The New Costume Contest ...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Black-Zero, Feb 15, 2013.

1. GoldenBrownDragonFire Well-Known Player

Just Steel[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 7
  2. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

THE VOID MATERIAL IS THE SECRET!!!!

[IMG]

And again I say...

THE VOID MATERIAL IS THE SECRET!!!!!

[IMG]

So save up your Quarks, and go visit Boo$ter Gold! ;)
    • Like x 5
  3. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

So pretty and inspiring.
    What is that head/face style name?
    • Like x 2
  4. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

I'd love to get a full updated Batgirl suit, one of the few Titans who hasn't got a gear set yet.
    • Like x 1
  5. Pillowpet New Player

This would allow me to have the cape black on the outside and yellow on the inside?

It would also be cool to have Barbara's red hair flowing out of the cowl, but I'm assume there is some clipping issue that wouldn't allow the devs to make that happen?
  6. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

• Like x 2
  7. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

1. Yes, standby for a bit and I'll take a test shot for you. :)

2. Well, they've never programmed any of the Cowls in the game to display the hair... with the sole exception of the Junior Speedster's Cowl, which is the first.
  8. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Okay, so, quick tutorial on the Void Material.... when applied to an item, it colors that item absolutely pure black, like a void, no highlights, no shadows, like staring into a black hole... BUT it takes your 3rd Color Slot on that item, and applies that color as a faint glowing aura over the "void". This is how it's intended to work, and what the outside of your cape will look like. For these test images, I'm using my Rebirth Batman, with the recent Knight of Vengeance Cape as the Back Style. So, this is what the outside will look like (with my 3rd color slot set as the purple used for Rebirth Batman):

[IMG]

Now, due to some quirk in the game's engine that still was not fully understood earlier this year, when the Void Material is applied to a cape, or even probably one of the Trench Coats, the black "void" coloring gets left OFF of the interior surface, leaving only the glow colored to match your 3rd color slot on that item. Once again, with the purple color appropriate for Rebirth Batman:

[IMG]

And now, if I switch the 3rd color slot to the gold/yellow I used for the Emblem and Belt, we get your Batgirl/Robin cape coloring:

[IMG]

BUT since yellow is a much brighter color, the glow on the back of the cape becomes much more noticeable...

[IMG]

But still, at this time, it remains the one and only way I know of to do a Batgirl or Robin or Rebirth Batman 2-tone cape in the game at this time. You can always play around with the exact shade of yellow, make it a bit darker, so the glow on the outside is less noticeable. I didn't take time to do that. But as you can see, it works much better with darker colors such as red or purple as a general rule.

As recently as late last year or very early this year, the game's now Former Developer Megzilla (who left Daybreak Games earlier this year to go to Aspyr and work on their "from the ground up" remake of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic), who worked on the Art Team, admitted that the Devs did NOT know why this happens on capes specifically with the Void Material, but stated that the Development Team would research why it happens, with the hope being that they could some day use that info to create new cape designs that are intentionally 2-toned!

As it stands right now, the game's engine normally limits capes to being the same both inside and out, even down to the emblems or other decoration being visible on the inside as well. The Void Material somehow "broke" the way the engine normally works, allowing us to do something we normally can't do at all. It's possible there's other Materials that could cause a 2-tone effect, as well, but the Void Material is the only one where it can be black on the outside, and a different color on the inside, like what you want.

Other back styles, most notably the ones with wings, do NOT have this limitation, which is why the Dark God wings can use one color on the inside, and a different one on the outside. Hopefully they'll eventually be able to intentionally do that on capes as well.

But until then, save up a LOT of Quarks, as its cost is well over 5,000 of them, and go get your Void Material! :cool:
    • Like x 1
  9. Pillowpet New Player

Ahh, thanks so much for the explanation. Not sure if I will go with it cause that glow looks like it would bother me lmao. I hope they figure out how to do it proper though, same with the cowl.
  10. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

I assume in a word it's the shading system that makes one side look darker. The color of both sides is probably the same but it appears to our eyes it's dark due to shades.
    One other theory could be that because Void material is one of the few materials (And only that I know) in the game that has a glow or aura on itself (like how NPC lanterns have), being used on Cape, the aura of both sides of the Cape are focused on the inside or something like that.
    Speaking of glitches, there is also this glitch with the Mantis cape that once a material is equipped, the inside is invisible. Literally invisible.
    • Like x 1
  11. Charon Lead Content Designer

Two tone capes aren't going to be always limited to Void material. Keep an eye out. Something from Halloween is even demonstrating a variant of that, without using Void material....
    • Like x 13
  12. Jaelia Committed Player

Ohhhhhh
    • Like x 2
  13. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Like I said, you could use a darker shade of yellow or gold than I did, and the glow would be less noticeable. I left my shade the exact same color used for my Emblem and Belt. Later on I might take more test shots with a darker shade to see how it looks.
  14. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

[IMG]

But even still, I personally will be sticking with the Void Material for my Rebirth Batman, because it just makes it match the original comic art so much better:

[IMG]

Notice how the outside of the cape is that pure black, just like with the Void Material? ;)

Now if we only had that Rebirth Batman Utility Belt Waist Style...
  15. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

This is page 973. Have there ever been any longer threads on the forums?

It's an impressive number. I can't wait for the 1000-page celebration of new styles. ;)
    • Like x 2
  16. Wzlinnkk54 Active Player

And oceans teased the extra life boss rewards that has a 1 shoulder cape 2 toned with a design with it's own slot!
    • Like x 1
  17. Pillowpet New Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  18. Zneeak Devoted Player

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 9
  19. MystoganJella Well-Known Player

Totally off topic but just wanted to ask quick question do you think one day we can get a red lantern hoodie much like the green and yellow ones you get from the vault please and thank you :)
  20. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

This is my starhawk style
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 6