Troll debuffs are upsetting some tanks

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Leonite, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Leonite Well-Known Player

I don't know about other trolls but gadget debuff powers have other effects like encase, stuns and knockdowns. In elite raids lately, tanks have been asking not to crowd-control adds and I understand this. As a power troll, the BOP comm link is perfect to avoid the side-effects but how about when buff trolling? Should I switch one or two troll gears to dps and lower my dominance?

Any suggestions please? Thanks!
  2. Henoshock Well-Known Player

I thought buff trolls wore full DPS gear (except maybe 1 or 2 pieces) with Dominance augments.
  3. Bipolar Diva Well-Known Player

Say no. Run the set-up that makes you happy.
    • Like x 3
  4. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

Buff Trolls are still Trolls running Troll gear for max Vit.

Idk the ins and outs of Gadgets, but please don't use the debuff that Encases, it gives adds immunity instantly. I believe it is also Gadeget's SC Generator, unfortunately.

Generally Target Lock Boss and let Rao debuff adds.

In hallways, let Tank pile them up, then apply def and atk debuff.

I personally hate when I'm Tanking without Lasso and Troll, especially Quantum, spam debuffs with heavy CC, giving adds immunity before I can pile them up in places like FGS.
  5. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Depends on the tank I guess. I have a friend that turns adds into ghosts while I’m tanking and I’m all for it. They aren’t hurting anyone while they’re ghosts. Works great in elite on the snipers since they can’t shoot anyone if they don’t have a gun lol. I’m the Superman fight, chances are the troll can change the adds giving me time to get to them and if there’s one behind the pole, the troll probably just saved the group since I have to get line of sight. The only thing I don’t like is a dom heavy troll using a pull which for this troll in particular, a pull heal debuff would be his only choice vs the ghost heal debuff.
    • Like x 1
  6. Grim931 Committed Player

Controllers should be able to control, stun, move, or encase adds at will. It's essentially part of the description of the role to begin with, and I think the main issue is that tanks can't overcome this. They should be able to, any tank power effect should be able to overpower a controller power, and the controller should still be strong enough to functionally be able to crowd control until this can happen.

I was so disappointed when I came back and they stripped/dumbed down the controller role to this level already. To me, I felt more involved with the role when I was able to do this. There was also a sense of power. Just being able to stun or root enemies for so long, so the team could focus on a boss or any other mechanic, really felt like how the role should play.
    • Like x 7
  7. BumblingB I got better.

This isn't because of gadgets or debuffing. It's because of encasement. All trolls that have an encasement power and minimum required Dom, will encase the non boss enemy. Which still shields the enemy, causes them to roll away from the tank, and depending on when they were encased, can cause the tank's taunt to expire before the enemy breaks out.

For gadgets, this is stasis field, which is the supercharge generator. Which is annoying, because if you want to produce SC quickly, you need to handle that. Which, the best way is to use an encasement breaking power, like Napalm Grenade.

Encasements being a problem is nothing new.
    • Like x 9
  8. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

After basically being pushed out of the troll roll by groups for being a power troll then going tank for about a year, ive been slowly rebuilding my troll arts so i can make a return as a buff troll. I love tanking with all my heart but the powers arent as cool to me as hardlight or mental. Drop the encasements though my man, nobody likes those
    • Like x 1
  9. Grim931 Committed Player

If encasements are essentially the main problem, why not give tank pulls or powers the ability to break them? Seems like that would be the most straightforward fix for this, and it would probably promote more synergy between roles.
    • Like x 2
  10. ColdFuzion Well-Known Player

When the adds are hard stunned the tank losses aggro ALSO when adds come out of the stun they have a few seconds of immunity against the tanks aggro. SO, when adds kill the group cause of the stuns guess who gets the blame?
  11. Zneeak Devoted Player

That SOUNDS like the right, most moral points-thing to say. However, YOUR happiness doesn't come before anyone else's in group content. Encasements have been known to cause issues, issues that in Elite-raids as mentioned especially, should probably be avoided.

