
  12. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

There was a movie or show that had an explanation of some kind of special skin friendly glue built into the mask, which was real world possible. It didn't explain the vanishing black eye makeup though.

Sorry I cant remember the name of it.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Slater Supergirl, or tights Supergirl? Depending on what was said (have no idea, have bad thought-recall :( ), quite possibly still feel the same way
  14. Anothername Well-Known Player

Weird. After the other DCEU movies I was able to directly pre-order the Steelbook at Amazon; this time with Justice League it appears it does not have one.

Yeah. That is what I meant. Same costume but enhanced in the first picture while the 2nd some kind of set photo or something.
  15. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Not just real world possible. Real world exists. A lot of women use it to keep from flashing nipples and so on with certain styles of dresses and bikinis.
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Meant the actor himself looks a little 'digitally enhanced' in the first photo

Double-sided tape? Would that really work on the face? Please don't say they use spray-glue...
  17. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Never watched Face/Off on Syfy?

IIRC it’s usually brushed onto facial prosthetics before they’re set in place.
    • Like x 1
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, butt how difficult is it to remove?
    Don't know why they got rid of the strapped style, at least those made sense and were easy to remove when needed
  19. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

latex adhesives and spirit gums can be peeled off. little bits of left over can be removed with make up remover, soap and water and a few special solutions. "disappearing" inks and dyes exist with a fewremoved with just water and/or steam...
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

How many times can they be removed and reapplied without using more gum?