The power cost of abilities.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Black Jaq, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Black Jaq Devoted Player

In my boredom this weekend, I thought I should go and update the wiki. I know that some of it, like ability descriptions and AM, have need updated but powers costs generally aren't as the amount of the reduction is not included in patch notes. Using the combat log yields a slightly higher number when the power is restored by the test dummy. This number from the test dummy does not appear to be a flat percentage either.

Anyone have some knowledge on this?
  2. Owl Devoted Player

One thing to consider is that Power Costs increase as your Combat Rating increases.
    So you may need to remove all of your gear to get the actual Power Cost.

Many powers had Power Cost changes when the animation timings were changed.
    Many had Power Cost changes during the implementation and refinement of Advanced Mechanics.
    Some powers have had their Power Cost changed multiple times just this year.
    As several power sets still have upcoming changes, it may be difficult to keep the Power Costs up to date.
  3. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Test server fresh toon, no gear or SP spent. Safest test there is. I figured out the multiplier for power cost to power return from the test dummy. I was more interested in fixing the wiki for Electricity since I am sick of misinformation going about.
  4. Cyro Committed Player

Black jaq just write your own elec guide. I have honestly been waiting for the moment you get so sick of correcting elec posts and just write a update guide.
  5. Derio 15000 Post Club

In all honestly I dont see why devs cant just give us the base power cost of moves. It would help players so much. Especially if they gave us the power cost formula too.
    • Like x 2
  6. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Cyro- I don't think a forum guide needs to be redone because the guy who wrote it is still active. But no one updates the wiki anymore.

Derio- I agree. It also helps us to ensure consistency between power sets. Based on the Wiki entry for Nature, it seems that Swarm Shield is 250 cost while the other healer shields are 270.

Also, the proportion is 33/25.
  7. L T Devoted Player

That might be, or there might be errors in the WIKI or guides. When I revised the Fire Guide, there were several powers whose costs had changed. On the other hand, when I started comparing the tank powers, there were inconsistencies-- not all the single-target taunts cost the same, for instance. Group Break-outs also vary in power cost-- maybe because they have different animation times?
    • Like x 1
  8. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Yeah, I guess chalk that up to the numerous revamps that happen independently of one another. I need to check Debris Field from Earth. Guides state it had a power cost of 450!
  9. Deathmike Devoted Player

While you're at it feel free to update the shield formulas as well if you want:
    - Movement mode shield SCs (Dash Attack/Perfect Poise etc.) shield for 1.25 of Resto+Dom (not just Resto+Dom like the wiki states)
    - Troll mass shield SCs (Bastion etc.) also shield for 1.25 of Resto+Dom (wiki again states Resto+Dom)
    - Mass Density (Atomic) / Ice Elemental (Ice) indeed shield for just Resto+Dom

I've personally tested each of these, btw.

Deathmike out.
  10. TheDark Devoted Player

This video is in my gadget thread. It lets you know how to figure out base power costs and power costs with current gear on.
    • Like x 1
  11. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Deathmike- is that 1.25(resto+Dom) or 1.25*Resto+Dom?
  12. Deathmike Devoted Player

It's 1.25*(Resto+Dom).
    Yhea, I kinda wrote that in the most ambiguous way possible.

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 2