Time Capsules and their feats are here to stay.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lt Skymaster, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

*laughs*

Your facts aren't truly any more accurate than the other side. Just because someone purchases something does not mean they like it (you can argue that they haven't learned the sense to not buy it, but that's a different subject altogether).

I would like to remind both sides of this, why was the "rat race" changed? Folks weren't "happy" with open episodes but folks kept playing, they'd grumble about it being to easy and what not and still they'd play... whether they did it as premium or legendary they still did. Yet, the business model was changed because it wasn't considered "successful". No one can convince me that it was changed because of customer satisfaction, not anymore... Arguably (and here is where I'm going into non facts) you could state the case they tried to appease the "masses" because they found another way to make more money... and technically speaking that's smart business sense.

The problem right now is you have a situation where you're turning people off again, some people feel obligated to buy, others intend not too and some do it willingly... but if you listen in game (not the forums mind you) people are getting fed up. Problem is when folks get fed up is they draw the line. On the EU side I think the line might be already drawn to a degree because you can't find some of the rarer collections (so I've heard) so that means there is less in circulation, which means less people are buying.

Oh well that''s life I suppose.
    • Like x 1
  2. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

I do t understand how this game could get such negative feedback in so many areas of the game and yet continue going down the same path....that's why this game is and has gone so down hill.

Devs listen to the community for once on this subject or you can just continue on your path of destruction till the game goes under which probobly won't be to long at this rate.....
    • Like x 1
  3. Korlick Loyal Player

The problem is that they are listening to the comunity. The real voice is not what we say but what we do. If we say "buuu i hate this capsules" but then go and buy 100 stabilizers the first minute theyre released...then what are we really saying?
    • Like x 10
  4. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

Good points here. Completionists are not satisfied because grind and effort are not enough anymore. Stylists are not satisifed because there's no direct way to purchase styles. It's a lose-lose for both groups.
  5. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Ahem, no. The lore etc. is for things like time crapsules a total waste, but: Building a business model on gambling and preferring gamblers over other audiences is a smart move and a solid business model. As long as there is no "inside man" in your company and as long as you do not loan money to the gamblers yourself, gambling is winning for "the house". Gamblers are compulsive, often even addicted and/or mentally damaged, very often going to shut down every other aspect of their life first before stopping on the gamble. They are a solid base of income. As long as humanity tends to lazyness (which is genetically imprinted since "preserving energy" was always a good choice back then in and before stoneage when food was rarer and harder to come by) there will always be gamblers since every gamble is in essence asking life for a shortcut.

The only thing that could backfire is getting the gamblers hooked on Daybreak's games. "Forcing" the gamble on them was a good initial move, and the people that recognize the system behind it early and opt out was expected. Now they just have to sit out til those people leave, taking the negative feedback with them, leaving Daybreak with an ideal consumer group consisting of compulsive addicts. It just looks like the guys with the bad feedback are here to stay ;)

The only thing that will be DC at some point will be the themes and "prizes" form the boxes but: Apart from the DC-lore-paintjob on the game, it never was much DC anyway: very limited locations, some of them badly done, and basic mechanics already working against the lore (technically, heroes shouldn't loot anything at all ;)).

So yeah: from a quality point of view, it's downhill, but from a business point of view, it's a genius move, since addicts may complain about the warez but will still return to buy "moar" of it. And afterall, a pop is just a buck. Everyone can afford a buck. Or two. Or three.... ;)
  6. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

Again, let me make this clear.

I do not think DBG is flawless or is irreproachable.

I don't think ppl "like" the TCs. I only know that they are making stabilizers sell by the dozen.

I know ppl chase them for the feats primarily.

It is the player bases' fault that they continue to sell. Ppl keep buying them so DB is gonna keep selling them.

It's a shame, but that's where we are at. All of these things can be backed up by simple facts that are obvious to anyone paying attention. Im sorry if any of you disagree or are offended by these facts; the bad thing about facts is that they exist despite of emotions. And they will continue to be facts regardless of how you feel about them. No amount of fanaticism or rabid hatred will change any of it.
    • Like x 1
  7. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

8. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

This is pretty much where I'm at lol. You belly achers make me like the TCs that much more.
  9. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  10. DarkAya Dedicated Player

Yep, Devs are not the problem but the desperate community to get all feats asap.
    People should stop fooling themselves, creating threads to complain about money grabbing after RNG fail, pathetic, hypocritical and embarrassing. YOU PAY FOR STABILIZERS = YOU GIVE THE FEEDBACK.THEY HEAR. "Oh but I want that style so much!" Better stop dreaming and start making some in-game cash if you want it so much.
  11. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

This is actually the only line in your statement I cannot follow. Just a look at the broker reveals Daybreak actually has to sell stabilizers in metric tons even, but: how do you know about why other players are actually buying them?

