The Winter Sale!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zneeak Devoted Player

So you're NOT actually shelling out hundreds of dollars on a Bundle? Now i'm worried for real. :eek::rolleyes::D
    • Like x 1
  2. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

I moved house so I can't afford made up things as much as i did anymore :)
    • Like x 1
  3. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

So I guess Baseball and Pokemon cards are gambling. Also things like the mystery boxes that companies like Funko puts out. You know, the ones where you might get something that you can sell on Ebay for Thousands, or you might get something that has a 1/5 chance. I guess restrictions need to be made on those too right? These are the same concept as a pack of baseball cards or pokemon cards, or anything like that. And people much younger than teenagers use Pokemon Cards.
    • Like x 1
  4. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

but but I gotta catch em all..........
    • Like x 1
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

The difference is that those RL items are governed by a real economy. If there is a 1 in 1000 chance of getting a rare card, and millions of cards are produced, there are likely no 'billionaires' who are scooping up all the ones listed out there to artificially drive up the price, further driving sales of the cards or whatever. Likely the real world billionaires didn't make their billions by counterfeiting money (ok...maybe a few). Also, most of those items are probably being purchased in person at a store and yeah, a good store owner who sees some kid come in every day with mommy's credit card buying $100 worth of card packs would likely either A) run out of stock, B) tell the kid he's going to have to talk to a parent before selling any more to him, or C) straight up narc on the kid to the parents. Purchase of electronic items is truely 'unlimited' with a CC and can go off the rails real REAL fast...even for grownups.

But yeah...at it's root definition, I'd say it's all gambling and there should be some sort of regulation.

The big difference in what's 'rare' today and what it should be is that today's 'rare' or 'special' is for the most part artificial...the companies can set the rarity in how many items are created. Unlike a rare baseball card or comic or collectible from years ago, where you had the same chance of getting a Babe Ruth vs Joe Shmoe...then later it would become 'rare' because either things would be lost, or one item would outshine the others by people wanting it. The only reason most people want today's 'rare' items is because the companies have told us to want them by making them limited or 'rare'. As soon as there was forced rarity in any of the above, and then high prices were attached to it, the whole practice became gambling. Now...I'm not opposed to gambling as a rule...I love Vegas and sometimes even pay the weekly 1$ idiot tax (you may call it lotto), but if it's marketed to kids there should be a few safeguards so companies can't take advantage of the stupid or innocent (or stupid).

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  6. Deadlyhit New Player

Lmao you could spend $100 on time capsules and walk away with absolutely nothing rare or am I wrong? With the “surprise mechanics”. After you’ve collected one piece of a rare collection those surprise mechanics should dwindle down to 1/12 to 2/12, 3/12 ect ect. The only the reason the broker is so bad with over pricing is because that reason solely. If people could get what they needed without the surprise mechanics then it wouldn’t in fact be gambling but when you spend money on something that involves chance it then becomes gambling.
  7. Captain1Dynamo Committed Player

Devs, one suggestion; when you put something on sale show what the usual price is. In other words it should look like:

20 Stabilizers MC 1800 1300 (or whatever the prices are)
    • Like x 1
  8. DCUO Addict Committed Player

I agree that this would be better. Luckily, the nice folks at DCUO Source Wall have us covered: https://www.dcuosourcewall.com/guides/winter-sale-2019
  9. Kestral Committed Player

I know you were being sarcastic. But yes those are also forms of Gambling and I would not mind seeing the practice disappearcompletely.
    • Like x 1
  10. Lick Of Frost Active Player

I'm so very glad you are starting to come around
  11. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

In my day I used to gamble on NFL and NBA games in middle school. It would be better if young people took interest in sports. And yes I gambled on Lakers Bulls 1991 Finals and lost.
  12. Reigning_Kaos Level 30

That's a whole lie! Are you in the devs pocket?! If it was JUST cosmetics in the time capsules then YES your analogy would have merit. But it doesn't, because there are feats in the game that's tied to these predatory gambling time capsules. And even if you say "hey I'll just wait for it to be available to be bought in the quarks vendor. I wonder, how many time capsules have to be opened to buy those feats?
    • Like x 3
  13. NotStanLee Well-Known Player

Last year's winter sale was exciting, two years ago was a great sale. Read the news archives. I was looking forward to subscribing again. Not even sure the $99 for 15000 marketplace cash is a real offer as its description says good until dec 31 2018. And with nothing much on sale to spend it on...i'll probably just wait and see what the summer sale looks like.

Maybe they'll have an aniversary sale to celebrate, in the meantime, I'll just wear my '1' cape all January, playing premium level and doing legends feats.
  14. GameOnGabeYT Well-Known Player

I thought after coming back and checking out the market place I would be happy to spend some good money on a sale but good to see I wasn’t the only one that found the current sales depressing.
  15. Gonadicles New Player

Hey Devs, Mepps, Daybreak, Anyone in charge: How about making that 15,000 $99 marketplace cash offer from last year available to everybody on every platform? As it stands, only PC players get to take advantage of last year's sale, and regardless of whether it's a glitch or not, they're able to get it. Kind of ironic, considering the supposed reason we had the broker, trading, and mailing money shut down for several weeks was because it was PC players exploiting a money glitch. So...shame on you, exploiters; here's your reward! :(
  16. Tabby Belle Well-Known Player

Actually... the $99.99 package deal was a glitch with the PlayStation store.
  17. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

But it WAS repeatable if you accessed it a specific way. I don't have a PS4, so someone else will have to verify whether or not it's finally been fully removed.
  18. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Which explains the ten Red Obisidians on the broker. *heavy sigh*
  19. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

as of two days ago? no.

will check again tonight.
    • Like x 1
  20. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

I tried just before shutdown and wasn't able to....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.