The thing with superspeed.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GermanM, Aug 25, 2022.

1. GermanM Committed Player

We are not going to get a new power.
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

[IMG]
  3. Randarch Active Player

I appreciate this frank and honest answer! Regards!
  4. Skoll Well-Known Player

Thatsthejoke
  5. Jonny Active Player

Everything you said is true and logical and fair, but I don't think they want anything balanced tbh. They keep it broken like this so by the time you are trying to get good and do some good numbers, the big boys show you that superspeed is so much better so you end up paying the superspeed 'tax', at least this my theory. Will get a balance update when all house of legends is full of speedsters I guess.
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Suggesting gear styles cost that level of money is a fabricated nonsense - source marks on the market place aren't intended to be used to buy everything instead of playing the game.

You're supposed to actually play the game.

Despite being able to be used to purchase all styles the vendors are more efficiently used to fill in gaps, numerous styles you'll obtain simply by playing and then you only have to purchase the ones where RNG has failed to provide you with what you want.

Most gear sets have 8 pieces and of the ones that cost 10 each, that's 80 marks to purchase all of them.

If you're running content that's efficient then you can easily get 10 marks every 8-10 minutes (if not quicker) which means you can finish a gear set (without even relying on drops) in just over an hour.

Your same logic that you're forced to buy source marks is the same faulty logic people use to suggest artifacts all cost $250USD, they don't because you obviously get catalysts, seals and Nth metal through simply playing. The only people that are spending ridiculous amounts of money on things in game are those that are doing everything they can in their power to not actually play it.
    • Like x 1
  7. Jonny Active Player

The powers themselves are not even the only issue. The fact that u can run full speed in combat by spamming the fast movement key and avoid all sorts of sticky situations and get away with it with no penalty whatsoever is the most OP thing about superspeed. Meanwhile u out there flying all slow and obeying combat speed mechanic and boss turns around and shoots you down with a one-shot for trying to use your movement mode to your advantage by flying above mechanics u sly dog! How dare you ! Only superspeed can do that!
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

You can avoid most sticky situations without that, simply using tumbling master, but there's still copious amounts of people that simply aren't even using that foot mod.

Being in flight when there's no tactical advantage for doing so is actually usually more than not, stupid, not only can it cause bosses to end up in the air it can also put AOE effects in the air and cause other problems, it is simply not a good idea, generally.

You're far better off on the ground using tumbling master to extend your roll and avoid the mechanics.

It's a little ironic too that you mention "flying to evade mechanics" then suggest super speed's method of "evasion" is broken.

Neither are broken - it's your choice what movement mode you want to be and if you remove that ability from super speed, your ability to fly should also be removed, with every instance grounding you, period.
  9. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

In which is absolutely necessary in obtaining feats where you need to reach mechanics quickly (such as symbols under 4 seconds in royal war elite or icons 10 seconds in tsw, etc.). I'm not even sure it's possible if I didn't have Superspeed ring, since everything is so far away and skimming/flight is ultra slow in combat. Even getting pickups is severaly hampered but thankfully I can use stealth with hand mod to run faster for a short period of time. Got yelled at a few weeks ago in TSWe "troll why didn't you pick up the tank on other side of the map!?!?" Sorry bro, I'm not Superspeed I had absolutely no chance of getting there in time.
    • Like x 1
  10. GermanM Committed Player

I know xD
  11. Jonny Active Player

Both are broken actually, thing is flight is heavily penalised for doing it while ss is not. Example : fly around captain cold in Flashtastic Voyage, u get encased and killed. Fly around the forge monster at false idols , you get hammered down, and so on. Running full speed in combat does not trigger any kind of mechanics tho and that is the point. So yeah they should ground everyone at the start of the raid. Raids like COU and Shattered Gotham feel fair in this matter.
    • Like x 1
  12. Proxystar #Perception

But it's actually not, case in point, flight can still use Dust Off as tank to provide a shield and triggering their EOG, grounding prevents a ss player from using dash attack to obtain the equivalent shield and EOG trigger, providing flight with a reasonable advantage in those circumstances you've highlighted.

This is the thing, you're just taking one element of SS you consider to be circumstantially advantageous while ignoring the advantages to flight has.

Take ZOOe as a raid example, second boss, flight literally flies and evades next to every mechanic in the fight except for the bats, you can also fly over the laser in Machine.

The reality is some movement modes have things that are better and things that are not in certain circumstances.

I don't think either are broken, they're just 'different'
  13. FoolsFire Devoted Player

"...tactical advantage to doing so..." - Years ago when they gave each power a certain advantage and Fire got the ability to move around while casting powers. Doing this in flight mode is very advantageous. Start Fireburst-> Move closer during animation -> Stop for it to hit -> Move back while casting Mass Detonation. This way you stay out of range not only from possible damage but also control effects. It's even more safe now that Superman's Empowered Channelling gives you more defense while using a cast power.

