Trolls Are Becoming An Endangered Species On DCUOL

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Mathias Whister, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Mathias Whister New Player

How many times lately have you been stuck with bad controllers who can't even throw POT lately? If the developers don't respect support roles, no one will. The current trend in DCUOL seems to be to minimize support roles in favor of mindless burning. By billing their two most iconic characters, Batman and Superman as support roles (Troll and Tank) DCUOL historically has emphasized the importance of the support role. With the disturbing trend that started with advanced mechanics, DCUOL has, of late, eroded burner's need for controllers. Atomic tanks now require no trolls, and they have indicated the AM will now be extend to both roles. Either this is a role based game or it is not. Those of us who value support roles need to speak out on this disturbing trend in all the forums, or soon there will be no more room for Batman and Superman in DCUOL.
    • Like x 1
  2. spack2k Steadfast Player

u are in the wrong forum this is not DCUOL
    • Like x 4
  3. Dack Man Level 30

ANd don't return power while in role. To the best of my understanding the only role that Will return power from the AM Is the troll role. Trolls will always be necessary.
  4. Dack Man Level 30

AM s stupid auto correct lol
  5. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

The more dpscentric this game the more cookie cutter it becomes
    • Like x 1
  6. Delta795 New Player

Wait...I thought they said that in Atomic preview it was not intended to have powerback mechanic in tank role.
    Please provide link for what you are describing

MeppsSr. Community Manager

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    To clear up one thing, there will not be a power back in tank role for Atomic. We had been testing a few different things, and made that call finally after the livestream.

• [IMG]

Mepps
    DCUO Community Manager
    @DCUO | Facebook | Twitch TV | YouTube | Contact Support
    • Like x 1
  7. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Combos will allow tanks to consume less power. That is not the same as power recovery. And, it comes with a high risk of being countered.

It sounds like the premise is that trolls are batteries. They are responsible for powering the group foremost, but the more that that one task can be minimized, the more they can focus on all the other things they have to do: debuff (maybe they can keep more than one debuff up, now), pickup (not just up to them, but their shields are designed to do it), and y'know, control (you know how much flak I get for tanking without emitters?)

I agree with you about people getting to the upper echelons of the endgame, still having no clue. But, I place the blame on a few things: people carrying other people through content (not just high cr's slumming it in lower content, also people dragging their buddy through content). The setting for manual mic switching has reinforced a culture of no one being in instance chat. People wanting to crush content and ignore mechanics. And, people just not taking the time to teach. I think it's sad that the aggro-and-dom myth has made a resurgence, and that I'm seeing the argument in UM.
    • Like x 4
  8. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

There's also a lack of knowledge on the other side, people don't know how to make the most of their troll.
    i.e:
    • As a troll, you appear and stun 5 enemies spread into two groups and instead of burning 1 by one fast, everyone goes everywhere, thus breaking the stun.
    • DPS races ahead, thus makes a weak stun that insta-breaks, thus rendering adds immune to CC.
    • Some people spam powers at the most unnecesary times, (i.e: healing when everyone is healthy), thus when the true need comes, troller is low on power.
    • In certain instances where pulls are beneficial if not needed, there's always that one premature-DPS that will cast his backup when the fight is just starting, thus rendering targets obstructed and forcing trolls and tanks to waste power fixing the situation.
    • Some people don't make use of their power return mechanics, mess them up and expect the troll to pop their SC just for them when the whole group is healthy on power.
    Personally, as a troll i do have some players i avoid running with because regardless of the mission they will make it a pain and devote themselves to pointing fingers even if this means they stop midfight just to type stuff (i.e: "I died because everyone else is doing things wrong" / "I have an alt who is made of awesome particles and would do better even if i'm doing bad the role that i'm actually supposed to be doing right now")
    • Like x 5
  9. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Atomic will still need trollers. The live stream they showed had a GM only power return device on. All powers will still need controllers.

