This new update is a nightmare (clamping)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Civil, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Jason Martin Dedicated Player

This update is the solution. Want to be rewaded? Put in some effort.
  2. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

[IMG]

I'm making subtle cues, for inspiration, of an upcoming DLC.
    [IMG]
  3. shoegazer Well-Known Player

Why even have gear at this point?...why even have stats at all?...why don't they just make everyone the same level...and everything you fight the same level...you'll just fight different looking enemies that's all...they'll never have to adjust any numbers

For all intents and purposes that's what they're doing...if the whole game is clamped..you'll never be stronger in any tier of the game than the clamp allows...what miniscule stat gains from SP?.. Artifacts that max out?..c'mon...power growth is gone..might as well just make everyone the same level at this point

can't see how that might piss people off that have been playing a game that's been the exact opposite for a decade? All the time and effort they've put in just to be forced to be clamped to same clamp/stats as everyone else..

If the intent is to cater to new players..just remove it all..that's basically what this is anyway

If you're for the clamp that's basically what you're saying anyways..so **** it..just get rid of stats altogether..play the entire game at the same level
    • Like x 6
  4. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Ideally, we could choose to have our groups be clamped or not. There's rarely anything wrong with offering a choice.

I'm guessing, however, that that would likely mean having to retrofit each and every instance with two possible sets of stats for the NPCs and I can understand that that might be more intensive of programmer time than is practical.

But it would be nice if it were possible. Wouldn't it be weird if everyone got to be happy with their own preference catered to, whatever it may be?

I realize that this is the internet and thus I'm talking crazy, but I do that at times.
    • Like x 1
  5. Ntwydimela Active Player

I said it once I'll say it again the Toxicity of this community will be one of the reasons this experiment will fail. In every single thread related to this topic, there are passive-aggressive shots taken at people with a difference of opinion, hypocritical comments about who has the responsibility to teach new players while the advocates for teaching new players likely are as toxic in-game as they are on the boards. I have been in a raid with one such board big mouth and he/she was the highest CR on deck, the rest of us were at lvl now you would think after all of the dazzling logic they use on the boards that this player Quarterbacked us through the raid, quite the opposite after a few moments of spectating and inspecting us they left the instance without a word. You can't hold a respectful dialogue on any given topic on these boards without a reflex low brow insult, but yet the new dead run revamp is both fun and unifying! That is as delusional as saying YT is the cause of DCUOs' Toxic nature and not some of the very same people who are rude and arrogant in many of these threads.
    • Like x 6
  6. Neb153 Level 30

This is correct, so many people in this thread and elsewhere just come across as maniacs that you can't have a discussion with
  7. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

The balancing..... with additional systems over time..... becomes complicated. It's not Necessary*.

*GW2, a game released near DCUO. Used Pay to play without a sub and still does. Just beta tested a lack of DX9 game build. Has PvP modes (squads vs squads-Structured or realm vs realm-WvW or festival/holiday instances) and new content on the way. Utilizes Class Specializations to give new options of how to play a character class. Has a LFG Menu that is categorized. Used stat clamping since day one. Vert ranks is absurd over time*. *See bugs in DCUo for killing an npc too fast. well, you have to find a utube video to see it these days because they ended that. When i play, I never see gold selling bots in chat.

U haz good gameplay? [IMG] It's still an option. Like Tetris, Mahjong, or Solitaire.
    [IMG] BF2142 gameplay utilized CTF+TDM+levels of escalation to a next objective... oh, more BF but with soldiers launched in guided tubes from a mobile vehicle towards a flying HQ vehicle to land yourself on it and blow it up to win and WALKERS (tanks that walk).
    [IMG] No gameplay like it around today.
    [IMG] oh, well, that became GTA.
  8. Ntwydimela Active Player

Toxicity will always be a deterrent to progress of any kind, especially in a game where the "fun" of playing a superhero/villain is the Draw.
    • Like x 1
  9. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

"Toxicity" is a funny thing.

Toxic is forcing others to do what you want and expecting them to smile while they get screwed over.

This is a game (that quite a few of us pay for monthly) and not a job. Again it's not a job, it's supposed to be for fun. Demanding or expecting other people (that are paying for a game they play for fun) also be teachers, mentors, leaders, involved in communities, and also to happily see years of their hard earned progress disappear is not the behavior of the righteous good guy. That is the behavior of tyrants or "toxic people" if you prefer.

