The Ultimate Guide of Rage Tanking

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Yvtq8K3n, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

Introduction
    Sadly u need to pay 20 bucks and pray to RNG Gods to fully master this guide. However, for those that can't afford it, photoshop is always the answer.
    [IMG]
    This is the ultimate rage tanking guide. In this guide I will discuss the general terminology of tanking and then specify whit rage core mechanics, rage tanking specs and finally rage loudouts options.

General Terminology of Tanking
    There is a ton of misunderstanding and confusion about these terms and so I decided to explain them whit detail.

Turtle tanking
    Turtle tanking, usually associated whit pre-revamp tanking. It is basically a tank that is always blocking, in case you wanna be a turtle tank, I highly recommend the use of the White Mod:Fortified Block.

Active tanking
    Active tanking became the most popular way of tanking whit the introduction of the White Mod:Fortified Assault on stats revamp. It is basically a tank that pvp the boss. The idea is to avoid as much damage as possible by jumping, block breaking, lunging and blocking the boss.

Battle tanking
    Battle tanking is a term given to a tank that deals as much damage as a dps. If you intend to Battle tank as rage I would highly recommend the following broken links:
    However for those that still want to be a rage battle tank...You gonna have to spam Sonic Cry and Lacerate.

Kiting
    Kiting is the term given to running away, as I like to call it chicken tanking:3. There is a ton of ways you can kite either boss or adds. You can use a fast weapon like 1-h and shield to run in and out of adds sight, but also jumping and rolling.

Pinning
    Pinning is another term for trapping, some bosses can be trapped in corners, between npcs, etc. Being able to successfully trap a boss may give a slightly advantage to the group.

Chrono Emitters
    Sometimes for diverse reasons you may need to stun adds. Crono Emitters are always good to get the job done.(P2W is real)

Breakout Trinket
    Having a breakout trinket that can be used in pve is always a huge plus, especially when your loadout doesn't have IMMUNITY. You can easily get one from Amazon Part 1 Vendor!

Rage Core Mechanic *SKIP Rage Core Mechanic if you already know rage basics*.

Severe Punishment
    Severe Punishment also known as SP in rage community is rage core mechanic. When you used it grants 50% defense while not blocking and Enraged state.

Enraged state also is known as Fevor
    While in Enraged state, 85% of all the damage taken is healed back.

Rage Crash
    When Enraged state ends all damage healed will be dealt back, making a splash animation, that's what we call Rage Crash.

Canceller
    Canceller is a power that prevents Rage Crash by ignoring all the damage previously taken. Cancellers should be used right before Enraged state ends, either by hearing the heartbeat or by pressing a canceller when Severe Punishment is hitting 7 o'clock.
    Canceling works for the full duration of the combo. Don't be afraid to do the full combo especially if u can clip it whit other powers

Eviscerating Chain[All the time]
    This thing not only saves your royal butt but also pulls. <3

Revenge[But I want to be diferent]
    Revenge is a situational canceller, even though it has a very short cooldown I recommend to only use it when you have a ton of adds and kiting isn't possible.

Outrage[Never]
    If you want to go from one side of the room to the other and wipe all group, Outrage is for you! The only vantage outrage has is the capacity of canceling 2-3 times. However, you will likely get stunned in the middle of the process and die, so H5!

Reducer
    The main objective of a reducer is to reduce the amount of damage you take when you rage crash. Usually, u clip the Reducer whit Severe Punishment.
    I only recommend using it, if you are new to rage tanking and you fail the Canceller time.

Violence
    Gives a 360º area of effect knockback.

Remorseless Recovery
    Heals based in your damage.

Shield
    Severe Punishment doesn't last forever and when it is down, you gonna need something to protect you. That's where the shields enter.
    Use Severe Punishment when the Sheild is at 5 o'clock, you may have to kite in of case shield breaks too early.

Redirected Rage[Sheild]
    This shield is your best friend!

