Trailblazing Guide to Fire

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Soulburn32, Feb 16, 2013.

1. L T Devoted Player

In current PVP it doesn't matter where you put the mods. I'm thinking Health/Dom in all your slots is the best way to mod. It depends on your strategy I guess. If you have a good troller with you all the time, Healing may actually be better than Health with the current state of PVP since they've been cutting out the big one-shot bursts from PVP.

The PVP Tank section of this guide on page 1 is not up to date. In the PVE section I link to this post by JimsArcade that shows how to Mod for PVE in order to maximize your health. Since there are no affinities in PVP gear, things are more straightforward:
    After your tank bonuses:
    • A DOM/Health VII mod adds about 300 health and increases healing by about 20% of the base numbers on page 1 of the guide.
    • A Resto/Health VII mod adds about 200 health and increases healing by about 30% of base.
    • A Restoration VII mod increases healing by 40% of base.
    By "Base Healing" I mean healing with 0 Dom + 0 Restoration -- the Green numbers on page 1 of this guide. So Stoke Flames heals for a total of about 450 on average, and so popping in a Resto VII mod should add about 180 to the healing you get from that power.
    • Like x 1
  2. gemii Dedicated Player

Thank you, this was very helpful
  3. gemii Dedicated Player

How about this

prefab dominance Vl expert = 50 dominance

VS

prefab dominance & Health Vl = 25 Dominance 135 Health

What do i actually gain or lose with either one i take? i currently have the Dom/Health what are the benefits of taking the dominance expert with only dominance but no health? if i take the dominance expert it just increases my healing? but ill lose the health?
  4. gemii Dedicated Player

Oops double post*
  5. gemii Dedicated Player

Sorry for all the questions all i ever did before was dps so this is all new to me
  6. L T Devoted Player

Not a problem.

When you use a power in PVE:
    • Your health gets buffed by 1.6
    • you get 2.2 extra health for each point of Dominance (which is doubled in tank stance)
    So 25 dominance becomes 50 in tank stance, which will add 110 health when you use a power. And your 135 health get boosted to 216, so the total health you get (after using a power in tank stance) will be 326. The 50 Dominance will also add about 12% more base healing.

The Dominance mod will add 220 health when you use a power, and the +100 dominance will add 25% more base healing to your powers.

In PVP, I've just realized, things are different. I don't think the 1.6x health buff applies to PVP, and the health bonus for dominance is only 1.45 health per point of Dominance. I think Dominance is still doubled in tank stance in PVP, but I'm not 100% certain anymore. Dominance will still increase both your health and the strength of your heals though.

I haven't played PVP outside of Legends in a long while. In today's PVP, healing may actually be the way to go. In PVE you generally want to buff your health really high so you can't get one-shot. The way I understand things, you'll never be one-shot in a PVP arena these days, so you may be better off with pure dominance or even pure restoration. I really couldn't say.
    • Like x 1
  7. gemii Dedicated Player

yeah i ended up switching my dom/health mod with a pure dom mod it was a barely noticeable improvement in heals and i guess the increase in health was their too then again i im heavy speced resto with a few pure health mods so i cant really tell lol. just wanted to really know the difference with going Health/Dom vs pure dom
  8. Absolix Loyal Player

I would have to double check to be sure, but I believe that you can't actually reach the Dominance minimum for the Tank role with just gear. Because of this, it is actually better to not invest in Dominance since you won't actually reap any benefits from it until you get past the Dominance minimum. With Restoration and Health, you get the benefits immediately from investing in them.
  9. L T Devoted Player

There's a Dominance minimum in PVP?
  10. Absolix Loyal Player

Yep, for Tanks it is 1840

Edit: Just to clarify what I mean by Dominance minimum, the current stat boosting system looks at your stats and if any of them are below a certain value they get boosted up to that value. This is to help new players jump into arenas immediately without having to worry about gear, modding, and sp.
    • Like x 1
  11. L T Devoted Player

I posted this about building supercharge in another thread. I'm posting it again here as a tip and as a reminder to add it to the first page of the guide section.

