Water might dps

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by xxHELLSTROKExx, Mar 8, 2022.

1. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

We all know that it’s considered the weakest might based dps class. I’ve been using it on an alt for a few years and her ST surprises a lot of people. I’ve been using trident/shark/finisher/heat vision/rsk/call of the deep. Artis are solar/ trans/ scrap. I’m thinking of changing it up to swap solar for EoG and go with whirlpool and drop rsk for the super generator. It’s a clear drop testing at the moment since I can’t actually equip EoG so was wondering if anyone else is running it and has any advice.

Call of the deep hits hard. I’d like to use dehydration but that doesn’t make sense since there’s no head mod and it doesn’t count as a super so the chest mod is useless. I’ve tried NVB and that for sure doesn’t do as well as whirlpool on groups or mixed boss/adds. Call being 10k means not great for EoG dps build. Ideas?

Recently switched my muni toon to the same (well, comparable) setup. Using turret instead of biggun and that’s working well as long as I use my super while adds are out. He’s tetra/scrap/EoG but also gets the cooldown back mod for it so that may be contributing to its effectiveness. Plus it’s muni vs water.

Even if you don’t have any experience with what I’m talking about, feel free to share your water load outs so I can see if I’m missing something. The timing of the moves is what really seems to be limiting build design. As of now I can go generator-shark-trident-finisher-hv-shark-trident-finish-hv- and back to generator. I only need crushed pi for trident so wondering if I should be replacing other powerset powers to take advantage of the pi.

Other reason for switching solar to EoG is because I do heal with her on occasion and sa clearly doesn’t help there but for sure a double super EoG/scrap/trans build can heal anything.
    • Like x 2
  2. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

For water, I prefer using trans, Quislet, and solar.
    Heat vision, lance, shark, torrent, whirlpool, rsk.

Quislet puts out a nice amount of damage, especially when you hit SC. Maybe jump on test and run comparisons to see which way works best for you.

Yes, most people see water as weak vs other powers, I do see it putting out a bit less than my other powers, but it is 'good.'

For aoe, trans, grim, Quislet:
    Lance to bubble, shark, depth charge, ebb combo, rsk.

Lance clip bubble, shark, depth, ebb, shark, depth, ebb, lance, shark, depth, ebb, shark, depth, ebb, repeat.
    The rotation has raised eyebrows lol.
    • Like x 1
  3. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

It sounds like you're trading out a single target artifact for an aoe artifact, one which highly suggests you find others to stand in it's orange circle. Understandably, you're going to do less boss damage but will likely do more aoe damage. Personally, I'd prefer Quislet over EoG for this aoe slot, but you do you. I would also run Trans and Strat in every aoe setting, but I would drop Strat in a single target setting.

I only keep 2 loadouts these days (because this is an alt with limited armories); 1 is a general purpose loadout and the other is an aoe melee-ranged loadout. Both use RSK and Call of the Deep.

General Purpose (I'm 100% sure I got this from AVTV's might dps guide, but he suggests using Lernaea's Amulet.).
    Heat Vision > Ebb (combo)(clipped with) > Depth Charge > Freezing Breath (2 ticks)(tap cancel) > Ebb (combo)(clipped with) > Repeat

Aoe Melee-ranged (only really melee-ranged because of Crashing Wave - could add Whirling Dervish if SS)
    Crashing Wave > Depth Charge > Water spouts > Ebb (combo)(clipped with) > Repeat

I agree that Dehydrate needs more love, but it at least benefits from being useful at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% sc, making it rather flexible. It will also free you up to run Penetrating Strikes in place of Extended Supercharge, but the helmet tactical mod becomes moot.
    • Like x 2
  4. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I got dizzy just reading that haha. I like quislet but I’m still trying for dual role setups and he’d be just as useful on healer side as my solar amp haha. I’ve used ebb before but I really hate combos cuz I’m lazy haha. I’ll give it another whirl tho. But as much as I hate the generator, I like pi’s and I like infinite supers. Too many choices haha. I’ll give that loadout a run with my setup as is for sure tho so thank you for that!
    • Like x 1
  5. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I run 2 dps armories so I was going to keep hv in for the st one which is what I listed above. For AoE, I mostly have been using hv because I have solar at 180. So it’s AoE-ish. I’ve never been a fan of Strat on adds cuz they die so quickly that it’s procs are probably not truly effective. I’ve used amulet on a few others and I’m just not good with it. I get it but I don’t want to cancel or my finisher is too important in my LO to skip and stack it up.