HL Sheild[Optional Sheild]
    This shied is slightly stronger then Redirect Rage. However it can be overridden whit some healers powers, only use it if you need an additional shield.

Dash Attack[SC Sheild/Super-Speed Exclusive]
    This shield is slightly stronger then Redirect Rage. Due to its low sc costs it can replace Redirect
    Rage in combination whit EoG artifact.

Amazonian Deflection[Strongest Sheild]
    This shield is your second best friend, it can absorb %779 percentage of damage. However, has a big cooldown and can be interrupted.

Crowd Control
    A good tank must be capable of crowd controlling the adds, in other words:
      • Stun: Make the enemies temporarily incapacitated.
      • Pull: Pull the enemies near you, doesn't work very well on bosses.
      • Taunt: Bring the enemies to you.
    Rage Tanking Specs
    There is a lot of miss conception about what specs you should go for rage. *SKIP Restoration / Dominance vs Health if you dont want to know the details*.

Restoration
    First lets breakdown the main mechanic of rage, Enraged. What Enraged does is heal 85% of all the damage taken, so no matter how many restoration you have you will always get 85% health back, in other words respecting in Restoration or in its variants like Critical Healing Chance and Critical Healing Magnitude is useless.

Dominance vs Health
    This is a hard choice, even thought some 200iq players were specing into Dominance because of Scar Tissue, saddly the amount of bonus health u get from Scar Tissue is inferior that if u spec directly into health, plus the bonus health is capped when u reach 50+ combos . So trying to use Scar Tissue as your main tank strategy is not only risky but has basicaly little to no reward.

The definition of a good tank, is the capacity to adapt to a situation and so being able to play the same role in diferent ways. For that same reason I recomend always having two spare skill points, like so:

[IMG]

Rage Loudout Options
    I don't intend to give you the BEST LOUDOUT to rage tanking cause IT DOENST EXIST, however i will do my best to show you the possible viable options you can take based on the situation.
    In order to properly demonstrate it, I will use one of latest raids as reference, HIVE Elite and Bounty Scenario.

1st Boss(Solo tanking)
    For the 1st boss of this raid, I would recomend having a loadout capable of handling alot adds, whit more adds the higher chance to get stunned, so having a Immunity is always good. For that reason I would recomend the following loudout:
    1) Ragebringer(Bonus Health)
    2) Ire(Pop it before canceling to never die)
    3) Severe Punishment(rage tanking mechanic)
    4) Redirect Rage(Pop it when Severe Punishment is out)
    5) Eviscerating Chain(Canceler)
    6) No Mercy(Amazing Stun for adds)

Deathstroke(Solo tanking)
    In this boss lunging is more important that canceling ragecrash, plus being able to survive both console phase and ikon suit is your top priority.
    1) Ragebringer/Rage Blast(Pull/Taunt)
    2) Redirect Rage(Main Sheild)
    3) Severe Punishment
    4) HL Sheild(Alternative Sheild)
    5) Eviscerating Chain(Canceller)
    6) Amazonian Deflection(Strongest Sheild, usualy saved for ikon suit and consoles)

Terra
    In this scenario you have 2 tank and you will tank Terra. Terra has very powerfull brawling combos and can give you a very strong DOT(black smoke on you). The volcano phase also summons a fog that not only nerfs the heals but also deals a DOT.
    1) Rage Blast(Taunt)
    2) Ire
    3) Severe Punishment
    4) Redirect Rage
    5) Eviscerating Chain(Canceller)
    6) Amazonian Deflection(Strongest Sheild, usualy saved for ikon suit and consoles)

Starro bounty(No healer)
    This boss has a ridiculous amount of health and whitout ways to get your health back you wont survive long, being have to self heal is your top priority.
    1) Ragebringer/Rage Blast(Pull/Taunt)
    2) Remorseless Recovery
    3) Severe Punishment
    4) Redirect Rage
    5) Eviscerating Chain
    6) Channel Hate
    • Like x 1
  2. trashman805 New Player