If asked to not use it, when you're informed it causes specific issues, yet refusing to change it up... You're kind of ruining the fun for others.
    • Like x 4
  12. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

So is this a thread to get rid of trolls? And also to mention, cc got nerfed years ago and you can only cc them once and then they are immune. So whether the tank stuns them or trolls, that’s all you can do. I could use quantum lift and keep an ad in the air for a whole boss battle…now you stun them they hang for a second, break out, stun again, immune, end of story. It makes controllers completely useless in the term ‘controller’. They need to rename the role so it makes sense. Tanks already complained about this years ago and this is what we got.
    • Like x 3
  13. Plowed In Loyal Player

Run gauss grenade as your defense debuff instead of stasis field.
  14. NotImmortal New Player

Hello! The only debuff you should run here as gadgets is Gauss, because the CC from gauss does not give the ads a forced breakout and the tank can continue their CC rotation. I would avoid using Pdart or Sticky bomb since the damage debuff is not required since the tank will have them CCd always. If you need the harness to proc you can set the 3 debuffs on the boss and you will have a good uptime on the harness buff. Hope this helps!
  15. BumblingB I got better.

To be honest, it's probably limitation on the tech they have right now. This was brought up during the stats revamp because they moved the SC generator to Stasis Field from Decoy, and their response was to give powers that break our own encasements. IE, Napalm Grenade.

In general, just avoid using Stasis Field. If you need a defense debuff, use Gauss Grenade. Unfortunately, you can't use the supercharge generator unless you want to start using Napalm Grenade in your rotation. (Stasis CLIP Defib > Napalm)
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No this is a thread to complain about encasements.
    • Like x 3
  17. Grim931 Committed Player

I could see it being a limitation if that wasn't already a part of an already existing power. I don't want to pretend to understand the coding or limitations in this game, but it seems less like a limitation issue and more like a they don't know how to reproduce it issue to me.

I'm not trying to be negative, I work with excel sheets and trying to figure out what the person was trying to accomplish before me is a nightmare on its own. So I can't begin to comprehend the amount of code they have to sort through and fix or update. It would just be nice to look into, because that is a useful tool to have as a controller and for it to mostly hinder cooperative gameplay is ridiculous to think about.
    • Like x 1
  18. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

I only wear controller gear while in controller role and never put SPs or augments into dominance. I will pause debuffs when i see the tank gathering the npcs. If a tank is not gathering multiple mobs, I might begin the next mob by Horrific Visage (heal debuff/ghosts/terrify condition), Psychic Shock (defense debuff/terrified enemies take more damamge), Phantom Flames (damage debuff). If a random add jumps of the healer, I'll debuff that add until the healer moves or the add is stunned or turned into a ghost.

I pug, do not do elite content, pugs sometimes just don't move from danger (example: stand in gas AOE; stand where the npc's orbital strikes hits them; let an add beat them up, etc. I suspect they have lowered graphics? expect healer to heal through it? expect tank to pull the add? using a game controller is more difficult to make your character move than keyboard/shot @ PSN users)

meanwhile, it's fairly easy to get a sense of the pacing of the group. stop debuffs when necessary. it's ok.

I had Crykenisis in my loadout and tried to not use it most times. I'll replace it now. mmmm, with what? something else where terrified enemies take more damage, or deflect pain? hmmm. /ponder
  19. Yaiba Committed Player

Sadly you will have to mix troll/dps gear (elite dps gear + omnipotence gear) to avoid stunning adds by accidents, all your debuffs will give the adds immunity. Tanks have better stun rotation than controller so it's better let them do that.
  20. Leonite Well-Known Player

Wow, I wake up to lots of responses, great!

However, I must point out that I DO NOT run with encasement. This is not about encasement ,I just mentioned it as an example. My defense debuff is gauss (obviously) and it stuns not only the target but adds near the target as well. For damage output, dart and sticky bomb have AoE stuns and AoE knockdown side-effects, respectively. I do not run any healing debuff atm as a buff troll.

As others mentionoed, adds get immunity from cc after a while so tanks would rather be in control of when they get immunity if cc is part of their rotation.

Its sounds like trading a few troll gears for dps is the only solution so far. I haven't tried this so I don't know how much my vit goes down and whether its an overreaction to the tank issue. I guess I have to experiment with this to find out.

Thanks for the replies and keep them suggestions coming.