Water does seem to want to be melee huh? I’ve been trying to stay away from melee but I’m going to give that a try on my 2nd armory. Has it been pug raid viable for you? Not running bubble? I know it’s a buff shield but I never run shields as dps so never tried.
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I have a couple loadouts for Water. Just like all powers you would do better with a variety of loadouts for different situations.

AoE: Build: Team work based elite, green spam groups

Arts: Trans, Strat, Gemini
    Loadout: Drown, EBB, Depth Charge, Freezing breath (2 ticks only), RSK, SC
    Rotation:
    Drown > EBB/Depth Charge > Freezing breath > EBB/Depth Charge > Drown > Repeat

I like this loadout for fights with a lot of adds that can survive more than 6 seconds or bosses that spawn a lot of adds. Think TSDe or the fight with murk and the other bosses. Even the fight with the dark knights in 1 room.
    KEY NOTE: If adds die fast than start loses great value. You would do better replacing it with quislet. You can also replace gemini if there is no green spam or you have to separate from each other. Grim would also be a good option to swap in for EoG.

ST Build:

Arts: Trans, Strat, Gemini
    Loadout: Heat vision, EBB, Depth Charge, Finisher, RSK, SC
    Roatation:
    Heat Vision (Jump cancel after 3rd tick) > EBB/Depth Charge > Finisher > Repeat

This one is pretty straight forward. With no Solar amp I jump clip heat vision to line up the cooldown of the other abilities so that I can get back into the finisher as soon as it is off cooldown.
    Key Note: If you have to be spread apart or there is no green spam than I swap out EoG for Grim. Grim Sets up PI for both EBB and depth charge. You can use quislet instead of grim too.

Pet AoE Build:

Arts: Source Shard, Quislet, Grim
    Loadout: Godwave, EBB, Depth Charge, Shark, RSK, SC
    Roatation:
    EBB/Depth Charge > Shark > repeat > Use Godwave when off cooldown

This one is straight forward. You are rotating between 3 abilities and when godwave is off cooldown you use it. If you use a SC than use godwave first followed by your SC to make sure that godwave buffs quislets SC attack too.

Pet ST Build:

Arts: Source Shard, Quislet, Grim
    Loadout: Heat Visoon, EBB, Godwave, Finisher, RSK, SC
    Rotation:
    Heat Vision > EBB > Finisher > EBB > Repeat > Use godwave when off cooldown

Similar to the non-pet ST you will be jump canceling Heat Vision here to line up the cooldown of your finisher. You will Jump clip right before EBB will get off cooldown to let you go straight into it.
    • Like x 1
  7. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

That’s funny, when I switched my main to water for sm (yeah I caved but was better with sorcery) that’s the exact pet build I had. Wasn’t canceling the hv animation tho. I was surprised how well the pet build worked then figured out that it just works well with any powerset. I may switch my main back to water for a bit cuz I am getting bored with him a bit. Which means I can try all these builds since he’s got all the artis… damn you all haha
  8. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Even on my sorcery I use RSK over fury/offering. I felt like I was waiting off on using offering and godwave when their cooldowns were near each other since I wanted to use them in conjunction. This made the rotation feel very clunky on a power who's best moves already feel clunky lol. So I opted out to use a more streamlined rotation using RSK and another ability over fury and offering. I was even using a pet build on my Atomic for a while. The only reason I stopped using pet build with atomic is because Atomic already has so many mandatory abilities and I like having swoop attack in my loadout for raids/alerts since I am flight.

Edit:
    That reminds me to post my daily loadout sice EBB is terrible for dailies lol

Daily Build:
    Drown, Depth Charge, Shark, Freeze Breath, RSK, Swoop Attack

Rotation:
    Drown > DC > Shark > FB > DC > Shark > > repeat

swoop attack removes movement penalty so I can move from one group to the next asap meaning my dailies get done faster.
    • Like x 1
  9. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Yeah, I know the feeling. I just always wait out gw. Since I’m just spamming soul bolt or vengeance, it’s not terrible. At gws halfway point, I pop the finisher while st and shard while AoE and that’s a 90% reset chance for whatever reason. It’s weird, I can spam and never get a reset or use one of those at halfway and have a pretty guaranteed reset.
  10. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I always did fairly well with water you just have to use the right build
    in melee I cant remember the name but the weapon combo with the water maces is actually really good