Hey man great post short and to the point!
    • Like x 1
  3. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Few things that you may want to add that are still important for Rage tanking.
    • You still want to take 10 each of the critical healing innates because those crits still impact the heals you would get from using Ire and using your soda. So since dps innates are pointless to a tank you might as well take something that is actually beneficial to your role.
    • The way it was explained some new players to the role may not understand that their health as a rage tank isn't fully buffed until their hit combo meter reaches 50+
    • If this guide was meant for players that were already rage and know the powerset mechanics already that's fine and you can ignore the rest of this point but to leave out the concept of taking a reducer like Remoreless Recovery and what it means if you miss your cancel and when you would even use your cancel in terms of waiting to hear the heatbeat speed up or basing it off the cooldown timer. I would have at least added a paragraph talking about the basics of rage tanking mechanics or like you said your example like do you use the heartbeat? or do you use the cooldown timer etc
    • Along the last point talking about why you run extra shields because the severe punishment buff doesn't last the entire duration of its cooldown so rage tanks are left with a time they are more vulnerable, you did mention to use redirected rage after severe is up but just for someone newer to rage won't know what you mean but that etc.
    • Also instead of amazon deflection especially for solo tanking Hive Elite you could mention if they are superspeed they can use Dash Attack as a SC to bail them out of any issues because while Amazon Deflection is strong it is quite easy to get stunned out of it as well.
    • Like x 3
  4. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

This thread is realy not meant for new players, i see alot of rage tanks that know the core mechanics of the power, How crash works, etc... However either fail because dont know some core concepts nor all the possible options they can take and is for that kind of people this guide was made.:D I will take a look at the two first topics you mention earlier and see if i can make it more clear:3, but tomorrow today is already late.
  5. Trexlight Devoted Player

If you cant teach new players, you wont have new Rage players. Its best to go over Basics for an "Ultimate Guide". You need to teach new Players in guides like these and even Vet Rage Tanks may get reminded on things. If you plan on making basically Boss Strats for Rage Tanks, its better to call the guide "*Episode Name* Boss Strats for Rage Tanks"
    • Like x 1
  6. xEvangelionx New Player

I know this is off topic, but would you mind telling me what chest style is on that character? thanks!
  7. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

exo shirt u get it from oan sm as a rare drop.
  8. Vindex Active Player

- This guide is not meant for new players obviously (common sense)
    - The OP knows all of what he wrote here by actual gameplay and he is one the few rage player that knows what he's doing in real gameplay and not just in text/words.
  9. Vindex Active Player

- This guide is not meant for new players obviously (common sense)
    - The OP knows all of what he wrote here by actual gameplay and he is one the few rage player that knows what he's doing in real gameplay and not just in text/words.
  10. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

- I don't see how you can say its "obviously common sense" about the guide being for experienced rage players. It's not listed in the title and he starts off the guide by going over "general" tanking terminology. You think that new players don't already know about emitters or kiting or turtle tanking or having a breakout trinket? LOL
    -If it was for only experienced rage players than it could have been formatted in a different way which I already said. Simply having the title be "Advanced Rage Tanking Guide" would have been "obviously (common sense)" to refer to it as such no? If you call something ultimate you would think it will cover everything which is why I made those points.
    • Like x 1
  11. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

Guys chill, this is a guide:3 I will add the next part once i have time:3
  12. mbrewer77 Active Player

Which loadout would you guys suggest for leveling 25-30 as a rage tank?
  13. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

Gonna be honest, at that level there is no need for tanking. Focus in getting max cr/level as soon as possible. However if you insist in a rage tanking loadout try the 1st Boss(Solo tanking), that loadout is a good start.
  14. mbrewer77 Active Player

I just have the train of thought that it is best to begin learning early as I can. Thanks for the help.
    • Like x 1
  15. Shaby Boii New Player

Alright Alright Alright :cool: