Update on Armories

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Captain Liberty, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Just to clarify, bait and switch is this:

Store A sells widgits. They advertise a particular widgit at a low price. Customer X comes in to but said widgit but this particular widgit is sold out but Store A does have this other widgit which isn't only better than the one on sale but more expensive. The bait is the sale. The switch is all they have left are more expensive widgits. Car dealers have been doing this forever.
    • Like x 1
  2. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

And it's all 100% your choice whether or not to buy it. There is no obligation whatsoever so if you choose to purchase it, it's your choice.
    • Like x 3
  3. thelostczarnian New Player

some are still going berserk on price but i think its fair what you guys did here as i can get a 15 dollar card from walmart that grants 500 bonus sc to get a 4 pack... that sounds just about right to me and im sure others are forgetting about this option :)
  4. oF1RESTARo New Player

Some people are never satisfied.
    Thank you DC for listening to the players and adjusting the price. I for one thought they would be $10 each and prayed for $3. I can deal with this price point and will be buying 8 for me and 4-8 for the wife.
    • Like x 1
  5. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I'm buying a pact of eight as well! But, I'm making the husband buy his own. ;-)
    • Like x 3
  6. The Jokster New Player

ok im going to say this, first dcuo for an amazing game LOVE IT 3yrs running now. Ok to get back to wat most of y'all r talking about. Every business needs to make money no matter how u look at it. Im a chef n we cant CONSTANTLY giveaway free stuff. Where do we make OUR money back. How will i pay my employees. How do i pay the bills n etc. I also play on Playstation Home which when it first released in '08 Sony owned it now Playstation Home is owned by developers. If u have the equipment n time u also can be a developer. Thts how Playstation Home makes its money with different developers like lockwood, heavy water, ndreams etc. If u buy their stuff THT development team gets paid. Now as for most of y'all jobs. Y'all like to get paid right. Y'all won't work for free right. Ok same goes for the DCUO development team. U didn't get your ps3 or 4 for free did u lol.
    • Like x 2
  7. Jamie New Player

People need to calm down. In these last 2 pages there have been several posts removed, at least 4. Try to remember taht everyone is entitled to their opinion and be respectful of that. Some people are happy with the pricing, some people think the pricing is too high, and other will only be happy if SOE gives away all armories for free.

the truth of the matter is that SOE changed the pricing after we complained. If yu are a pessimist SOE always planned on charging $6 but used an unethical business technique to get us to accept it. Most of us feel that SOE got a little greedy but listened to us objecting in a reasonable and respectful matter and responding in a reasonable and respectful matter. Others were happy with the initial pricing and hopefully feel that SOE deserves some good will for listening to the majority.

This game would be so much better if we (the community) could agree more often like we did on the initial pricing and respond like we did. If yuo really care about DCUO and it's future then I urge you to try thinking about things in a rational way and when someone disgrees with you then you discuss your views and determine if you can every agree and move on if needed. I know I am not perfect at this and could (and should) do better. Maybe if we try this approach with the dev's we can get better answers as to why something is the way it is.

Case in point - Test server for the Playstation. This topic usually ends up getting a locked thread very quick. I would love to have a rational discussion with the dev's to determine if there is a reasonable way to make this happen with out having to hire a bunch of lawyers and sign a bunch of new agreements. But these threads quickly turn into dev bashing threads. So now PS players feel like we are getting a raw deal, there are not enough PC players doing testing to catch all of the issues, and we end up with inferior products as a result. We severely outnumber the dev's and we come from vastly differenjt backgrounds so there is a chance that the dev's have not thought of a solution but one of us had. While we continue to be disrespectful and attack each other we have no right to ask for the dev's to participate in conversations like this.
    • Like x 6
  8. Prodigy Progeny Dedicated Player

Do you charge the same price for appetizers/sides as you do entrees???? Dont mind paying $20 for a steak...but im not spending $20 on mashed potatoes.
  9. Cloud_9 New Player

Even if the last part was tongue in cheek, the usage of the term "glorious master PC race" only diminishes my opinion of you. As such, I'm cutting the conversation short and not responding to anything you've said. You win the conversation. Congratulations. Have a nice day.
  10. Cloud_9 New Player

Satire noted, post dismissed.
  11. Cloud_9 New Player

It's not a bad thing. It becomes a bad thing when your judgment on what is a fair price becomes clouded by how much extra you can make by pushing the envelope.
  12. Flair Well-Known Player

I don't think most people are arguing to get the armories for free. Its more about expectations. A lot of MMO players, especially those of us who have been playing for years are conditioned to expect new content to be included within the subscriptions we are already paying each month. That isn't free.

