Turkeys of the sea ( a short rant )

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TechWarrior0329, Jan 20, 2019.

1. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

Can't Handle? Can or Cannot handle it is not the issue. "Should not have to handle" is the issue.

Griefing is a form of harassment. Let's apply your logic to another form of harassment: Sexual Harassment.

Should I never play an online game ever... because someone might choose to sexually harass me? Is it my fault for that harassment? Or is it the harassers' fault? If I get sexually harassed, does that mean I should not be online? Is it me that should be penalized because of someone else's lack of etiquette/ common courtesy?

Now let's go back to the Griefing. Those hoodlums were very specifically out to ruin someone else's fun, whether it was through killing that player, making that players' mission harder, or even deliberately forcing that player to take extra steps. Who is at fault? The hoodlums for being jerks, or the player just doing his/her mission? Who should be penalized? If this happened in 'real life'... who is in the right and who is in the wrong?

Before you answer that last question... I want you to remember something. Online gaming is Real Life. The person playing the game is a real, live, living, breathing person... so are the people doing the harassing. It's real. Not some 'imaginary fake world'. Are you condoning that harassment? I, myself, do not... and never will.
  2. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

..uumm.. before peeps get the wrong Idea...

I am not perfect, I'm not an idealist, or a 'goody little two shoes". I have been guilty of a number of things whilst playing video games, both online, and offline.

I remember a time, along time ago, that this group of people and I used to do PvP in a game (that is no longer online) and we were all but unstoppable. We were accused of cheating, of using glitches, using hacks... you name it. Peeps used to complain about us all the time to the devs. To say that we were hated would be an understatement. Part of what made us so hated was our 'victory celebrations' after beating others. Back then, my favorite victory celebration move was something called a Teabag. If you aren't sure of what that is.... I'm not telling you. It's funny to the person doing it, but not funny to the person receiving it.

Apparently, Teabag-ing was against the Terms of Service. Not the direct word, but the overall intent. The devs gave me a warning... I ignored it, and got a ban. A permanent ban.

There was something to be learned from that experience. Well, a couple things, actually... but i'll hit just the main one. The Terms of Service isn't a joke. It is there for a reason.

"griefing" is against the ToS here in DCUO... and that is in there for a reason.
    • Like x 2
  3. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

........I almost wanna ask what game...... just cuz it sounds way familiar.
  4. Knarlydude Loyal Player

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Turkeys sure can be ornery. :eek:
  5. tukuan Devoted Player

I've seen this happen from time to time. Just swim high enough over the pen and drop the ball. Easy enough.
  6. QuantumFlange Active Player

So you went from people are putting a giant lobster in my way to sexual harassment... I’m not sure I follow your logic.
    • Like x 1
  7. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I just figured I'd point out that this thread is two pages long and the ONLY person that supports your opinion is YOU. In fact two others, besides me, have contradicted what you post.

So what you suggest is that anyone should be able to do ANYTHING they please in game and everybody else is just supposed to deal with it? As has already been pointed out to you.. What those three jerks were doing is by definition grieving which is a TOS violation. The problem is we all know that the /report feature IN GAME is all but hopeless and those three would have been long gone before anyone showed up to deal with them. The ticket process involves accessing the web site and filing a report. NOW.. that may have resulted in those three getting a ban but would have done absolutely nothing to stop them from ac ting like 9 year olds that were bored and decided to see how much mischief they could get into. IN other words no help for the players left to deal with the situation they created.

YOU seem to think there is nothing at all wrong with them violating TOS and making the game a nightmare. Would you be so quick to dismiss the TOS violation if it kept you from completing a mission? And before you even bother. I KNOW.. YOU"D JUST USE A SHIELD.

I have a better idea Let's try convincing the DEV team that creating situations like this ticks players off.. and since we want those players to stay in game and spend money MAYBE it would be a better idea not to create those type of situation to begin with?
  8. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Harassment is harassment. Plain & simple. Its wrong no matter what you want to call it.
    • Like x 2
  9. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I will add. Next time, make sure that you record /report and fill out a support ticket on these Sea Turkeys.
  10. QuantumFlange Active Player

Well hey, at least you didn’t overreact and pen an epic saga about your tribulation! Always look on the bright side.
  11. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

Having the Hulk in the same spot as a daily mission was a dumb idea to begin with
    • Like x 2
  12. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

That which is play to the cat, is death to the mouse. Ever been the mouse?
  13. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

I'm getting old... my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be. There is an old saying by someone famous, it goes a little something like this:

If you claim neutrality, you have actually claimed the side of the oppressor. If an elephant is standing on a mouse's tail and you claim neutrality, the mouse does not appreciate your stance... but the elephant does.

Again, I forget the person that said the above... but this situation and that saying kind of fit together, don't they? Here's some hoodlums acting up, thinking it's funny to make some one else's gaming experience tougher. It is 'griefing', a form of harassment. If you want to claim neutrality in this by saying "oh, just pop a shield" or "it's just kids being kids" you have chosen the hoodlums' side. You are making the victim think that it's somehow their own fault by suggesting that the victim should be doing something else... rather than the Hoodlums should be doing something else.

On a side note... my younger brother and I occasionally have philosophical debates. Never anything heated or argumentative, just some 'what if' scenarios. One of the things that comes up frequently is the concept of (prosperity and growth) versus (lack of nurturing/caring and cutting things down) and how it applies to peeps.

