Trailblazing Guide to Fire

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Soulburn32, Feb 16, 2013.

1. L T Devoted Player

It's supposed to last 8 seconds
    In my testing it seemed quite a bit shorter though. You don't start from scratch when you build it back up again, so that helps
    • Like x 1
  2. Mr. Awesome Well-Known Player

imo my opinion fire soul active tanking is far inferior to turtle tanking. Especially considering the addition of immolation as a shield. I don't think, fire tanks have ever been more in charge of their own survivablity than post revamp. The shield helps ALOT with our own self heals.
  3. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

So when I block I lose the built up defense, but it comes back to the same point minus whatever expired from the time duration?

4. Korlick Loyal Player

i did a few runs doing Active vs Turtling.
    Active (Backdraft, Immolation, Burnout, Burning Det., Stoke F., Engulf): obviusly got more DPS, more Damage-In, more Power-In, more Healing-in and Healing-out.
    Turtling (Backdraft, Enflame, Immolation, Burnout, Engulf, Hard Ligh Shield): less DPS, less Damage-in, less Power-In, less Healings.

During the instances, i didnt notice much difference between one and another. With both styles, at some point i felt really solid, and sometimes my health went down really fast to like 70-80%.
    Also, while Turtling, at some points, had both shields on cooldown because they broke fast. But i still want to keep trying it, got a few tweaks to do: use Personal Dampering Field (as a 3rd shield), drop Enflame for Burning Det., and would like to try putting Stoke Flames instead of Burnout. Just to see how that goes.

Once you stop attacking, the buffed defense starts to drop bit by bit. You can see how it goes down in your Stats Tab.
    What you loose immediatly is the Healing-in Buff (Green Heart) below your Health and Power bars.
  5. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

I've been using:

backdraft, burning det, stoke flames, engulf, immolation, eternal flame

have the active tank mod in, and only CR148 I think, and have been able to solo bosses in duo's and haven't had much trouble staying alive.

the only thing I am curious about is if I am using the right focus or not. atm Im using hybrid.

the way I spec'd SP' was, 64 in resto, 63 in dom, took out the crits for healing, and put in 50 into might/power. BUT I am thinking of taking out some from might and power and putting them into resto just not sure to how much I should take out though, I was thinking around 30sp would be good enough to leave in might/power.
  6. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

I see no benefit in speccing dom at all outside of a slight advantage to shield strength. Not sure if using only 1 shield if it's not just better to go pure resto and health. Including mods

• Like x 1
  7. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

ok so if you had 218sp on a alt how would you spec them?

please include the focus as well. Atm Im hybrid focused as Im doing the active tanking style.
  8. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Healing Crits. Weapon. Movement inmates. Split the rest health resto. Dom based health buff is gone, it's just a straight 50% buff to total health. So dom only affects shield above minimum requirement, and self heals. You get more resto per point and resto has more weight in the healing formula than dom. Considering the healer provides most of your heals, I prioritize health. Works for me so far.

• Like x 2
  9. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I've been using exact same, and works like a charm.
  10. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Yeah, hybrid works great since you have to attack burning enemies to keep your fire soul aura up anyway. It's super easy to tank alerts with no troll to be honest as a fire tank in hybrid.
  11. L T Devoted Player

After the heal crits, I've spent one point in Dom, 100 in health, and the rest split between restoration and power.

It's likely not the best formula, but it's been working relatively well. I still haven't gone through the exercise of working out the heal vs shield math. In general its better to focus on one or the other though.
  12. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

I wrote my LO down on paper, b/c what I typed out above didnt seem right to me so below is what I have actually been using:

engulf
    backdraft
    burning det
    stoke flames
    burn out
    eternal flames

havent really had to use the SC so I may look to replace with another form of healing or breakout later if possible.

I also plan to try what you said as well as it makes sense, why allow tanks to be unstoppable with self heals that would prevent heals in alerts all over again.

So I'll try more health based with a dab of resto in the mix.

and then try it 50/50 split and then resto having more SP' and HP with less.
  13. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Immolation is a shield now. I use that instead of burn out. You lose the cc but it also inflicts burning and prevents alot of damage

14. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

ah ok so more burning PI the more healing you'll see or longer periods of healing rather, if you're rotating powers correctly anyways.
  15. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

That and the fact that the defense buff is tied to the hit counter on burning enemies

16. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

so pop immolate and attack and it'll pop out heals?

is it based off the dmg you do or the resto stat
  17. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

No. Attacking burning enemies doesn't heal you, it causes your defense to go up and you get 50% increases healing in while not blocking. Your self heals only come from backdraft stoke and bd

18. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

ah ok I see now. so for the active neck mod to know your active and to get the buff you must be attacking pretty much all the time then.

does the new pull not offer heals? I saw it set adds on fire.
  19. L T Devoted Player

No heals from engulf. But it's a fast, cheap way to set things on fire and has good CC. I often use it even on adds that are right next to me
    • Like x 2
  20. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

New pull does not heal but it does burn. Neck mod does not dictate whether or not you increase defence by attacking, that's a passive part of the power now called fire soul. Neck mod just increases your defense as long as you are not blocking. Fire soul requires a hit count on burnong enemies. I find you cannot attack mindlessly like atomic combos or jackhammer, you will still need to play the counter game to be effective.

I honestly feel they should increase the damage dealt by burning dots while in tank role but that's another discussion. Its alot harder for a fire tank to finish of eclipso after the team wipes than it is for the other tank powers. I can survive the fight alone for a long time but not doing enough damage to really end it. Took me 35 minutes to beat him when the team died while he had 1/4 health.

As far as active vs turtle survivability, turtle is better but not by much if you're playing smart and gaining counters regularly.

• Like x 1