Fire powers are more expensive to use than the other tank classes, and Fire Tanks have to block 70%-90% of the time or they tend not to live very long. Though none of the Devs have commented on this to my knowledge, I'm pretty sure that's why Fire's AM initially returned power in Tank stance (for essentially the same reasons that Nature's Bug Form gets it). It was fun while it lasted.

Here are some strategies for building Supercharge:
    • For Fire, Flame Cascade is expensive and has a long interrupt window. But it does strong damage when used within a few seconds of burning determination and builds supercharge really really fast.
    • Some weapons have a move that's designed to regenerate power. 2-handed's Doomspin. Dual Pistols' Full Auto. Staff's 1-tap/4-hold move (forget what that's called). Hand Blasters' pulse-beam. Bow's Arrow-Storm. Know your weapon and, when you get down to 1-2 adds or get a counter in the boss fight, use that move.
    • Some weapons have strong area crowd control moves. Staff and 2-Handed are my personal favorites, but I think Brawling and Shield have some good ones too. If you can get adds stunned or juggled or knocked down or all of the above, you can try to get in your power-building move.
    • You probably have to wait until you get a counter in to use either of these strategies (unless you're over-geared or down to just 1-2 adds). Always be on the look-out for when you have immunity and the extra mitigation that comes with it. If you see Grey numbers and you don't have a healer's shield on you, that means you got a counter in and have a couple of seconds to attack with relative safety.
    • Like x 1
  12. Pults Loyal Player

I'm against supercharge powers, I think the risk is not worth the reward plus I can put in enflame which will grant me 10% control resistance. I run with wildfire/lasso, backdraft, stoke flames, burning determination, burnout, enflame. As a former rage tank I can't imagine running with less than two breakouts (+breakout trinket for SM). Until SC isn't gained passively it's not worth the effort. (IMHO)
  13. L T Devoted Player

That's a more-than-fair point. You certainly don't need to run with a supercharge. My above post was strategies for building it if you do.

It's a lot of work to build supercharge. When it's available, Eternal Flame is a very good thing though.
  14. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Eternal flame allows another period out of block. While it's not needed to survive it is fun to hit the God mode button sometimes and act like a rage tank. Just make sure you turtle back up before it runs out.
  15. Cisco Sama Well-Known Player

In theory fire should outdps ice because of the solo might buff

How come ice is so much better?
  16. Mr. Awesome Well-Known Player

Instant damage vs Rev up damage. Ice AM finisher is a instant channel. Fire AM finisher have quasi cast times.
  17. L T Devoted Player

That's taken into account in testing. Fiery Weapon is actually required to do your highest sustained damage. A DOT, such as Enflame or Inferno, is also needed.
    • Like x 1
  18. Absolix Loyal Player

Just to add to what LT said, Ice also has a self buff that increases critical damage magnitude, which is actually better than the critical chance Fiery weapon gets since it will stack with crit chance group buffs while Fiery Weapon's crit chance buff won't stack with group buffs.
  19. Pults Loyal Player

In the last few days of boredom I've switched out some things. My loadout has two changes. Switched out inferno with wildfire and replaced WoP with Reignition (although I still have robotsidekick out sometimes). Wildfire has a much higher inital burst but the burning DoT doesn't last as long (8s vs 12s). Reignition in melee range (5m?) applies another burning DoT and it's a clippable ability which means I can clip Wildfire with FW and Reignition.
  20. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

Fire Tank Equipment Mods - T8 Update

With the arrival of a new tier also comes updated stat bonuses from gear and equipment mods. Not surprisingly, the recommended mods to maximize a Fire tank's health buff have not changed since the last update. To summarize, if you want to maximize the health buff while in tank stance, you would mod as follows:

Chest: Dominance & Health
    Legs: Health & Power or Restoration & Health
    Head: Might & Health or Precision & Health
    Shoulders: Might & Health or Precision & Health
    Hands: Dominance & Health
    Feet: Dominance & Health
    Waist: Dominance & Health
    Back: Dominance & Health
    Rings: Dominance & Health

Modding this way with VIII mods will now provide a Fire tank an additional 6,300.0 health (an increase of 829.2 vs T7 affinity bonuses + VII mods).

The calculations for all VIII mods and T8 tank gear are shown below. Please note: the "Stats" columns show the raw stat increases before the Fire tank buff, while the health bonus column shows the results after the buff.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 5