Both the forums and the people you know in game are a limited, and not necessarily representative sample group, even combined. Especially given how low the amount of players with a "good" portion of SP is, how do you deem the main reason the stabilizers sell is the feats? And not the styles? And not an easy way to improve the ingame cash amount one has ("easy" for "rich" people or kids of them)?
    • Like x 1
  12. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

You're right. This is merely my perception. However, given that DB is never going to get rid of the feats in TCs, I believe that THEY think/have deduces that the main reason they sell is cause of the feats.

It's anecdotal evidence mixed with a bit of deduction, but still, it's a good guess.
  13. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Could also be just an additional incentive. They have the customers who want good/certain styles, they have the customers who like the little gamble, they have the customers who mainly make their ingame cash by directly or indirectly selling marketplace items on the broker - so why not give the couple power players who are very willing to spend money on the game anyway already an extra incentive to spend money on the TCs? The more parts of an audience a product can target, the better the changes for sales.

Let's just assume you're wrong for a second and go "the people who buy TCs for the feats are just 10% of the customers" - which is a totally blunt example not based on anything. But if I was in Daybreak's office of marketing, I wouldn't want to pass on that 10% for any reason. Same for just 5% or 35% - just a very meager portion of sales could lead to the "let's look at the sales and think about if we may lose more of our powerhouse players with this than we can make from the remaining ones"-line of thinking IMO.

So a valid conclussion would be "feats attached to TCs increases sales more than it costs them by dropped subscriptions", no matter if feats are reason number 1, 2 or 3 to buy them for players. That is: based on assuming the people involved are actually doing their job - failure is more often a reason for things to happen than people like to admit :D
  14. Harlequin Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  15. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

You talking like all the capsule item are equal in price or value. The rng is the problem, and if i was reading your dcuo post, i would believe it wasn't. The prices are literally 10$-200,000,000,. How is trading/sharing going to work?
  16. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Tori feels that if more people had the ability to trade the items on the broker it would cause the prices to fall because more people would be able to participate and *coughs* undercut (although Tori would have used more eloquent words I'm sure).

I understand where Tori is coming from and I appreciate the thought, but I doubt it would actually influence the market the way Tori does... mostly because I doubt their is enough good drops out there (of the rarest ones) to make the prices fall much even if money wasn't capped for some.
    • Like x 2
  17. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

No, I'm not saying that. The value of the items in Time Capsules you open is completely irrelevant, because that isn't the only way to make money in DCUO.

In fact, if you're depending entirely on your Time Capsule rewards (which will most likely be the common items found within), then it wouldn't surprise me at all if you're struggling.

The developers are doing everything they can to stimulate the economy, by introducing new items for us to trade with each other. But ultimately, their efforts are futile, because the real problems are caused by heavy restrictions imposed on the majority of the players, which prevent them from participating in the economy.

It should do in theory because the vast majority of players can't sell items on the Broker for more than 40k. So the chances of you seeing a rare collection piece, obtained by a non-subscriber/escrow pass user, listed on the broker is slim to none.

Everybody is opening Time Capsules, not just the minuscule portion of players who have access to their Escrow. With no restrictions enforced on the majority of players, who aren't paying to access their escrow, the number of rare collection pieces appearing on the broker would increase dramatically.

Then because sellers are fighting for those sales, they'll undercut each other, bring down the prices.
    • Like x 1
  18. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

The problem I have with your over all theory, mostly just relates to the time capsule items.

People, in this game (at least from my experience), often tend to end up being greedy (although for many different reasons). I don't think we would see an over all drop in price because if the cash cap was removed ann premiums had access to all money just like everyone else, I'm pretty sure they would do the best to get the most out of their rare item, like anyone else would.

I'm not saying I like or dislike the idea because at the end of the day I really don't think it would hurt the over all economy or make prices worse than they are.... so why not just go ahead and do it.
    • Like x 1
  19. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Yep, that might be a problem, but only if that greedy seller is able to come to an agreement with every other seller in the game, to list the items at the same, high price, agreeing not to undercut each other and ensure everyone gets the same amount of cash for their rare items.

The reason why that isn't likely to happen in DCUO is because literally anyone can obtain those rare collection pieces. The greedy players don't control the distribution of the rewards and there will always be someone who just wants the cash fast and undercuts the current prices on the Broker.
  20. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

I have to agree with you here.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.