Update on Armories

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Captain Liberty, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miggly Committed Player

This is very cool.
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

I think I see the important bit you glossed over. This is a major update with considerable man-hours behind it, from concept, design, coding, support...it's only natural they want some return on that. It's a business. Why do people keep ignoring that?

You state the price point should be $5...if you buy in bulk, it could even be $4. This seems like a reasonable compromise.

You could also be a savvy consumer and buy an SOE card from Wal-Mart, get 2000 SC for $15. This brings the actual outlay even further down. Or, wait until there is a SC sale. Hell, combine the two. Buy a card for $15, get 4000 on double SC days. You could get an 8-pack and still have 800SC left over. I know, I know...it isn't instant gratification. That's why you pay the impatient tax of $6 per.
    • Like x 1
  3. Cloud_9 New Player

Not a very good analogy, to be honest. Horse riding isn't a very common thing in video games. Not rare, but not common. However, loadout swapping IS a common thing in MMOs. This is a common feature that we are being charged for. I love this game, but I don't support toxic suggestions by the development team. They are human, and are prone to mistakes. Even worse, they are a company, ruled over by a desire to make money. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but it's easy for anyone to lose themselves in the pursuit of more money. So it's or job to remind them when they've overstepped, a job made difficult by brown-nosers. When people blindly say yes, it allows companies to get away with horrible ideas.
  4. Solmes202 Loyal Player

The way I see it there is no "should" here regarding the number of armories. They are selling an item. We can buy it or not. I could say whe I buy a new car that they "should" give me a free year of gasoline too. But I would never get a new car if I did.
    • Like x 1
  5. Jamie New Player

Why are you brining in political discourse to the discussion? This will bring nothing good to this topic.

Most of the items in the marketplace are not game changing. Legends can be argued as game changing but Legends is a very small portion of this game. :( I waited until a sale before I bought Hal Jordan. I only had to fight as Robin with 1 toon so I felt $5 was worth it.

We stood together when we thought that the price was ridiculous. Most of us are now willing to live wit the price. I believe that most people have multiple toons and were willing to pay $5 per armory so 4 for $20 is what the majority wanted. Legendary members have to save up 4 months to get this with out spending anything extra. If you catch a sale you will get the armories even cheaper.

You actually paid $7 for a season of Walking Dead and you are complaining about $6 armories? I like Walking Dead don't get me wrong but I'm pretty sure I can see all the episodes on Netflix for about the same price plus I get to watch a lot more stuff. Since I am not a person that likes to watch reruns so I find $7 for it to be way too much. An intelligent person always decides if something has sufficient value before buying it. Since we all have different beliefs on what things are worth companies (like SOE) have to decide what their target market is willing to pay. We strongly said no to $8 and SOE responding by saying how about $6. Most of us saying that we will accept it but still think the price is a little high. If they would have come back with $7 I think most of us would said how about no.

Right now the majority find the pricing acceptable and those that don't can wait for a sale or not buy them at all. If SOE chooses to exclude armories from sales events we will remember it the next time they offer us something. I wish that SOE would have stuck with the theme of trying to make the game more alt friendly but the community didn't seem to really care about that as a whole. Maybe next time.
    • Like x 2
  6. Solmes202 Loyal Player

Since when is a desire to make money morally reprehensible? SOE has never claimed to be a non profit organization. Their first priority must be to make a profit, or there is no SOE. Hopefully they drive profits through good product. I believe that on balance DCUO is a very good product.
    • Like x 2
  7. Cloud_9 New Player

1. I didn't ignore it, I touched on it when I pointed out that it costs them nothing after the development time. Nothing. For the rest of the game. It's done, and they'll be making money on it from now until closing day, without any extra cost to them. It's the magic of digital goods.

2. What if I want just one or two? Or three? I can't equip five (counting the freebie, that is), so buying the four pack makes little sense.

