Time capsules suck now

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by OG ELITE, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Brit Loyal Player

/shrug. I am one of many who spends no physical money on time capsules, and greatly enjoys them as a result.

I run multiple accounts, so that I can free-stabilizer more than once daily. Whenever one of those extra accounts gets a rare in the Stabilizer, it only takes a $5 purchase to turn it premium and then I trade whatever the contents were over to may main.

I run a similar racket with Episode Currency. Did you know that if you just click the Quest guy who gives you the free mark, but you do it on all 15 of those useless alt slot characters, you end up getting enough Episode Currency to afford the Materials/Auras/Accessories purchased on an alt and traded to the main, without ever having to bother running a bunch of dailies and alerts and such. Or if you use the vault daily on every alt, and then take their free Source Marks over to the Quarks Vendor, you can end up netting over 3K Quarks per year towards the Last Chance Vendor.

Sometimes players miss out on really easy workaround where spending 10 minutes of gameplay could save them from spending a ton of money.
    • Like x 8
  2. Incenerater New Player

this is what ive been trying to tell my leaguemates for awhile glad to see im not the only alt accounter in the world lol
    • Like x 2
  3. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally think, that Time capsules are not that bad, if we would get 1 Stabilizer a day. On average you need about 100 Stabilizers/ Time capsules to get all thats in there (not counting the Ultra rare drop). So if we would get 1Stabilizer a day and got 100 days inbetween the launches of the Time capsules, its something worth going for and an achievable Goal for free users. The amount of free Stabilizers and the overwhelmingly low droprate of the Rare items is simply too low and just frustrating for 90% of all Players. (The other 10% got lucky with their first few capsules ;))

on a side note: i dont mind spending Money on the game even if its a bit more than average, but i would much rather like to support the dev's for nicely done work than for a Gambling mechanic…
    • Like x 1
  4. Brit Loyal Player

Exactly. Literally, you can open an infinite number of free accounts. Run the Stabilizers unlimited number of times daily for free. Unlock an unlimited number of time capsules (I save all my Stabilizers for Ressurgence to give me the 9/7 exchange rate). And then spend maybe $5 total when you get that really rare collection piece you want and you need to upgrade the account so that they can trade.

It is one of the major money scams that those Gold Farming websites use, except they run AFK bots in the stabilizer event waiting for us to carry them, and then they sell the rare items on the broker to soak up all our gold, and then sell our gold on their ToS breaking websites.

And it's something that every player can do, spending their time instead of real life money. You're only limited by your patience to log in and run a 60 second event over and over again.
  5. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By that Name you should be able to just buy it off the broker even before Opening the capsules :D
    Also, with 600$ spent you should've made more than enough Money by reselling items, to just buy it off the broker… unless you picked 10000Quarks o_O
    and even in that case you will get your Neon Chroma - but in approximately 2 years from now when they add these Time capsule rewards to Booster Gold. :)

(i get your Frustration but thats how Gambling works and you might be slightly addicted to it - watch out on that one please )
    • Like x 1
  6. Incenerater New Player

not only that but all that gear that your character doesn't really need can be bounced around as well, I save mine and give it out to leaguemates for both feats and cr jumping purposes, yeah I got stuff to make some money off of but id rather do straight trades for what I want these days
    • Like x 1
  7. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Honestly... if the styles were better id disagree, i like that ecery few months we get a new armor set that sometimes (often) is wayy different from the dlc

Im gonna say it again for the 500x

U dont have to have every feat.. people are spending big bucks on these and its crazy bc theres a chance dcuo doesnt even get a next gen port
    • Like x 1
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

As much as I can understand the frustration, all you paid for was a chance at getting a Neon Chroma. Nowhere was it guaranteed that opening a certain number of TCs or spending a certain amount of money was going to give you what you were looking for. They stated from the start that it was going to be the rare/ultra-rare drop this time around.

It's an important detail to remember when dealing with TCs.
    • Like x 1
  9. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Except the Devs finally got smart to this. Those vendors extras have a Feat which now can only be obtained from buying the actual piece from the Vendor. So while it can be transferred to your main, you'd have to pay Replay badges in order to get the Feat.
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Not really a problem if the player in question has a sub and doesn't use too many (if any) badges on content. It can be surprising how quick the RB can build up from a sub if you don't replay content too much, never mind how much some purchases (usually Booster Bundles for me) can pad that out even more.
    • Like x 1
  11. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Those "60 buck games" are no longer 60 bucks, most of them have micro transactions. They have expansion packs or other characters or extra goodies they offer. So basically you get a mostly incomplete game for 60 bucks.