I always loved bubble because it gives you a dot and allows you survivability as a DPS

really anything that cuts into TS or Ebb is going to reduce your over all damage. even though you shold clip in others such as trident and rip you can really get by with just the combo's

it is lacking compared to a lot of other might powers but with work or replacing with movements can compete with most

(I personally hate having to rely on heat vision with just about every powerset I wouldn't mind if it was changed but i know most rely on it now.... but yea thinking that way actually makes me feel better about it I love hearing the crys like someone cant adapt to change
    always brightens my day )
    • Like x 1
  11. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Yeah I don’t love using hv either but she’s my only toon that uses it. She’s actually the only one using an iconic besides rsk on their dps side. And none use a movement mode ability. All are constant chart toppers. My issue is always balance. Like my ice and muni guys are great at AoE and decent at st. Then my water and sorcery are incredible for st and decent AoE. Where is the missing link haha. (It’s in movement mode and iconics)
    • Like x 1
  12. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

With a burst type loadout, strat does get whooped by quite a few artifacts. I've tested strat vs grim, and Quislet on burst, and Quislet wins by a significant amount.
    However, strat is great for dot loadouts, like a dot electric or nature. It's also great for healing, especially if you riptide solace, or high-tide the 8 man heal and use tsunami strikes.

But if you're running limited armories, and wanting to use artifacts for both roles, trans and strat will be a good combo, then scrap in my opinion if you're wanting to be more SC focused.
    • Like x 1
  13. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

I have your same arts lineup (Amp, Trans, Scrap) and I use Dehydrate along with the super generator. If you have a healer running EOG, Dehydrate can be insane. With a full bar and buffs & debuffs running, I've hit bosses for 2.5 mill. And the other fun part about it is that you can use it when your super is at any point, and it can begin to hit hard at even 10% full. I think a lot of people sleep on Dehydrate but it has some novel uses for sure.
    • Like x 4
  14. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

For sure. It’s probably the best power in the game really since it’s so versatile. I’ve never even noticed if it’s st or splits. Been awhile since I’ve used it. Maybe I should be going that route again. Ghuh, why are there so many viable choices??? I’m just being cheap, I can be honest. I don’t heal much with her but figured I might if EoG got thrown in. It’s like the one powerset where EoG isn’t one of the better choices it seems. Dehydrate definitely hits harder than call. Probably close to double now. Dang. Back to the drawing board.
  15. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Dehydrate is ST only. I really wish that dehydrate would activate Quislet's extra measure attack, I would be keeping that in my loadout instead of a SC if that was the case.
    • Like x 1
  16. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Wouldn’t get your hopes up for 2 reasons. One, it would then have to be a 5 or 10k super. Which I suppose isn’t terrible but ruins the coolness of it. 2nd, if it didn’t have to be changed to a “real” super, what would happen with EoGs? I do like the thought of it becoming a super since it’s probably the hardest hitting “super” there is tho.
    • Like x 2
  17. Drewbolt Greatest Healer of this Generation

Melee isn't necessary, but it's pretty fun. My melee rotation technically only has one close range attack, which could be swapped for Drown for a quick PI application and supercharge generation.
  18. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

My idea would be more among the lines of, if %50 of SC or more is drained, it activates the smaller of Quislet's attacks, %100 or more to activate the big one. Anything less than 50% would result in nothing.
  19. L T Devoted Player

I find Water to be really fun to play. Some comments in case anyone cares:

Drown isn't the worst way to apply PI, but it's not great, and leaving aside Drewbolt's creativity, it's your only choice. For that reason, I really, really suggest Grim as an artifact with Water.

Depth Charge is your hardest-hitting attack but is a very narrow cone. That has its pros and cons-- but it's a thing to get used to.

Dehydrate is a really crazy strong supercharge not supercharge/anti-supercharge/I'm not sure what to call it ability. Don't do single target fights without it.
    • Like x 1
  20. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I agree, grim is great with water. I've noticed in my years with water, it's a very "position specific" power. You've got to make sure you position yourself around the adds to where you're hitting them all or at least most, to get the most benefit from damage. I've gotten into the habit of jumping frequently when executing a power, so I can make sure my positioning is right to be most effective. Water certainly is fun!
    • Like x 1