Far too often for my liking, I am reminded that all that it takes for "evil" to prosper is for "good" people to do nothing.

From a general standpoint, I try to do good rather than evil. How about you? Are you the type of person that would rather cut someone down, or help build them up? Or are you the type of person to just walk away and not do anything? By doing.....

nevermind. That's going nowhere.

I'll stick with me being me. You stick with whatever you being you is. I know that being nice to peeps makes me feel WAY better than being mean to them does. To me... being 'naughty' is funny and puts a smile on my face sometimes. But being "nice" is fun and puts a smile on my face all the time. Ultimately, at the end of the day... my conscience allows me to rest easy.
  14. The Blue Flame New Player

Three jerks "the TURKEYS OF THE SEAS"
    LOL
    • Like x 1
  15. QuantumFlange Active Player

I am taking their side... picking up some lobsters in balls and depositing them is boring and easy. Maybe they were trying to spice up the game a bit for other players? We have to consider all angles. Personally, I condone any effort made by other players to breathe life and challenge into the game, it’s this kind of camaradery that DC is so sorely missing. We’ve all mistakenly identified this as griefing and apparently sexual harassment when really these guys are out there sacrificing their own playing time to make our experiences that much richer. I salute them.
  16. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

Playing DPS is boring and easy. Maybe I should use god mode hack to one hit my teammates and compare kill count with the boss. Fun!
  17. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Hmmmm you know what that so called explanation reminds me of? Any time some one on here complains about an action some villain has taken.. we have all heard in a thousand times before.. but here.... "Hey I'm a villain. It's what I do!" To which I have called BS on numerous occasions. No one in those game is a HERO or a VILLAIN. We are all just players moving around a pile of pixels to complete some mission. They are TRYING to "spice" up the game? No they are not .. They are a group of bored jerks that think its more fun to create problems for other players than it is to play the game. Here's an idea why don't they just log the heck off and do some thing else.. Because believe me with some of the language coming out of a couple of the other players left dealing with the situation.. No one found it amusing and SPICY. I spent 20+ years in the ,military I KNOW what Comaraderie is and it has nothing to do with three idiots purposely making thing miserable for other players. How you arrive at this not being a TOS violation escapse me since the very first sentence in the rules of conduct is.. You may not harass or threaten other players (sexually, racially, or otherwise). AT this point I am beginning to wonder if you are spending so much time defending these players because you were one of them? Obviously you think they did nothing wrong. Strange because making a player that paid money to PLAY the game ... wait till you get tired of screwing things up sure seems like harassment to me. Despite your feeling that everything in game should be some mind boggling ordeal... clicking on a hatchling and depositing it in the pen no different than many other in game daily missions...

Hell I can visit the Doomed Metropolis zone and complete three of four daily missions that don't involve battling Doomsday without "technically" firing a shot... I guess you could call using the weapon provided to suck up the contaminated mist "firing a weapon" BUt the reality is unless you have joined the teams battling Hank Henshaw, Bizarro or Doomsday.. the only time anyone has to use their weapon or attck trays is to take out 12 Lexcorp troops.. Or the Star Labs one if your a villain. IF this game bores them , OR YOU, so much then go find another one.
  18. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

-snips-
    I broke that up into five separate points. I'll go through each point separately :)

1) Who said it's boring? I don't find it boring. It doesn't need to be spiced up, in my opinion. While we are on that.... What right do those 3 have to make that decision for someone else? Did the 4th person give their consent? The Original Poster of this thread made it pretty clear that consent was not given, that those 3 'turkeys of the sea' were making the game less enjoyable. Not "spicing it up" as you claim.
    2) All angles. Perfect. Then you admit that from one angle, their actions are wrong; so wrong that the action is bordering banning offense material. Which also means that part 5 (you saluting them) is an admission that you are saluting the wrong action.
    3)There are parts of this game that do not need more challenges. They do not need to be given more 'breathe of life' as you claim. It is very important that you realize that NO ONE has that right to force that change in the game other than the Devs. The second someone forces change into someone else's game, (for any reason, including breathing life or spicing it up) it's a form of harassment. Camaradery… as you spelled it... is not lacking in this game. The league and group of friends I have in this game provides more than enough camaraderie for us. Perhaps if the 'turkeys of the sea' feel it is missing... they could find some better friends to hang with? Short note: shenanigans and camaraderie are two different things.
    4)It is griefing. Those 'turkeys of the sea' are not enriching our gaming experience. They are, in fact, doing the opposite... since the Original Poster of this thread mentions the 'grief' that the OP had to endure because of those shenanigans. Grief does not make a game better, it makes it worse.
    5)I genuinely feel sorrow for you if you believe that actively harassing someone is worthy of salutation.

also... in the part 4)… I brought up sexual harassment, because not everyone knows what 'griefing' is; but most people have an idea of what 'sexual' is. regardless of which moniker it uses... the 'turkeys of the sea' were harassing.

Anyhooo… I smell coffee. Must mean my coffee is ready :)
    • Like x 2
  19. QuantumFlange Active Player

If you don’t like the way people are in this game, why don’t you quit and find a new one?

You guys are saltyyyyy
  20. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

Salty? as in... over reacting / upset over something that is little or nothing?

I said this before :
    That which is play to the cat, is death to the mouse.

Are you willing to explain to me what that saying (cat and mouse) means to you?