But I do agree that I'm not a fan of time capsules. The idea sounded cool but in execution not so much. When they added feats to them, that when it went south. Then they added rare stuff and more and more rare stuff, they it spiraled out of control. They sold us on the idea it was suppose cool extra stuff we can get if we desired, but the feats makes it almost like we have to or need them.
    • Like x 1
  12. BƖack Dedicated Player

TCs always sucked, sence they came up with this bs i knew how this will end and this how they gonna manipulate the % on drops xd.
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That only goes so far, though, and usually if someone buys into any sort of "gotta have every feat" min/max kind of thinking in the first place.

Personally the feats are icing on the cake for any styles or extras that come from TCs. My first thought tends to be, "Would I use that on one of my characters?" If the answer is no, I'll leave it alone. And even with the potential of backfilling those feats through stuff like Resurgence TCs I'll usually leave them alone.

I've got a bunch of feats from TCs that will essentially be left on the table because I have no interest in the styles or items that come with those feats. The feats I've gained have no doubt been helpful, but I don't think they're essential and they aren't the reason I went after the styles/items to begin with.

It all depends on how a player approaches the game, really.
    • Like x 2
  14. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

not to mention that TimeCapsule "new styles" effectively becomes the only outlet for such things.
    • Like x 1
  15. nawanda Loyal Player

Asking when it is coming is not necessarily a statement of eager anticipation.

I’d like to know when the next one is coming for planning purposes, but I hope the answer is never.
    • Like x 1
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I don't know where people get their goofy information from but...Mepps has already stated there are no major upgrade plans for DCUO for the upcoming PS5 (nothing besides the monthly Game Updates and incremental graphical/style/UI enhancements), the system is backwards compatible which means all you would need to do is re-download the game into the new system, enter your account info, and continue where you left of.
    • Like x 1
  17. Irvynnge Loyal Player

you don't have to have that feat. that feat doesn't matter. it really really doesn't. you don't need that style. you might want it, you might want it real bad, but you don't need it. TCs are only as big a problem as you allow them to be.
    • Like x 4
  18. Brit Loyal Player

While I understand that you can buy a new game off the shelf at WalMart for $60, I would say in my experience, probably the past 20 new games I purchased as a console disc had so little content that I could beat them in a weekend. Fallout, Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Kingdom Hearts, etc. Aside from MMOs, the gaming companies don't really seem to be making many games these days that have those huge 999 hours of content, nor do they bother with ensuring any amount of Replay Value. Mostly it's just leaning on a First Person Shooter zombies mode with a few repetitive maps, and hoping that the players don't notice that their $60 game was over in an afternoon.

These days I almost never buy games. If I see something I want to play, I rent it from the Rebox and beat it in a day or two, because those $60 discs are not at all worth my $60. At least with cosmetics in an MMO, I continue playing the game and the character for years to come, so whatever I invest in isn't immediately wasted.
    • Like x 1
  19. Lugo Well-Known Player

Actually not everyone thinks like this and game devs know it. Loot boxes are gambling and they're specifically designed to get people hooked to opening them and spending money on them. It is no coincidence that all of these AAA games are bringing loot boxes onto their games. These game devs are exploiting the weaknesses of regular people to prop up their games because their games aren't good enough on their own.

This guy is a prime example:
    A lot of people on DCUO have probably dropped hundreds on these TCs as well, that's what loot boxes are made for. They are specifically made to find those few people who will get hooked on buying these things. And it isn't just DCUO and this isn't a new problem. Just saying "TCs are only as big a problem as you allow them to be" is ignorant and wrong and dismissive. Loot boxes are inherently a problem, inherently predatory and inherently exploitative by design.

That Jimquisition guy has a great video on loot boxes.
  20. DarkAya Dedicated Player

so many people spend $100 - $1000 on gambling everytime new TC comes out and yet some people are still wondering why nothing's done about drop rates, broker's 999 999 999 non sense, geeez, I guess those rich kids gonna keep the game alive killing it at the same time untill devs run out of ideas, I spend $3-5 on new TCs, I'm here for gameplay, not Vegas, don't care about those feats, not worth my hard-earned money ya hear me!
    • Like x 1