Sony is very fond of their tag line "Free to play your way", but most of us are not playing this game free and I can't speak for anyone else, but microtransactions are not "my way" when it comes to how I want to spend my dollar. I'm not asking to be allowed to drop my subscription and then expect Sony to create new content and just hand it over to me. I am already paying $15 a month. I feel that the subscription fee should entitle me to benefits with new content that F2P and Premium do not get. I do realize this is my opinion and that Sony can choose to do what it wants with its pricing. I'm just stating that I am not happy about the armory price specifically, and the lack of purchasing flexibility as new things come out in general.

As a Legendary, I would have hoped to have my armories included in my subscription. Sony has a responsibility to make money for its shareholders. Giving Legendary players one or two armory consumables in our inventory so that the toons we play most often can switch back and forth between our 2 main roles for no extra cost is a reasonable compromise.
    • Like x 2
  13. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Yeah, it does tend to be easy to dismiss things that you disagree with. The harder part is actually considering someone else's point of view. But that might be more difficult for others.
    • Like x 1
  14. Solmes202 Loyal Player

In any business this is a judgement call. Unfortunately we don't know all of the factors that go into SOE pricing. It is never as simple as " it costs A is we charge B". Some items from any business are sold for little to o profit or even at a loss. These are loss leaders to entice customers in the door. The cost of loss leaders is made up for and rolled into the profit models of other products. For instance, most restaurants actually lose money when you order lobster. BUT since they charge $6 a glass for wine that costs a buck a pour it all works out.

Long story short...we don't KNOW whether or not SOE is pushing the profit envelope. They DO give away a lot of content free though. Are there any other MMOS that give away more? Not sure but it would be interesting to compare.
  15. Jamie New Player

The difference is that his wife would kick his butt if he didn't buy them for her.
    • Like x 2
  16. Valsmurf Loyal Player

I have read quite a bunch of your posts, this is by far the best one you've ever written. Well said!!! :D
    • Like x 2
  17. Swamarian Committed Player

"Outside the time it took to develop." Assume that it took a couple of developers 6 months of coding, the first armory cost (at the low end) $100,000 to make. If we can find someone to give SOE $100,000 for an armory, I bet that we could lower the price for everyone else down to $.50. ('Cause the cost of the rest of them is pennies for storage, if that.)
  18. ZEN1 New Player

so when is game update 33 coming out dont know becuase i cant play during week
  19. Cloud_9 New Player

Ok, for the sake of argument, let's say it cost them $2,000 to make Armories. Again, this is for the sake of argument. Now, SOE is paying a monthly fee for keeping things on the PSN. For the she of argument, we'll say it's $100 a month just to have Armories up. That's $2000 down with a $100 monthly upkeep. At $6 a pop, they only have to sell 17 Armories to make up for the monthly cost of selling as many Armories as they please. Then, every armory after that each month goes to the cost of making Armories, which would be 334 Armories. After that, and keeping up the 17 sales a month, everything is profit. That's why digital goods are such a lucrative business.
  20. Jamie New Player

Thanks! I found it pathetic that there were 15 pages on this thread and I was on page 14. 1 pst was openly an insult, another post qouted another open insult, and I tried to like a post but couldn't. I tried to go to page 15 and it brought me back to page 14 with several posts missing.

There are many things that I would like to see changed in this game. What this week has tought me is that the dev's will listen if we speak as a group, clearly say what we want, and be respectful about it. Will we get everything we want? Heck no!!! But we will get a lot more of what we want a lot quicker. I know when I was in customer service if you were friendly to me I would do the best I could to help you out. If you abusive then certain specials that could make things better / cheaper for you were "overlooked". I even explaind to my manager why I refused to offer the special and my manager backed my decision. Every one in a while you see a post or 2 where Mepps goes off on someone and all I can say is that I don't blame him.

I would like to personally thank all of the members of SOE that take time to read and respond to our comments. I don't always agree with SOE's decisions and know that you have to tow the company line and support those decisions. I hope that in the future we (the community) can maintain a respectful discussion about what we do not like and that you can give us insight into why that particular decision was made.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.