the players deprive the group of the troll role....

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aduzar Light, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

New phenomenon noticed since the redesign, most of the players who tag troll, do not even play the role and only this role suffers this, or in any case, it is the troll role that suffers this in major part, even in raid instance, is it not high time to revise this role to make it more important ??

This penalizes above all the support roles, but also the small players not operational enough to have enough mana to use their build properly.
    • Like x 3
  2. BumblingB I got better.

This is not recent, trolls were abused a lot.
    • Like x 7
  3. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Have you tried asking them to switch at least? Last time I did, and someone just answered "no, I only troll during boss", we ended up kicking them before getting an actual troll.
    • Like x 2
  4. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

yes but, many ignore the demand too...
  5. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I play Controller almost constantly on my main, but I'm usually playing a DPS-Controller. 100% DPS gear, augments, and Arts.

I run Strat and Trans arts, maxed, so power out is lean but sufficient - I have crits maxed so there's almost always a second POT operating and because my debuff and burst regen are part of my DPS rotation, they're usually pretty well timed. I can supplement those two easily during larger fights, everyone gets Power, and if there's tons of targets? I have a 180 Rao that I switch in instead of running VWD. But I also have 480 ish SP right now so I can get away with that.

Since there's a standing defense debuff everyone else does more damage than they would have otherwise; granted, because I'm in Controller, *MY* damage out is taking a continuous 10% (or larger) hit; if I have a controller following ME around when I'm in DPS I end up with a small five digit bump in numbers; even with that happening, I'm still placing well as a DPS, and the group is still getting fed.

And since Tanks are a thing that people are never going to not need? It doesn't matter what my Dominance is for CC purposes; I CC with my sword anyway, and if I wanted to be stunning people non-stop I'd be running Quantum instead.

That being said - I do this now (even though some nameless crybabies absolutely hate the idea of a successful dual function Role) because there are so few Controllers left in the wild these days, mostly because no one understands how effective the Defense Debuff is alone for their character's actual output, and no one tests their rotations in any extended combat scenarios before jumping into a Raid so they have no idea how much Power consumption they're actually pulling. This leads to a lot of finger-pointing after a wipe.

Which is why I ignore all the DPS and keep the Healer and Tank fed. If you can't damage because your Power consumption is too high, change something.
    • Like x 4
  6. Magg Redd Well-Known Player

This is really nothing new, we get abused and called not needed a LOT....well until people run out of power, then they start yelling at us to do our jobs. Trolling is an artform that lots have gotten away from for "battle trolling"....I have played around with some really stout battle troll loadouts, but I honestly refuse to actually use one in play....as I toll I focus on power levels, pick-ups, debuffs/buffs, and mechanics and have very little interest in what my damage output is.

And to add onto someone else's comment, it does not matter what their roll is, it is frustrating as all heck when someone cues for a roll and refuses to play it ESPECIALLY when you ask them to swap over and they say they can't cause they are not geared to run as a "whatever"...if you are not going to play the roll, or can't play the roll, then don't cue up as the roll.
    • Like x 4
  7. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

What is a troll good for again? My healer doesn’t need one as my power bar remains full even when I heal the stupid out of the group (ok, not literally tho). All these arts, ally’s, etc., they take another piece away from the troll. Once phr pops for 20% power back…full power!!! And what’s weird, I get more power back when the group takes damage…scratches head…

I don’t notice if we get a troll as my power is full and not empty like other healers…lol. If we didn’t have such massive power regen abilities, then I would cautiously assume the trolls would be needed again.
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Defense and damage debuffs, group stat buffs.
    • Like x 3
  9. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Pretty rude to tell someone to play a certain way. I put them on ignore immediately. I can understand that player in saying no and only during bosses. Without knowing the full scope of that incident I can only assume you guys were having trouble with trash adds and lack of power.
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Most times in alerts I queue as troll (and CAN do the role) but will ask when we get in "anyone need me to troll"?...99% of the time it's either 'No' or 'up to you' in which case I'll just stay DPS unless a debuff is needed to make a boss fight more doable. Raids, if I queue troll and no one else is trolling, I'll switch without asking. I've been asked to switch back before though....yeah, trolls are not getting a lot of love most days.
    • Like x 2
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

When it comes to group content there are right and wrong ways to play. If someone isn't pulling their weight it isn't necessarily rude to call that out.
    • Like x 3
  12. BumblingB I got better.

