Top 30 Tips for New Players

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Oddpodd, Jul 28, 2019.

1. loupblanc Dedicated Player

You can solo that duo easily at minimum CR.

There is a healing barrel in that room with Shazam. And it respawns. People can use their soda. A dps can equip a shield (or even two) to prevent incoming damage. Premium and Legendary players have a supply drop for more health. F2P can either use more than 1 shield or use a heal (iff their powerset is healer).

A Nature DPS that just hit level 30 can be in Gorilla Form and not worry about Shazam fight, since Savage Growth in Gorilla Form does damage while also providing some minor heals.

The only thing about Shazam fight is the Orb mechanic. I had 1 newbie player the other day who kept throwing the Orb instead of smashing the Orb. Very very very irritating, since it meant that Shazam did big damage multiple times.
  2. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

Sounds like you are talking about the event version of the duo? I have never run it. A fresh level 30? newbie? I'm pretty sure you can solo the event version as dps.
    I'm talking about the end game version of the duo at minimum CR. Yes I was able to finish Shazam solo as a tank in the end game version, but I'm not sure you can solo that fight as a minimum CR dps unless you create a special load out with shields, heals, sidekick, etc.
  3. loupblanc Dedicated Player

From what I have seen of the Normal version of the JLD duo, its still soloable by a single DPS. Yes, one will need to use a shield or two to prevent incoming damage, and maybe use Personal Dampening Field consumables.

I don't think there is a single duo that can't be soloed by a single DPS at the minimum CR requirement.
  4. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Sorry, but that last line about dpsing being easy. C'mon, really? If it were that easy, everyone would be a great dps. That is far from being the case.

To the OP and for newer players. A better tip that just learning a role. Learn your power. Knowing how your power works, like where to stand, how powers works, etc.
    • Like x 1
  5. loupblanc Dedicated Player

DPSing competently is easy. Being a top tier DPS is a bit harder.

Being a competent support role (healer/tank/controller) takes a bit of game knowledge, but after that initial barrier, its not hard. Being a top tier support role player is a bit harder.

Hard was Pvp, note I am using past tense. Current iteration of Pvp is different.
  6. Brit Loyal Player

Being mediocre DPS is easier than being mediocre Support.

Being great DPS is harder than being almost anything (except perhaps being a Great Tank).

It really comes down to accountability. If a Healer stinks, people immediately notice it when they start dying. If a Tank stinks, people immediately notice it when they start dying. If a DPS stinks, there are times where things still run smoothly, with other people picking up the slack, and nobody notices until that scoreboard pops up. It is easier for a DPS to skate by while underperforming, because they have more teammates also assisting with their role, and when they fall short, provided the collective team is successful, sometimes they can float under the radar and go unnoticed. A bad tank or healer wiping everyone puts things on pause, but a bad DPS, provided the team is still successful, will usually not get more than a few rude comments, since stopping to kick and replace them loses more time than just dealing with it.

When it comes to the upper end of great performances, Healers and Controllers actually have it a bit easier than DPS. More of the responsibility gets shifted to the individual players in those high end Elites. The best Healers in the game cannot heal you through a one-shot that you refuse to block. So they reach that cap where they are doing the absolute best they can, and eventually if there are further failings, it's stuff out of their hands. With DPS? They can always squeeze just a little more damage out. Clipping and tweaking and moving, anything that is going to net them just a bit more damage, there is basically no ceiling. So being the best at DPS doesn't have that same throttling, making it always a chase to do a little bit more, a little bit better.

Being a great DPS is incredibly hard. Being an Okay Dps, well, there are times you can do that just by mashing your keyboard. All depends on the standards you hold yourself to.
    • Like x 1