I read a lot of comments from people rightfully irritated by seeing their years of progress erased in one update and I get it because it's not hard to get and they should be upset. I can simultaneously agree that helping new players learn to play is a nice thing to do and still fully agree with it's not a a requirement nor should anyone be expected to do it let alone bullied for not spending their game time (the only down time some people have) on teaching others things everyone can learn with a simple search.

If stat clamping was a choice like dozens of other games a lot of this would be a non-issue. But here we are with it being forced.
    • Like x 4
  10. the solowing Steadfast Player

My queues were a hour+ long. How are you supposed to retain players when gearing up takes up to an hour waiting for a queue?
    • Like x 1
  11. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

[IMG] It was a decision made, long ago. GW2 released a year later and decided differently.
  12. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

My apologies but I don't understand what your question has to do with my comment. I may just be a bit slow here.
    Thanks
  13. Ntwydimela Active Player

I have previously stated that I am against stat clamping and 1 shotting bosses/adds/titanic trenton had nothing to do with it it. I think the dialogue between management and the community has been poor to start with, sycophants can't bridge that gap it has to be managment that engages their customer base. Recruiting customers to report toxic players will not heal or unite the community either and I don't work for free anyway. Teaching new players would not efficiently work because as has been previously stated everyone plays their own way and so going into any run where individual motives aren't known it is what it is, and the lack of tutorials is the failure of management not players. The toxicity is symbiotic to gameplay and casual player interactions.
    • Like x 5
  14. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

Nailed it.
    I agree with you. I don't get the expectation (often demand) that paying customers trying to enjoy a game they pay for are supposed to act as teachers, mentors, guides, and still cheer when ever a new update nerfs them and all they worked for, often for years. The toxic are those "sycophants" demanding we just love whatever crap we forced and that we do the company's job for them and then try to bully us in to it. Your not the bad guy for being critical of bad choices and updates and your certainly are not the bad guy for wanting to spend your down time after a hard days work playing your game and choosing not to teach people to lazy to do a simple search and then watch a video on how to play the game or beat the boss. the most toxic people I encounter are the ones dictating how we should feel and play.
    • Like x 4
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Acting as a teacher/mentor/guide for newer players is a pretty basic human thing to do and doing so helps build a stronger community, in terms of both player ability and bonds between players. No one says you HAVE to do it, but in the long run it's one of the better things a player can do in the game.

Besides, refusing to do so means that person more or less forfeits any sort of legitimate complaints about the poor ability/lack of knowledge in newer players.

As for the rest? There's a strong argument to be made that newer/non-endgame players have had to deal with the sometimes toxic attitudes of endgame players who would blitz through content without an apparent second thought for the players around them, basically forcing their gameplay on others. So I think you might be hard pressed among some players to find a whole lot of sympathy now that the tables have turned a bit.
    • Like x 1
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Personally I think Dimensional Ink are prepared to weather the storm here, they know there's going to be a small vocal minority on here raging up for a few weeks, after that they'll give up and just start playing or they won't. (I support the clamp by the way).

Looking at the steam stats though and I know they're only indicative, post launch there's actually been an increase in players so I highly doubt at this stage any alarm bells are going off, it's probably actually the opposite at the moment.

I think the bulk of players in game have already largely moved on, there's less and less chat in LFG/Trade each day. I think this will just dissipate in exactly the same way people adapting following stats revamp
  17. the solowing Steadfast Player

Been chain running Omnibus since the update to help fill the queues, currently 322.
    • Like x 1
  18. Proxystar #Perception

Haha, good on ya man. I have seen you on a bit, but I have about 10 characters I've been running so not always on my main ;)
    • Like x 1
  19. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I’m not raging, I’m just sad about about all the things I’ll never be able to finish now. :(
    • Like x 5
  20. Proxystar #Perception

Seriously 9001BPM, it often sounds to me like you cause your own frustrations by doing the wrong things. I ran those duos you talked about the other day and did not have the issues you experienced, what power are you and are you running a decent loadout, also what artifacts are you using? Are you still insisting on playing with dual pistols or whatever it was you used to do?

Sometimes 9001BPM you need to have two different builds, one you have when you know you need it to get content done effectively and efficiently and another you just goof around with. If that means you at times use a weapon or power you'd rather not, then so be it.
    • Like x 1