Trolls Are Becoming An Endangered Species On DCUOL

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Mathias Whister, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

It was a painful arc to become a solid controller, no guides or help, just trial and error. I wonder how many double or triple tickers are left out there.
    • Like x 1
  2. Necromonica Shade Well-Known Player

I love trolling and I feel like I'm pretty good. I do double tic as much as I can lol. Solo roles when the raids are new is ridiculous. Trying to keep a tank powered is one thing, but what gets me are the healers! I run with fantastic healers, but if there is only one, the power is gone. It's constant supercharges and colas to help one guy. But you can't lose the healer. I still try to debuff and get pick ups as I can, but if it's just me, maybe one of the 5 dps can handle all that.

Sorry, got off topic kinda. Yeah, good trolls are a dying breed. I don't need recognition for myself, but we do need to remember why trolls matter and maybe make them matter a bit more.
    • Like x 2
  3. Leafy Committed Player

I know I'm fantastic.
    • Like x 1
  4. lukelucky Devoted Player

Three reason trolls are less used
    Content is easy. Basic reason is if the overwhelming majority can not beat content less people to replay so rest assured easy mode not going anywhere. people will feel the need to add a 5th dps not a 2nd troll.

People are missbelieving more burns better and ok if the support roles conserve power as long as they can not deal with machanics f
    In hopes the burns that fast

People who run 5 dps.... solo trolling stinks. Can I do it? Effortlessly but since 2011ive trolled and never have I had an issue being right behind the dps in damage until t4 clippong/battery days and now that the community believes one troll needed
    • Like x 1
  5. lukelucky Devoted Player

5 dps indicates 2 issues. Contents to cream puff and the group does not understand trolls or give a damn about the support roles.

As a troll I should be directly under the dps yet often a solo trolls not. U need a 5th dps well u got a few scrubs pretending to be dps. 2 not 3 not 4 not 5 BUT 2 dps dropped nexus last boss prior to being strong enough to live through the raid. Duel glitch I know a, few who did it. 2 1,000 precision dps burnt down every boss b4 the enrage timer yet 4 often could not.

Run a second troll and stop babing dps wanna bees
    • Like x 1
  6. Mathias Whister New Player

I found most of your replies are most insightful, but some just don't seem to realize how profound a threat this is to the nature of this game. If you think trolls are going to be grouped because of their pick ups and debuffs, you haven't played this game much. We serious players all remember the Them. Div. disaster where healers could not get gear. Unless the support roles start speaking out and demanding the game designers stop making roles and content that exclude and disrespect u, this will become another pinball mindless damage game with no reason for teamwork at all. Lets face it burners are a dime a dozen (i don't mean truly great ones) but we all know the frustration of waiting for trolls, tanks and healers...and then getting bad ones. The lower content has been buffed to the point where new players no longer have to learn to use support roles, so no wonder we find so many 130 plus players who don't know their roles. Just blaming the community as some do is a huge cop out, the designers need to stop bowing to the people who want to take the beautiful complexity out of our game...its a massive online game, not Super Mario.
    • Like x 1
  7. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Welcome to the forums Mathais, I thought you and Shiver quit. In any event support roles should be treated better because they are in high demand but are the first to recieve blame if anything goes wrong. However we cannot blame the developers for how the community treats each other. If the leader of the group kicks you because he's a undergeared tank who never tanked BS before and keeps getting the group killed by tanking the second boss near the bombs then what can you do.
  8. VariableFire Loyal Player

Meh, about time trolls had a reality check. DPS may be the ones to whine if runs fail, but Trolls will whine about everyone else even if the run succeeds.
  9. xSOYx New Player

I dont think so..trolls will always be needed imo...even if damage role players have power back moves, they will always be a time where they will mess up their rotation ...here the troll comes to save the moment to stun the ads, throw p.o.t and recharge.
    • Like x 1
  10. Magg Redd Well-Known Player

I seriously hope that is sarcasm. Trollers don't get a lot of respect and always get the brown smelly end of the stick. The one troll people want to have in the run is supposed to lunge bosses/ads, work consoles, throw POT, throw recharge, throw debuffs, stun ads, do pick-ups...all this while also making sure we keep our hit counter up for our own power recharge, and weapon mastery combos to cut our power costs so we have power to give. And for whatever reason with 5 DPS's we also have to listen that the burn was not fast enough cause we did not put our a lot of damage....I don't want to spend 7 hours doing a Bombshell run, but is the point of the game to have fun, or to get through something as quick as we possibly can?

I don't blame the game or the dev, I blame the community, it seems 3/4 of the players are not here to have fun, but to be elitist scoreboard chasers. This whole 5-1-1-1 mentality we have is stupid, I even got kicked from a raid last week because of it. We were running the last boss in BS and our solo troll went down (and the DPS standing literally right next to him could not stop for 15 seconds to do a pick-up) so I swapped from DPS to Troll so our Tank and Healer would have power. Healer went down cause I was not able to get to him in time (I did not notice him down, so I will take some blame, but it helps when everyone is on chat so we know if someone's down), and we wound up wiping. Said they only wanted one troll and since my countdown timer was not over and I could not switch yet they kicked me.
    • Like x 2
  11. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Well stated.+1000
    • Like x 1
  12. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Wow, I hope you put them ALL on ignore.
    • Like x 2
  13. VariableFire Loyal Player

No, no it isn't. Every troll I run into these days is seemingly in favor of "DPS Universe Online," obsessed with telling other players how their roles work, usually incorrectly (the ones I hear dom=aggro from the most are trollers), and/or silent agreement with the others. I wasn't kidding when I said trolls will complain even about quick successful runs.

And now healers are starting to do that too. Freaking hilarious how one whined and left like the remainder of us wouldn't be able to finish the run without him and we ended up doing it faster.
  14. K17nite Terra New Player

easy fix to what seems your insurmountable problem dont take a troll into your raid, good luck
  15. VariableFire Loyal Player

Who said it was a raid, it usually happens in alerts. Alerts everyone is overgeared for but the troll is determined to play like an elite raid that everyone only has entry gear for.
  16. Mathias Whister New Player

To be sure Day Break is doing a much better job with this game than Sony ever did, and obviously I think DCUOL is a great game. Im only talking about the sum total effect of the current philosophy of advanced mechanics. The flaw in their reasoning is simple: if there is a problem with power usage and consumption, you address the problem by making the trolls more efficient at throwing power, don't make them less necessary. Same with healing and tanking. Don't ever make DPSs take less damage for example, make the healers and tanks more efficient. Advanced mechanics is really only needed in solo and perhaps duo content...in 4 and 8 player any problems should always be addressed by making the individual role more efficient. It would be just as bad to make trolls, healers and tanks do more damage, making DPSs less necessary. This unfortunate trend started with Rage tanks healing others than themselves. It irritates healers to this day for a tank to out heal them. Please preserve the complexity of the four roles in our game, stop crossing abilities.
    • Like x 1
  17. Magg Redd Well-Known Player

Then it seems you are running with scoreboard chasers or people who have been brainwashed by the scoreboard chasers. Cause I will leave if it ever became DPS Universe. While DPSing is fun, and I love blowing things up as much as the next guy, I would say it is usually a 70/30 split for me running Troll vs DPS. Besides the fact that we are overworked and underpaid, I enjoy trolling...a full blue bar is what I live for...heck, I run event horizon on my DPS load out, not for the shield, but so I can give power if needed. Plus it amuses me that I can stun an add, the group can stop for a dinner break, come back and the ad still be stunned.

I do dislike the whiners though, but they are not just trolls, I find every role complains about every other one.
  18. i_Eat_Damage New Player

As a troll i get offended if someone wants to run 2 trolls in anything other then Survival mode. I have dps'd bd a few times and end up going troll because most trolls rely on am's power back or just dont know how to be a good troll with pot n stuns, ever need a good troll on ps4 villains add iEatDamage
  19. i_Eat_Damage New Player

And i do agree good trolls do not get the credit they deserve but are always expected to do a large sum of the work, go hit that cog or get the pick ups theres 1 troll 4 to 5 dps, you the dos can go and do those things i got bars to watch lol
    • Like x 1
  20. Zlohsac Committed Player

I remember when I stumbled across this game on Steam back when T3 was the latest tier. I had never played an MMO before but thought i'd give it a try. For whatever reason I chose Mental and quickly learned that my role was to be this thing called a Controller. I had no clue what that meant but I went on my way with no idea as to how to be a 'Troller' as I saw it in the chat.

As many trolls know, you get blamed for just about EVERYTHING that goes wrong. It's just the way it is. It was a big shock after leveling to 30 when in duos the DPS would tell me variatons of, "you should quit this game and kill yourself". A bit extreme I might say. A few nice ones along the way told me about what PoT was and debuffing and how they worked. As many people know, the learning curve was pretty steep back then because people really did rely on you for power and if you didn't have the gear/mods and SP, you were seriously struggling, a downright nightmare. My most cringe worthy memory is going into DOX for the first time. That was the first and only time I felt like the game presented something that was impossible for me to do. The other troll and I, despite our best efforts, weren't coming anywhere near keeping the group powered along with trying to debuff the bosses...it was rather humbling.

Fast forward to today. Am I the best troll ever? No, not even close. But I know my role and it's been quite awhile since i've been blamed for a raid failing. But in all of my time in this game, it has been my experience that the DPS are the single most toxic part of a group. Let me clarify, the ones that ONLY DPS and do nothing else but pretend that they have this OP tank or healer or troll alt. If the burn is slow, it's the troll's fault for not giving enough power/not debuffing or the tank's fault for not having enough aggro. Trying to convince a DPS that it's their fault would be like trying to convince the world that the sky is falling. It's just not gonna happen. When the raid goes successfully, it's gg DPS, the support roles are just here to serve you. I realize that this all sounds like a bitter troller in search of gratitude, that couldn't be further from the truth. I couldn't care less about gratitude. Being a good troller is a lot like being a good offensive lineman in football, if you're doing your job, you go un noticed, but if you're not, good god you might as well be Osama Bin Laden. Public enemy #1.
    • Like x 1