WB/DC Cinematic Universe News

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Anothername Well-Known Player

My thoughts: Sad news. WW was not good and successful because of being somewhat more standalone than Suicide Squad. It was because of good writing & directing on top of also having had a generally applauded impressive appearance in the DCEU movie BvS.

DC making (non-Batman) standalone movies is not a guaranteed success; and everybody who believes that is in serious need for a Catwoman/Green Lantern double feature night.

How many uninterested and phlegmatic people must WB/DC have sitting in the big chairs to mess that up?
    • Like x 2
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    As November and the release of Justice League nears, WB/DC has been promoting the movie heavily. Especially here in Times Square, NYC, fans can take pictures of various movie props, free posters, and a meet and greet with Geoff Johns and Jim Lee.
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 2
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

4. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So here is a new 3 min trailer that was just released
    • Like x 2
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's a cool trailer, but it just didn't grab me like I thought it might.

Even with knowing as much as I do about the characters from the comics, it's tough to feel that same connection with the characters in the films. Part of that is due to the somewhat divisive aspects of both Man of Steel and BvS, but the other part is that it's tough to connect with characters that are really getting their solid introductions in this film. It doesn't exactly help that there seemed to be a lot of clichés being thrown around in the dialogue.

It's not the same problems I had with the BvS trailers and it looks like it will be a better film than BvS. But it's just not getting me hyped.
  6. light FX Steadfast Player

My issue is with the director change. I wasnt a fan of synder. But changing directors when the movie is almost finished is never a good sign. And it was done because WB execs seem to be so out of their element here. They seem so unsure and nervous. And have knee jerk reactions to even a few reviews from critics/fans. Joss whedon may make the movie better. But typically movies that replace the director this late are not very good. Perfect example of this is rogue one. What a steaming pile of crap that movie was lol.

What DC has failed to do that marvel has done so well is character building and backstory. Getting fans invested in the characters, making them care about the characters is the key. They seem to think fans will care simply because its aquaman or the flash. Imo they are rushing all of this way too much. Death of superman was done way too quickly imo and now the 3rd movie in their universe already introduces darkseid. Yes steph is the bad guy in this film but clearly its meant to show darkseid is coming. Marvel has taken 10 years to get to thanos. The buildup to that is the exciting part. It gets fans invested. Imo DC has a lot to learn when it comes to their movie universe. Hopefully it gets better.

And still no footage of superman actually alive in the movie. We all know hes gonna be there. Movie is a month away. This isnt buildup. Its just dumb. And cyborg still looks like a transformer lol.
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I won't argue with you on the building job Marvel did or DC rushing things. That was some of the beauty of what Marvel did with their films, setting things in place bit by bit and building on them over the years. One of the things I've always found interesting in their shared universe is seeing how what they do ends up affecting other films or even the Agents of SHIELD series. Heck, the big reveal in Winter Soldier really turned things upside down in that TV show.

It's just surprising that DC and Warner Brothers seems like they need to learn that, though. The Harry Potter series alone should have been a blueprint of sorts for them to use, never mind using what was working for their competition.
    • Like x 2
  8. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

You have valid points but the reason for the director change was not because WB/DC were nervous that Snyder was repeating the same dark, edgy, brooding universe that was presented in MOS or BvS. Both he and his wife left the project out due to the tragic loss of his daughter and left it in the hands of Whedon
    • Like x 2
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    While not DCEU related but still DC related, here is a first look of the CW Seed's CONSTANTINE
  10. light FX Steadfast Player

I knew that was part of it. I read there were other reasons too. Maybe that isnt true? idk. Still doesnt change the fact it has been reported that WB execs seem very unsure and knee jerk react to opinions. Look at what they did with SS. Im sure we all know how hollywood people can be. They want things to look a certain way, give off a specific impression. They will change 1 line or 1 word because of "how things look." My guess is geoff johns is dealing with a lot of silliness. I would love nothing more then these DC films to be great. I had such high hopes for SS and was let down. WW was great tho.

What they need to do is build off WW and its success. Use that as the blueprint but also link the movies/universe together. And the blueprint for this is already out there. The last 10 years of marvel. Take what they have done and improve it. Do it better. DC's heroes are more iconic. All they need is good writing. Look at what the batman nolan films did. There are so many example out there for them to follow and improve on that there should be 0 excuses. Making a great movie should be easy for em at this point. The whole martha thing in BvS? It really makes ya wonder how on earth that was approved. Cause of what i said above, they comb over every little thing with these movies now. Nothing gets into the movie unless its approved by multiple people.

Also i dont get the direction they are taking with the flash. Look at the 2 trailers. He needs friends and seems sad. Now hes amazed by the bat signal like hes a small child. Its like they are portraying him as the silly idiot. And the flash is far from dumb. Its odd to say the least.
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Felt the same way: after seeing that trailer, felt nothing but an underwhelming 'Meh!'
  12. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

Loved the new trailer, especially the opening sequence with Clark and Lois. It hit the right notes for me.
  13. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    Just an update on the SHAZAM film. It appears that the studio is currently casting supporting roles

[DANIEL]11, Korean. Daniel is a smart kid, into video games and reading non-fiction. SUPPORTING
    [CARLOS]15, Hispanic, overweight, with asthma. Carlos is very shy and sweet. SUPPORTING
    [SUZY]8-10, African American. A sweet, bubbly girl with glasses and pigtails. SUPPORTING

Guess they're bringing the Marvel family of the new52
    [IMG]
  14. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

WB/DC promoting JUSTICE LEAGUE has release an exclusive first look for AT&T phone users
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  15. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Bruce lives!!!! This weeks Arrow will confirm that Bruce Wayne exists in the Arrowverse. No this does not necessarily mean that Bats exists but he might in time. And no that stuff in Supergirl doesn't count, IMO.

Also the casting is done.
    • Like x 1
  16. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

With the latest poster that was released a few days ago, what is with that horrible blue color they put on Bats? That looks like the printer slipped on the toning dial and hoped no one would notice. Flash is a mess too, he's so overly red, the rest are good though. Seems to be another overreaction to criticism.
  17. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Cyborg promo and this guy's detailed look at it after.

18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No, that's the problem now days: instead of a company releasing good trailers that don't reveal spoilers (or at least, not half of the plot), they reveal spoiler after spoiler and we get people analizing over every. little. detail! And speculating on what everything means

Just watch the damn trailer and decide if you want to go see the full movie or not, that's how we did it in the past. We either liked the trailer or not, decided on seeing the movie or not, and didn't scrutinize it into the ground, but then again, studios made movies they wanted, and didn't change the entire plot halfway through production because a small handful of idiots didn't like the trailer (oh yeah, that was the other thing: you didn't even get a trailer until the movie was finished)
  19. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So since Deathstroke is no longer the main baddie for the upcoming Batman solo film, it seems WB/DC still want actor Joe Manganiello to play the part but in a solo film with THE RAID director, Gareth Evans attached
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  20. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    Just to let you know, advance tickets are now on sale. Also, here is an international trailer for JUSTICE LEAGUE