Content is also being designed in mind with trying to get groups to see the need in having extra support roles(throne, UM, etc). Overall it's mostly a community issue as some players think that it'll help more to have extra burn(and finish content 3 mins quicker) or are used to finding crappy support role players.

The Dev's are also increasing Support Roles damage capabilities by allowing them to achieve AM damage in support stance(still no power return). Their sweeping through powers and changing this in updates. That should help with players who complain that having an extra tank, healer, troll slows the group down to much. Support roles still won't do the damage that DPS do but it should improve.

You are correct that their are far less support roles period. They definitely take the longest to find. There was a thread that the Dev's were using to communicate with players talking on this subject. In it they couldn't come to a conclusion that players wanted a 2222 experience. Everyone like's the ability to choose the make ups of their groups.

That's more of a community problem that kind of needs to be fixed by us rather than the Dev team.
    • Like x 1
  10. Red Jenni Loyal Player

I thought Atomic DID have power back, but not nearly as much as it did in love stream.
  11. Pults Loyal Player

It was removed and now some powers have just reduced powercost.
  12. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Uhm, everything is. The whole population dropped a massive amount due to various GUs
    • Like x 2
  13. MuTeDx Committed Player

No one ever says "hey great trolling" even when I have made DC way safer by stun locking everything and I'm the only one lunging the "varacious" (healing demon) and I'm the only one lunging the 2nd boss's power drain attack (even though the dps is right there throwing powers).

Trolls are expected to do way too much for none of the gratitude that comes with it. Heaven forbid you ask for a 2nd troll because "solo everything". 1 guy for PoT, debuffs, power dump, stuns, pulls, and you want them to do ALL the revives because "its the trolls job".

I quit trolling long ago but stuck with HL. 2days ago made an earth toon and im already 67cr. Tanks get thanks all the time so that's where I'll be until HL is buffed.
    • Like x 2
  14. Void The Oblivion Well-Known Player

I'm not good at social conventions. But when should we thank the party? Do we need to thank people on that fight Klarion event?, i have like 6 toons i have to do the event everyday, and i just leave instance as soon as possible.
  15. MuTeDx Committed Player

I do thank the party, a lot. But everyone is quick to call the troll the problem in a raid when there are many other factors bringing the team down.
    • Like x 1
  16. Veritech Loyal Player

Hey, great trolling. Keep up the good work :)
  17. Veritech Loyal Player

A quick 'ty' or 'gg' is not going to kill your alt spam time, and is a common courtesy that highlights that you aren't some self-centred dbag.
    • Like x 4
  18. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

I'm not a fan about the increased damage for support roles let's be real most groups now days run 5 dps and solo support if groups need the extra damage from a solo troller or healer then there's a big issue with the dps that needs to be looked at. If the devs aren't going to force 2-2-2-2 set up then give support roles better tools to do the job.
    • Like x 2
  19. Plasmanugget New Player

Not really suprised.
    Just came back from a long long break and never played intro troller mode before,did my homework,read guides etc etc but still you cant expect someone to be LEET when he has NEVER before done any content in troller mode.
    Ran a couple of queue's today and well lets just say i got 4 people on ignore,i mean its content under level 30,im level 22 at the moment and im still trying to hone my skills,even was polite enough to say this was my first troll heroe and well you know im still in need of much practice.

Only the elitist douches expect that everyone should be born with a DCUO guide under their arm and mad controller skills,yeah that aint happening,so deal with it.

But then again this is the sad story of every mmo out there,lack of healers and lack of tanks...and why is that? well we all know the answer right? Overeager Dps,stupid dps,moronic dps,weird dps,LEET wannabe dps and the list goes on and on,and then people wonder why healers/tanks/trollers/buffers never join public queues,well its just easier to form a group with your friends that wont yell,harrass or call your mother a garden variety street walker when you make a mistake.

Plasmanugget out.
    • Like x 2
  20. AberrantAngel Committed Player

I love trolling. Don't need a pat on the back to do it. But yes the quality of trolls is not the best right now. And I totally understand the op point of view.
    • Like x 2