Titans Is the Next Live-Action DC TV Show, But It Won't Be on TV

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DCUO Post, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Paint is expensive
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Cheaper than paying some nerd to digitally add it on their basement computer...
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Being that those are basically paparazzi photos, we have no idea what's going on for whatever they were filming at that time.

Most likely the scene called for them to blend in and not be noticed while out in the city.

But there is a good possibility that they will CGI on the skin colors of both BB and Starfire. Body paint may be cheaper but it is very time consuming to apply, remove and maintain and it is quite uncomfortable to have on for long periods of time.
  4. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Exactly! Heck, I've seen cosplayers who do a better job at dressing up as Raven in either in her hero costume or when she's dressing down
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  5. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Very nice cosplay. Stone’s a little large, but at least it’s there. :)

The bird’s far too small for a raven (it’s probably a crow), but at least it’s a Corvus. (Ravens are the largest of the family at 1.8-2.6 ft in length - they’re the size of a hawk!)
    • Like x 2
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That's the thing, Beastie boy can't hide his green skin, he is green all the time! Why do you think all the animals he turns into are green, when was the last time you saw a green elephant?

May be time consuming to apply, butt long gone are the days where the paint was toxic (any remember Buddy Ebsen as the Tin Man from "Wizard of Oz"? no, because he almost died from the paint they used), or did you think Mystique in the movies was CGI'd the whole time?
    • Like x 3
  7. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Well he himself doesn't have the ability to change his skin color (other than heavy makeup) but his team members possibly can, with magic or tech. In the photos both BB and Starfire have normal human skin colors, so its safe to say that there is a way to camouflage people (if that is what's going on there). But again we have no context for what's going on in those photos, there's no way of knowing even when in the characters lives that stuff is.

I wasn't talking about the paint being toxic, I was talking about the comfort of having what is basically a second skin on you and all the limitations that come with it. Very few actors that have had to wear that kind of makeup ever look back fondly on it. And like I said its very time consuming, Rebecca Roijm has said that the first test shoot of the Mystique paint took them 13 hours to do and over time they were able to get it down to 9 hours. Of course that was a full body thing which would take longer but it still takes hours for smaller areas to do properly for filming.

Oh yeah I know about Buddy Ebsen, that was really bad and the way they treated him at first was just as bad. Did you know the studio kept the reason for Buddy's departure such a secret they didn't even tell his replacement Jack Haley? They just quickly changed to a safer aluminum paste and moved on like nothing happened.
    • Like x 1
  8. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Looking around there are different reason why she has the chakra but it does look like she hasn't always had it. So they could be at a point before she gets it.

I would like to point out, I'm not happy having to give explanations/defend what those photos show, they are bad, really bad. But do to it being so out of context we need to pull back and wait for official stuff before we judge it.
    • Like x 1
  9. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Personally, what is up with Starfire's hair in those paparazzi photos? I have no problem with the actress whatsoever but Starfire's hair is just atrocious. Good lord...
    • Like x 2
  10. velvetsanity Loyal Player

If you go all the way back to the beginning (DC Comics Presents v1 #26 and New Teen Titans #1), she had it even then, for the reasons I previously stated (to help control her powers and limit Trigon’s influence over her). If it’s missing at any point, it’s because the artist forgot to include it (with the exceptions of the times she was evil/Dark Raven and her resurrection by Brother Blood for the purpose of marrying her - and that’s because he *ate* it (with the intent that doing so would give him control over her). The Titans recovered it for her, though.)

At one point, it also carried the souls of the Azarathians for a time after Trigon destroyed Azarath.
    • Like x 1
  11. MrMigraine Devoted Player

/nerdvoice on

Actually, we never see the jewel in question in DCCP #26, nor in the first three issues of NTT - and that's because we don't get to see her face until NTT #4. Until then, she's just shadowy eyes and shiny earrings under that hood. :)

/nerdvoice off

Nevertheless, there could be alternate-continuity reasons for its absence. The JL/TT animated movie has a plot-related origin for it, for instance. I do agree that it's an integral part of her look, though, so they'd be wise to give us some semblance of it during the first season.
    • Like x 2
  12. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

MrMigraine stated the flaw in your examples but that's not really important, because that was the full Raven character not the girl who becomes her, if you get what I mean.

While doing research on her for my responses here, only once did I see something say she was born with the gem (which is an odd thing) but other than that it seems she gets it at a later time in her life. So what we could be getting is an origin for her, she's just Rachel Roth at the start and becomes Raven, which could be what brings the team together. Now keep in mind the comics are only a source material and that TV and movies are a different continuity, they will have their own version of the character's stories.

But again we have absolutely no context with those photos. The actors look to be just hanging out, waiting for a shot to be setup, there's just no way of knowing what's what there.
  13. velvetsanity Loyal Player

No, she wasn’t born with it, but she had it before she ever appeared in the comics. As far as “getting an origin” and “she’s just Rachel Roth”...nope. Not unless she’s New52 Raven. Raven is actually her *real name*. “Rachel Roth” is an alias/“civilian identity/disguise” for her, chosen based on her mother’s original name from before she went to Azarath (which occurred while she was pregnant with Raven). Regarding origin, her origin is simple: “born this way”.
  14. velvetsanity Loyal Player

I’ll just point out that not seeing the chakra stone doesn’t count if it’s because you don’t see her face :D
  15. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I really hope it's just as most people say when the production photos were released and its basically Starfire's misinformed way of thinking human women dress as, which could serve as a funny scene. However, if it's not, then fans should start worrying because I am kind of getting Marvel's Inhumans vibes.

And as I stated before, cosplayers do a better job because we could have gotten this
    [IMG]

But instead we get this?
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

One reason Mystique's paintjob took so long, was because it wasn't a simply skin-colour change (like with Gammy in "GotG") butt they had to also make it look like scales

So, what you are basically saying (won't go quite as far as saying 'defending'), is that a 'normal' girl use to hang out with a pair of aliens? Bet she also hung out with Dick, right? :rolleyes:
  17. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i dont remember exactly where it was said. it was either identity crisis or one of the countdowns to infinity crisis. round that time. i think it was blue beetle who described starfire as looking like she was carved out of living gold. wish they went with that.

fans sure are angry over these pictures. diop herself issued a press release (or is it just "tweets" these days...) stating this isnt starfires finished look. with the doom patrol, hawk and dove and red hood on the horizon the series seems to be taking inspiration from everything titans. could be an episode similar to how they used the mad mod or mother may eye from the cartoon series. could be stretching. could explain the shirley temple locks.

robin and hawk and dove looked to good to drop the ball on the rest of the team.

time will tell.
    • Like x 3
  18. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

[IMG]
    • Like x 5
  19. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Honestly, they should have used the CW characters. Speedy and Kid Flash would have been excellent additions instead of Hawk and Dove.
  20. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Oh come on! Why are you (and others) arguing with me?

All I'm trying to do is explain the possibilities of the MASSIVELY OUT OF CONTEXT photos we saw. I was simply trying to point out the sensible reasons for Raven's look, not debate what's written in the comics. Plus it does not matter what was or wasn't done in the comics, this is a TV (or whatever) show and they are going to do whatever backstories they want.
    • Like x 1