It's not, the problem is, players take it as insulting them on not knowing how to play. I've experienced it a lot, though not as recently as I used to.

I remember back when T3 was the highest content and I ran Smallville alert and the controller in there was just using Defib and not Taser or Sticky. It took half the alert to try and get him to swap a power onto his bar. (Partly because English was his second Language.) But it definitely came down to him not knowing that if he's the only troll, he had to do PoT as well otherwise he was starving the group. It most likely was related to having been a backup troll for raids, who got abused to not do anything but hit instapower. Now it's not a problem, since all powers activate PoT.

It was a fond memory.

A not so fond memory was being in a mostly league run that pugged a DPS who didn't know what he was doing and dying left and right. I made a suggestion and got insulted with "What do you know? You are just a <darn> troll!" Needless to say, my league kicked him and he was very salty about it. I wasn't insulting, I was trying to help. It's a crap shoot on if we get people who will receive help in a positive light. (In a funny enough memory, I believe it was Inner Sanctum we were running.)
    • Like x 2
  13. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Which is why I said without knowing the full scope of that incident. Power wise players need to know how to setup a proper loadout to avoid power issues. Trash adds is also another thing that can be dealt with easily and only actually doing your support role as a troll during bosses is understandable. I seen all roles do this many times and without issues.
  14. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

I smile when I do more damage in controller role than a few dps in the raid or alert.

Ran into a characters in controller role yesterday in a duo that was spamming abilities, and i saw a heal debuff with no other debuffs happening... 0o I inspected them and saw Origin augments, dom, might, health and vit. Artifacts were dps and healer ones. I switched from DPS to controller and asked them to inspect me, this is a controller role setup. Suggested they read the descriptions of abilities and pick the Debuff ones. Gave it a minute and left the instance. :rolleyes::oops:
  15. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

I agree with you very much so, but as for the pick-ups....there's SO many DPS players in a raid now that I tend to just say....

"Pick-ups USED to be my job, but not anymore. There's only ONE of me and there's ONE million DPS in this run...I'm sure ONE of you can stop a rotation and pick someONE up." LOL! XD

I still do pick-ups though...LOL
    • Like x 3
  16. the solowing Steadfast Player

A certain way? How about not being a **** and queuing up for role you knowingly cant/wont do because you wanted to jump the line? If players do that in my runs and i ask for a troll because im running out of power and you tell me "No". Their will be a vote kick soon following.
    • Like x 5
  17. the solowing Steadfast Player

Better then me, if i see noone attempting the pick up after abit, ill try to pick up. If not after a few pick-ups? The whole raid can wipe for all i care until they get it through their thick skulls that they have to look for their down players as help rather then using the scorecard as a reason to ignore their team.
    • Like x 3
  18. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I always try to be aware of my surroundings both irl and on game. In my league, it is not uncommon to have up to 3 people pounce on someone who is down to revive them.
    • Like x 2
  19. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

You're lack of power is your own doing. If you can't manage it then you are to blame. Players can choose to play however they please. If they want to switch to support roles only during boss fights then that is fine. Trash adds can be disposed of easily and power can be managed on your own. The only ones who have issues with power management are the players themselves who can't manage it. I'm not downplaying your comment as there isn't much to go on resorting to assume it was trash adds and power consumptions that was giving "you" or your group the problem. This incident could very be in elite content. I pug many times and I notice players switching to support roles only during boss fights never once had issues with power or the support role player not doing his or her job.
    • Like x 1
  20. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I don't know, just did 4 omnibus raids in a row and every single time the troll did not troll. Qued in as troll but never switched. I never care about power but no debuffs, especially when multiple bosses were buffed, is pretty terrible. Was too lazy to kick or say anything but I instantly put players that que as a role but don't switch on ignore. I'd rather see goldsellers spam chat than play with them again
    • Like x 2