This isn't a question of what I'm not. This is a question of who I could be..Marvel's Captain Marvel

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Jul 25, 2016.

1. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone,
    [IMG]
    Just wanted to create a thread because after much speculation, it's official, actress Brie Larson has been presented to play Captain Marvel
    [IMG]

Here is an excerpt from Marvel's Comic Con panel about the future film

[IMG]

PS: The all new Marvel Studios has also changed the film title
    [IMG]
  2. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

If you told me twenty years ago that the Olsen-twins' younger sister was going to play Scarlet Witch one day, I would have laughed at you. When they said Ben Affleck was going to play Batman, I laughed at how ridiculous it was. And that young boy from Critters 3 growing up to be one of the most famous and most liked actors of our time? Absurd, yet look at Leondaro DeCaprio now... Not to mention Mr. Drunk-A-Lot from the 90s not only sobering up and becoming a well-loved actor again, but even playing - quite successfully so - Iron Man and pretty much single-handedly making superhero-movies popular?

In other words... I give up. Marvel and DC do what Marvel and DC wants, and they usually know a hell of a lot more about this than I do. They do make some rather weird choices that don't work at all (The Rock as Black Adam? Seriously?), but they do often make some weird choices that works really well.
    • Like x 1
  3. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

I think it's a great choice, but she needs to eat a lot of cheeseburgers.
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I'll take her over the Chloe chick. I'm not really familiar with Brie Larson acting wise but a friend said she's a very good actor and did well in Kickass.

I trust in the MCU though as it seems they know what they're doing when it comes to casting.

Edit: I goofed, she wasn't in Kickass, Chloe was. Still early for me :(
  5. Delta796th Loyal Player

The "real" Captain Marvel [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No, this is captain Marvel: [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. MidKnight Masquerade Dedicated Player

I remember reading about Kevin Smith really wanting Ronda Rousey to get the role.
    As far as I know, it was just based on look tho. I don't know what acting skills the UFC star has. (if any)

EDIT
    lol
    [IMG]

I'm not crazy about sports stars branching out to acting. I have no desire to watch any movie that has Rampage Jackson in it. The same way I would have no desire to watch Brad Pitt fight Forrest Griffin.

Had I been a fan of WWE or WWF (which ever it was) I probably would have skipped movies staring Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock. But I did not even know who he was tell The Scorpion King.
  8. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Rhonda was never a valid candidate. People who were suggesting Rhonda were truly only going by looks and think only of the characters super strength aspects and not that there's far more to her than that.

The Rock was there for both names of the company and if you had known him as a wrestler I don't think it would have mattered. Dwayne had a near flawless transition from wrestling to acting, he was very smart in what he chose to do and when to do them.
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Captain Marvel screenwriter Nicole Perlman recently on a podcast discussed her time in Marvel's Writers Program and the current development on Carol Danvers' MCU origin.

10. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Nah Marvel stole the "Captain Marvel" name from DC....Shazam will always be the true and original Captain Marvel to me and other diehard DC comic fans.
    • Like x 2
  11. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

I think the Rock has really established himself as a fine wrestler and actor. Hes obviously smart enough and knows what hes doing and what parts he should accept that fit him. I give him props for that. As a DC comics fan I think he will make a fine Black Adam.
  12. Ashrode Well-Known Player

And anyone with any sense would think DC stole the character having pestered the real creators for a decade with various law suits until they forced Fawcett to give up the character and pay "damages".
  13. Helderman Dedicated Player

After Spider-Bambi, nothing amazes me anymore.
  14. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Actually no they didn't.

DC didn't have the license to the Captain Marvel product until 1972 and didn't get full ownership/rights until 91.

Marvel Comics made and copy righted their Captain Marvel in 1967.

Basically National Comics Publications (now DC Comics) ran Fawcett Publications (Captain Marvel's creators) into the ground with lawsuits, because Cap was killing Superman in sales. Cap was discontinued in 1954 and somewhat forgotten, much to DC's pleasure.

Marvel came along and thought it would be a good idea to have a character with the company name and were smart to copy right it. Then DC in search for new ideas thought what about that Captain guy we killed off years ago.

So really it's DC's own fault that Marvel got the name.
  15. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Nevertheless he was far more successful and was the fan favorite before marvel made their rip off of the character. So yes maybe DC killed him off but to comic book fans he was was the true captain marvel...and marvel comics tried to capitalize on the name and make the comics book fans think it was the same character to carry over sales and popularity. So it would be kinda like if Marvel killed off Captain America and DC took the name and starred a superhero with a shield and a suit with blue in it.
  16. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

But the thing is Marvel didn't rip anything off, the two characters have nothing but a name in common.

Fawcett's Captain had been basically dead for over a decade by the time Marvel created theirs. Most of the readers of Fawcett's version were grown up and not reading comics anymore (back then comics were only for children), those that were reading comics when Marvel's version launched, most likely didn't even know about the original. Pretty much when DC brought the original back people thought he was a brand new creation.

Now of course Stan Lee would have known of the original but it is doubtful he was doing anything more than using the companies name for a new character.

Oh and DC already did that with Captain America but they called theirs Guardian.
  17. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned but I guess with all the recent big reveals from Comic Con, news for the Captain Marvel movie was somewhat eclipsed. Well, during the Marvel panel, they did also announce that Captain Marvel's big baddies will be the Skrulls.

[IMG]

Now before you say, aren't they part of Fox studios and the Fan4stic franchise? Well, James Gunn, director of Guardians of the Galaxy, addressed this by explaining that some specific Skrulls are at Fox but the Skrulls as a whole are co-owned, so Marvel has dibs. So does this mean a future possibility for Secret Invasion!?
    [IMG]
  18. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

The movie taking place in the 90s is a bit odd, mostly for her age. It will be interesting to see how they work that out, I would guess something to do with her powers or some kind of suspension (like Cap. America).

There are those bring up the "why hasn't she been mentioned before" line of course, which is amplified by Fury (with both of his eyes) being apart of it. That's a non issue for me, prequel types will always have that issue and is usually easily explained.

The Skrull ownership seems to be one of the most confusing of all the ownership issues but basically Marvel has duel rights to the Skrulls allowing them to use the race but not some of the specific characters.
  19. Goddesssilver Well-Known Player

I remember when captain marvel was a guy :confused:
  20. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Mar-vel died a few years ago and with some pushing form Captain America, Ms. Marvel/Carol Danvers reluctantly took up the mantle of Captain Marvel.

Yes it's a diversity thing but with Marvel's less blatant way with natural progression of characters.