WB/DC Cinematic Universe News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

The embargo is over, let the reviews pile on. No spoilers ahead.

• Like x 2
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Let me guess: they are all rave reviews praising the new steaming pile
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Not even close, you should take a look at the ones I posted, they are quite different from each other. Basically it has many, many faults but it is still a fun watch.
    • Like x 1
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

It's at a 40% with RT
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Okay then, shockingly surprised
  6. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Saw it today.

... Meh
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Apparently, the AquaDork movie has been completed, Momoa spilled the roe on Graham Norton (can't find that part and not re-watching the whole thing)
    Oh, and he doesn't get the trident until a later movie
  8. Controller Devoted Player

I'll give it a solid 8 / 10.

I take away one point because it was hard to follow at times and another for a reason I won't explain here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

But it's a fun movie...highly recommended.
    • Like x 1
  9. Anothername Well-Known Player

I dare not to hope but after Cavill was finally allowed to really play Superman and totally nailed it (as I always thought he would if he is allowed to): I WANT THAT MOVIE! *cough*

But again; I try not to get my hopes up too much.
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So as you probably all know by now, JUSTICE LEAGUE opened with a less than expected box office in the US and even though it was slightly helped with the overseas box office, WB still stands to lose a substantial amount of money which leaves the future of the DC cinematic universe in question.

However, first and foremost, the movie is not a fail as how many on the internet likes to suggest, it's under-performing and not living up to the potential it can be. Because when critics gave the movie a mixed review at first, grading it a B- at max, it was the box office performance that began spurring new postings from those same critics branding the film a fail. Yes, the movie has positives and negatives, but ultimately it seems the combination of visions between Snyder and Whedon, the past mediocre results and bad buzz from Bats vs Supes and Suicide Squad, studio interference, and a lack of someone overseeing and guiding the entire film universe a la, a Kevin Feige type, not the money-men from the WB executive board caused this imminent result.

Now what WB/DC should do right now is not scrap and reboot everything as some on the internet suggest but continue with the Batman, Wonder Woman 2, and Aquaman films which are already in production. However, they must halt further development in the other DC projects because it seriously needs a restructuring.
    I know both John Berg and Geoff Johns are the current Kevn Feige for WB/DC, however, they are constantly circumvented by the studio execs, but this is the very problem.

WB/DC was different from Marvel because it was filmmaker driven with talented directors at the helm (but with less talented writers :rolleyes:) but as we all saw, the studio is reactionary and gets easily nervous resulting in the studio taking back creative control and modifying the film post production (And we all know how that turned out :oops: ), either go all in with what you envisioned or don't bother. The studio also has to stop cramming unwanted movie concepts and rushing them into production (Deadshot or Black Adam solo movies?) just to compete with Marvel. They should focus on their current characters and do their standalone movies, hold off on another team up movie. Wonder Woman proved it can be done but compared to the other DC movies before it that were all flash but with very little substance, quality is key.

11. Controller Devoted Player

As long as they keep making movies I'll go see them - Rotten Tomatoes be danged.
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

And... that's kinda the problem, while loyalty is great, if people continue to go watch their rubbish (or worse, pay to see) then they will continue releasing rubbish, the only way to get them to improve their game is to stop paying for rubbish
  13. Controller Devoted Player

Well, "Rubbish" is in the eye of the beholder.

As much as I had some issues with BvS I found Justice League to be an improvement and a fun movie.

I'd rate BvS as a 7/10.

My initial grade for Justice League - in a different thread stands - 8/10.

Looking forward to MORE DC movies and MORE Justice League characters.
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wasn't actually being specific regarding their rubbish
  15. Controller Devoted Player

To my knowledge there is only Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, MOS, BvS and now Justice League.

You consider ALL of those rubbish?

Could you be more specific? Just curious.
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

You are forgetting all the Nolan Batfreak movies, plus Superman Returns

But yes, do consider all those you mentioned to be rubbish, butt to be specific, was referring to any future releases, it's a bit late for the ones that have already been released, but if a future one is rubbish, then don't support it (and yes, you can tell if a movie is going to be rubbish before release: trailers will give you an idea, not mention the cast or even the 'behind the scenes' action)

If you like the movie, then that's fine, that's your opinion and you are free to have it (unless you are in certain countries where you are not even free to think your own thoughts, butt if that was the case, you wouldn't be here)
  17. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

While I, like you, went to see JUSTICE LEAGUE, disregarding what Rotten Tomatoes graded the movie and support it because I'm both a comic book and DC fan and I enjoyed the movie. However, the studio ultimately is in it to make money and the DC property alone makes a lot of money but if the movies are not making the expected earnings, you can bet WB will either slow down or scrap the amount of DC movies they make and go back to the drawing board.
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

And, just to clarify: am not anti-DC (wouldn't be here if was), nor pro-Marvel, am anti-rubbish and pro-quality, had been looking forward to seeing Deadpool 2, but will not be going to see it because of Afromino
  19. Controller Devoted Player

Dark and Aurora - I understand, good points.

I guess that is where Marvel / DC differs - or at least used to.

Marvel - from its first movies it seems - appeared to understand the FAN.

DC - appears to JUST be catching on - with Justice League.

I'm optimistic for DC's future, though.
    • Like x 1
  20. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Jump to 21:20 to see John answers a question regarding an article from The Warp, talking about WB.

He spends 13 minutes on it.

If The Warp's article has truth to it, that brings a sad new light on the DC movies but it could mean that there is still hope to fix it.