3. Like over 70% of the community, I play on the PlayStation server. SC means supercharge to me, and I can't buy things with it ;)
  8. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Ah but riding animals is common. In FF I could ride chocobos. They provide basically the exact same benefit as riding my equine friend but...I have to "pay" something to do so. How is this fair? In one game I get a benefit for free, but in another I have to pay for it? Nintendo clearly cares more for its players, SOE doesn't, since they force the player to pay currency for something another company has decided should be free.

EDIT: I'm using satire btw in case that wasn't clear.
  9. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Wow. Simply unbelievable. So you think SOE reached into Felix the Cat's bag of tricks and found the code for the armories or do you think someone or a group of people actually had to design an idea, develop a line of code, input it, run it through a battery of tests to make sure it works, etc? And all of those who created it are donating their time? My God, the lack of a business aptitude or the utter ignorance on how an economy works really boggles the mind. I mean, what in the world are they teaching in schools anymore?
    • Like x 1
  10. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Based on what you're saying here I believe it is you who needs to figure out what bait and switch means.
    • Like x 1
  11. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

I see people on horses in Age of Conan all the time.
    • Like x 1
  12. Hraesvelg Always Right

1). I would suggest never looking into patent and copyright law. Your head would explode.

2). Sometimes them's the breaks. I'd like a Ferrari for about twenty grand, but most places don't allow you to set your own price point. I think this is going to have to go into the "You can't please everybody" file. For those that think $5 is ideal, I can't see that holding them back from dropping the extra buck if all they need is a single. If a $1 difference is a deciding factor...yikes. I don't have the highest paying job in the world, but I can swing an extra buck. For every person that says, "Yes, it should be $5..." there will suddenly be someone saying, "No, it should be $4..." all the way down.

3). I'm sorry you're not part of the glorious PC master race. I usually assume that people that can string together sentences would pick the obviously superior system. I'm not overly familiar with how the console serfs live. (Yes, yes, this is tongue-in-cheek...)
    • Like x 2
  13. thelostczarnian New Player

actually everyone wins because we got a fair price and dcuo will sell a gazillion of these :)
    • Like x 1
  14. thelostczarnian New Player

get the reasonably priced 4 pack and you covered for 2 toons
  15. Ikyotojin2 New Player

i look at it as "i get all the dlc's for one price AND some free stuff? SIGN ME UP" did i miss something?
  16. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

To be fair, they keep ignoring it because most people simply don't know better. You'd be surprised how many people have zero idea on how a business is run. They take what someone tells them and that someone is more than likely someone who also has no business sense, and take what they say as gospel. Politicians are notorious for this. Most of them are usually lawyers who've never run a lemonade stand let alone a business. I heard something on the radio the other day that was the greatest example of how a business is run and how it affects the economy and it's called I, Pencil. It's a wonderful read and unless you are willing to learn, you're not going to get anything out of it but it gives you an idea of how complex and how many people are involved in the making of a simple pencil. Here is Mr. Read's essay: http://www.econlib.org/library/Essays/rdPncl1.html This is not dissimilar to creating this game.
    • Like x 1
  17. Jamie New Player

I find this hard to believe since the biggest complaint I heard that armories address is respec'ing. This is the main purpose of the armories. Swapping gear was a minor inconvenience at best since you could easily do it in an insatnce in a matter of seconds. Like Quantum Edge asked, do you know what a bait and switch is? This has nothing in common with one.
    • Like x 1
  18. Prodigy Progeny Dedicated Player

Good news every1 McDonalds is now selling condiments/toppings for the price of their sandwiches. Still not getting how just buying 2 armories are worth more than an entire DLC of content...oh well glad the rest of u are willing to swallow it
    • Like x 2
  19. thelostczarnian New Player

some ppl are never satisfied. dude the highest pack before went for 4 bucks a pop when you break it down. diference is that you only need to buy eight to get that price point and not 15 like before
  20. thelostczarnian New Player

i shall buy a 4 pack ;)
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.