Warcraft losing millions of players, and will lose more

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Liongale, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Liongale Dedicated Player

I don't know if all of you have been seeing the laughable state of World of Warcraft lately, but since Cataclysm, with their only-elitists-need-to-apply raids coupled with massive healing nerfs cost them 1/3rd of their player base... well, they're at it again!

Despite realizing their errors and fixing how healing works, their new expansion is coming out and it's backed with the same 'triage' healing that decimated their playerbase from Cataclysm. Sure, there's a lot of issues that caused the exodus of accounts, but a lot of problems stemmed from just that issue, avalanching down over everyone else.

I just subscribed after qutting that game (I quit because 8 of our healers quit, and I was a tank, not even a healer!) because my friends said how good the game was again and wanted me to play with them... I am nooooping right out and cancelling again before the damage is done.

I just wanted to post this because I'm shaking my head so much it's making my head fall off. But this makes me love DCUO even more, especially with how much they are trying to find something for all players of all skill leves now, with their Work in Progress and human feedback (especially by Spytle) who talks to us like a fellow player, and not someone who ignores negative feedback like Warcraft is doing (it's only 'constructive' if you agree with their bad choices in their forums).

Hate Warcraft. Love DCUO. ...wish I could farm exobits at work instead of reading forums.
    • Like x 8
  2. Dirty Fred New Player

I farm some exos for you ^^ !
    • Like x 1
  3. Feenicks New Player

Never really had an interest in that game. I get my fantasy fix from Neverwinter...though not lately. I played the last beta weekend for ESO and loved that! But DCUO is my home so no worries there.
    • Like x 1
  4. TrueOlympus New Player

SO basically WoW, is doing what OC did to DCUO? and Nerfing healers?
  5. TheHeartbreakkid New Player

I quit during cata and went back when they sent a free copy of mists wth a free month. Left after that. Dcuo could learn a lot from WoW with how to drop a dlc with proper content, but other than that......screw WoW. Game is so boring and at my age, I want something that I can play when I want and not have to be on all day 24/7 worrying about falling behind. WoW has too much to do and Dcuo has too little. If Dc had more content released in Dlcs it'd be perfect.
  6. TrueOlympus New Player

The only reason DCUO lacks content in its DLCs is because it has the most DLCs per year than any other MMO correct? DCUO Releases a new DLC every 3-4 months.
  7. Liongale Dedicated Player

They're doing it again! Twice over! ...after correcting the mistake when they made it the first time!

Also I did the trial panda version too. I leveled up from 85-90 just on pet battles and I have no idea what the story is about. Cata killed that much of my joy of the game for me.
  8. TheHeartbreakkid New Player

I'm not buying that one. And if that's truly the case, then give me one dlc with WoW sized expansion content per year and I'd be good with that.
  9. No Aywok New Player

I played since Vanilla, but quit about 2 months after the release of Wrath of the Lich King. In my heart, I knew that The Burning Crusade was going to be the pinnacle of WoW, both in popularity and in quality.
    • Like x 1
  10. TrueOlympus New Player

I'm not. I prefer the small DLCs that DCUO offers. Go play WoW if you want the year long wait
    • Like x 1
  11. bartngaue Well-Known Player

There's a lot of speculation why wow is losing players. I herd people on champions forum say its easy mode and that is why people are leaving. One person said you can become Lv90 for only $60 and thats avoiding the a lot grind. Another person including a wow previous developer said after LK they water'd down all the future raids for casuals making the hardcore leave looking for a challenge. Wow still holds 7.5 million plus subs and no other mmo is remotely close to it.

