Vulnerability and Strength

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Miss Martian, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Hello everybody.
    As long as this is a chat community, I'd like to know how you think about the topic above, and its ups and downs, cause it's been through my mind for a long time.
    Should we have vulnerability (weakness) and strength in: (Specifically in PvE mode)
    ▪Powers: As obvious as it seems to be, some powers be stronger than each other and some be at kinda same state or do less damage.Like Fire VS Atomic which hurts Atomic less. Or Water VS Ice, or even take Fire VS Nature as well!
    ▪Roles: Perhaps you have seen in various episodes ( Like Deluge and Metal 1) that some of your enemies whether they are hero or villain, in some parts take control of "Controllers" that must have been annoying especially to Controllers. I rarely can take anything else as example, because it's usually happened to Controllers.
    ▪Another issue that I'd like to mention is the ability to dominate bosses during Raids and Alerts, in fact everyone is in bright that we are less likely able to control bosses during these runs whether we are Controller, Tank, Healer or even DPS, we can no way dominate them, even if a player has the highest amount of possible Dominance in the game. ( Please note that if this issue anytime gets changed, it won't necessarily mean that bosses will be controlled by every role or power, or even become weaker, because they are already strong enough with high amount of Damage Out and HP, I am more specific at Tanks, Trolls and what power the player who is fighting the boss has)

And I want to know is that fair to follow or unfollow such these facts, because in comics we currently have these things happening, some characters are basically stronger against others depending to some Physic Rules and their powers, and so in case of the roles, and about the high Dominance of bosses it's great thing to take a short and simple look at some comics that even bosses are vulnerable to Dominance depending on their powers, and in some cases, uncommonly due to their size or origin they may not be vulnerable. Although we have most of these things taking place in comics, should we start to do the same in the game to turn it into sth more realistic, natural and comics-ralated or not?
    ♡ Thank u for your time and attention, please correct anything which is wrong in your opinion, I appreciate putting this issue in discussion to solve this long term question of my mind.
    • Like x 3
  2. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I can see where you are coming from and in the real world as well as the actual comic book world where the entire idea behind the game comes from what you say is true..... I seriously doubt we will ever see such changes. First of all those same powers any player possesses for PvE are use in PvP and I can just imagine the uproar if suddenly any one power set is stronger that another. Heck there are still occasional threads here about "fixing this power set of that one so it is as good as others". I can hear the screaming if suddenly all a player has to do to guarantee a win against some one using FIRE is show up with a Water based character.

That's just PvP.. Now *** in the moans we'd get from PvP only players. As most are well aware we have a sizable portion of the community that are score board chasers. At times it seems like actually completing the mission is a distant second to being #1 in damage out. If one power set suddenly became stronger I shutter to think how many threads would be on here screaming about it not being fair. The Devs have to keep it set up so no matter what power set you pick you are about as strong as any other.

Like I said I see your point.. As example YES Superman is a lot stronger than Plastic Man and would kick his but in a fight every time. But I don't think we will ever see that in game
    • Like x 1
  3. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

In theory it's a cool idea, and yes, in the comics you see things like this. However, DCUO has players that LOVE to complain. I can see all the fire players throwing a fit if water is stronger than them, or the Ice players rioting because fire has an advantage over them. It would be a disaster. Trust me.
    • Like x 1
  4. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

5. Hraesvelg Always Right

We used to have role-specific boosts in PvP (Think Rock, Paper, Scissors)...and we see how well that went.
  6. spack2k Steadfast Player

Maybe this is the way to milk PvP... try hards will try switching powers to end up on top, a vicious respec token cycle :p
  7. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

well I couldn't care less about pvp but would be kinda cool to see some benefit and cooperation with powers in pve... for example a friend and I are both fire and we had a munitions user for awhile as well, all three of us had to inflict our own "burn" to enemies in order to utilize power interactions which seems kinda messed up personally, but I hope we can get to a point where powers could interact with each other to the point one of us could hit burn and the other two can hold off on using an ability a little longer. or in the case of a water and an ice user can go out the water user hits the water circle(I don't know the name of the moves im sorry) and the ice hits the aoe move and the aoe would get increased or they take more damage....if they were in support roles then anyone in the heal zone gains a bonus amount of defense..

sorry if that confuses ppl and I apologize for not remembering the names of the powers.
  8. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

as opposed to just selectively breaking power sets over and over again...

wait it's the same thing, nevermind...
  9. Irvynnge Loyal Player

DCUO is the first mmo I ever played. I had absolutely no idea how an mmo worked when I created my first ever character. I decided I was gonna make a street level tech vigilante type character. so, hand blasts, gadgets, acrobatics. done. I went in under the natural assumption that my character wasn't going to be as strong as a character who has super strength, or a green lantern, or as fast as the Flash. it wasn't until I heard people complaining that power x wasn't doing the same damage as power y that the concept of "balance" even entered my head. what I'm trying to say is that I'd be totally fine with a system by which individual powers gave you specific advantages / disadvantages. can't see it ever happening, though. can you imagine?
  10. Solarbound Committed Player

I've brought up this idea myself about a year ago in-game through a shout chat discussion. We used to have an RPS system that specified more so role advantages within PVP, an era which I miss dearly. Yet, I always wondered why the same was never applied towards the aspect of power advantages and disadvantages instead. Going back to PVP, I can understand why players would complain when al they do is want everything easy. But, there still would be a right way to go about such a model. For example, me as a fire user going against someone who's water. Surely, knowing how elementals work, water should be guaranteed that win over fire. Yet, what if the system was designed with a way to strategize around those disadvantages you may face? You know, like pop a certain ability that could be a life-saver in such a scenario, bringing back a skill factor that has been missing for far too long from PVP. It could work and personally I would be all for such a design. PVE could benefit to some degree from that as well in the same sense. Just imagining myself making Mr. Freeze's evil plans that much more difficult with my fire power. Yeah, that would be fun. Unfortunately, I feel that DCUO is just too far gone to even introduce such a change. One can dream, right? Let's see how 2020 goes -_-
  11. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

It would be ultra-cool to have power interactions of all sorts, but the devs have enough trouble trying to keep powers and weapons balanced as is; throwing in multiple pi interactions between at least some combinations of powers would, I am guessing, bring a nightmare of complications for attempting anything resembling balance.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this. It would be great to see Ice freeze Water and water transmit electricity and celestial boost sorcery and so on and so forth, but it just seems likely to be a huge project to contemplate and I doubt DCUO would make such a complex change at this point.

Again, to conclude: I'd be delighted to be wrong.

Not if the fire is hot enough and turns the water to super-heated vapor. Every power can have a counter, no matter what seems "natural" at a first glance.
  12. Solarbound Committed Player

Your nitpicking steered entirely away from the point I built up to, but okay, smh.
  13. kingmasternova Loyal Player

Its a good idea for a offline game, but for a online game. There are people that speed hacks, scoreboard chases etc.
  14. BSEison Well-Known Player

I think about power match-ups a lot and I think it would be great if there was some sort of advanced strategy when you have certain powers interacting. Like if you have an ice character fighting Mr Freeze on equal stats, because your powers match, weapon hits would do more damage than powers. Or maybe if all the powers had a rock, paper, scissors style ranking for which are best to fight others?

But I think these sort of ideas would be better at the beginning of a game and it's too late to implement in this game. Changing things now would be too big of a deal for players and developers.