"AOE effects in the air" - AOE attacks are a plane not a cylinder. If it's in the air high enough no one below will take any damage while walking underneath it. This is the same reason if I cast Inferno and then get knocked to the ground none of the NPC enemies take any damage even though it's right above their heads.
  14. RTX Well-Known Player

Obviously you´re able to get style/gear pieces while playing the game, the issue there however is that we have to look at newcomers, will they be able to get those feats just by playing to the end game level? No. Also you´re only able to focus on 1 thing mostly, you cant go and kill adds in Central City and also get style feats at the same time, where we´re left with what i said. You won´t have that much time to get everything done...again its logic that it won´t work when its over 10 years of feats, also look at seasonal feats or PvP feats, those are nearly impossible to get at the state rn. In general you should notice the issue when looking at it neutral and not as a player who dont wanna lose its skillpoint benefits, sure you might played the game 10 years and needed to farm these skillpoints and put alot of time into it, its still not a reason why it shouldnt be changed. If it stays like this, then there will be a huge gap between new and old players and "how good they are" leading to newer players leaving since they won´t be able to reach the same level in acceptable time and no in my opinion farming feats for constant 2 years (whoever is willing to do that, since grind is exactly the opposite to our "fast life" behaviour).

All im saying is, that it´s way to much to farm and look for, that as a new player i would go and search an alternative and playing a game where i could get good without having to spend years.

And you basicly proved what i said 10 marks 40.000/10 = 4.000 * 10 Minutes = 40.000Min/60 = 666.66* hours. The truth is that its 1 year of constant farming source marks, thats the only thing you do each day!

Also you said 8 pieces 10 marks each, well those aren´t the ones i´ve been talking about, obviously thats already a high price but im talking about those for 70 source marks, or the ones for 100x , 150x source marks each piece (Vendors in HOL) also there are some which still sell for episode gear prices per piece.

And yes, we should calculate everything with the price of what it would cost with real money, that way we see if the effort/time/money balance is there.

If its true for Artefacts that each one costs 250$ then you would go and calculate 250/15~ = 16.66* hours, that way i calculate how much hours you would have to work in a job to get the 250$, then we compare it if its possible to farm it ingame in 16 hours. That should be ok. Note: I know that some only get 10$ but thats still only 25 hours, compared to farm playtime its cheaper.

However when talking about styles for 500.000$/15~ = 33.333.33* hours. No need to say anything here.

To the other parts what i said with "hybrid playstyle", i double checked and it seems like sorcery could become the new meta as hybrid. Obviously here the high skillpoints players will become way better...
    • Like x 1
  15. Panderus Senior Producer

Not weird at all, and we have talked about it a bit. If we started updating powers like I would like to do, Travel Powers and or Iconics would probably be the best place to "stretch our muscles" as I like to say to potentially get us ready to do more changes down the road.

What did you mean by a "quick dash" to all movements? Like an ability that is a dash or just updating the dodge roll?
    • Like x 4
  16. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Certain abilities like Phase Dodge, Whirling Dervish or Speed Drain could be Iconics. Not sure about Dash Attack though.

Would be nice to have some new Iconic Powers. We have many Legends in the game whose powers could be extracted and made into a new Iconic Power.
    • Like x 3
  17. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Right now if you are speed you can press and hold the movement button which will dash you forward. If you are flight or skimming than when you press and hold the movement button you will get the animations of a dash forward but nothing actually happens. With flight and skimming you have an ability called swoop attack which goes in your power tray. When you use the ability it will dash you forward similar to what speed does as default. But unlike what speed does, it also removes the movement penalty.

In my opinion if you move all the movement abilities from the movement trees to the iconics page it will automatically balance out all powers since every power would have access to every movement ability. You can also exclude the movement supercharges since those would give everyone access to far to many 2500 SCs.

Then it would be a matter of giving everyone a dash like what speed has (press and hold movement to dash a short distance forward). Speed has the dash already.
    Swoop attack can be changed to flight/skimming dash (and remove the ability to get out of combat).
    And for acrobatic it can be given a lunge forward (like the front flip)
    • Like x 4
  18. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

To be honest, this is the ONLY thing I've always wished and would care for. At LEAST this. I've never used any of the abilities, but this feels like it's seriously needed, especially if most of the time we are forced to be grounded. It would be such a major QoL improvement.
    • Like x 4
  19. Panderus Senior Producer

What is the typical use case for this ability? Is it to close distance? Dodge? Create distance? All of the above?
  20. Proxystar #Perception

I don't care if you're new.

Focus on one thing, slowly build your way up.

Newbies shouldn't expect to get things overnight and the game shouldn't pander to a desire to do so.

Everyone else has slowly built up gear and feats, they can do the same.
    • Like x 2