I think LK(Lych King) was 89 days since its release to have been beaten. That was a lot of players shinning achievement and quit after that.
  12. HealerHollidae New Player

I don't know much about wow. But dc has been pretty consistent with dlc and updates. T4 offers tons of stuff to do and t5 offers 3 dailies 3 duos 5 four man op alerts. 3 8 man that's more than any person can do in a day. Instead of looking at it by dlc look at it by tier. Also I forgot the iconic solos.

that's one thing dc has most games don't. Consistency
    • Like x 3
  13. Hero of Justice New Player

Well, it's had a ridiculously long and succesfull run. Eventually it had to end. I don't think it's dying just yet, but it's not quite the unstoppable force it used to be.
  14. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Not that I don't believe you, but I could use a source on that they lost 1/3rd of their player base.

OT: I've never been a huge fan of WoW actually. It seemed slow and the interface seemed very cluttered. My cousin tried to get me into it and it just seemed... dull as I've never actually been one to play MMO's. In WoW's defense though, the initial reason I installed and started playing this was for the comic book aspect of it. It's actually something that does keep me interested in the game. I write comics actually and I can't create a character if I don't have a story for them. I've made loads of toons, but if they don't have a story, they get deleted very quickly.
    • Like x 1
  15. TheHeartbreakkid New Player

Wah wah wah don't say anything detrimental about my dc!

WoW isn't my cup of tea, read my earlier post. My only gripe with Dcuo is the lack of content and very small dlcs. I don't even use replay badges and was done with the latest dlc in 2 weeks.
  16. Liongale Dedicated Player

This is just the first one I picked out of google, there's truckloads of reports about it
    http://www.geek.com/games/world-of-...ayers-only-7-7-million-now-subscribe-1563574/

7.7 million, at Cata they were 12 million. 4 million being 1/3rd.

So when I say 'millions', I wasn't exaggerating :p That's how baaaaad they blew it. Activision was about to blow a gasket at the quarterly report in October.
    • Like x 1
  17. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Thanks! And yea, I remember when they used to have commercials gloating about how they had nearly 13 million subscribers.

This is another reason I like dcuo. The devs are definitely way more in touch with us on this, actually communicating with players and even learning some stuff about them. I think that's part of the reason WoW is losing subs.
    • Like x 1
  18. Rebelled New Player

WoW is still doing better than all other subscription MMO's combined. The raids aren't for elitists, it's why they have LFR & Flex, so casual players can just get into raiding. Normal & heroic raids are usually filled with the usual ****** crowd but you can still find nice players who raid.(I tanked & DPS'd in raids for a long time and this has never changed).

WoW doesn't ignore feedback, it ignores everyone complaining about FoTM classes.. and every one complaining about everything. Every Developer does this, even SoE ones.

WoW's player base looks worse because there's more of them. I've seen people quit because they released on Lich King and didn't get their achievements.. others because because they got undercut, or didn't get their 0.01% droprate mount from a drop on the first try.

You quit a game because other people quit.. You obviously weren't enjoying it anymore and every game is like this. When it's not fun anymore, you shouldn't keep playing, take a break and do something else.
  19. Liongale Dedicated Player

It was a mix of because other people quit, it's because we, and a myraid of other people were posting on how terrible their new healing system was, and they responded that it wasn't constructive feedback and we should just enjoy it, and it's part of the game for healers to decide if one character dies on the other, yet making raids difficult to the point where if one person dies, you can't spare that loss anymore.

I just watched in horror as they brushed off and insulted anyone who brought up that no, this is no fun, by telling them their opinions were not valid because they did not agree with how things were. Though the developer who was in charge of all that left, then they introduced the things you said that made the game fun again. But we had already left because they didn't listen to feedback, and that not listening didn't just cost them us, and me, but millions of players. (In fact, the twitters of their devs admitted that, and how Cataclym they made mistakes pertaining to this).

...now, it just looks like they are starting the bad cycle again, just when they had things right. yuck.
  20. Rebelled New Player

They change mechanics all the time. People on WoW are spoiled and don't realize it. I remember people not healing because one of their addons wasn't functioning well. Raids aren't difficult.. People shouldn't die unless they do something dumb.. and with the huge rage timers, It's pretty easy to do raids with less than the amount required.