The ignorance of ninja looting

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Brit, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brit Loyal Player

The current loot system that the devs have in place makes it impossible to roll /Need on an item that you cannot use. The development team have been very clear that they consider every powerset capable of filling two roles and those characters are welcome to roll on either or both. While you definately may find these players' actions to be inconsiderate or selfish, they have not actually broken any rules according to the Terms of Service.

Those Terms of Service that you agree to in order to play the game, however, do have a rule against Blacklisting. It is ruled to be a form of player harassment and can result in a ban. So while what this player did following your FoS3 run was not technically against any rules, what you did was and you can be subject to discipline.

Breaking a real rule in order to enforce a made-up one will not really muster you a lot of support. In fact, it can result in you being the one who gets in trouble, not him.
    • Like x 3
  2. CCBatson Dedicated Player

At the same time, I will point out that if the group has agreed upon rules and someone breaks them, NOTHING prevents you in a method outside of SOE's provided forums and chat from blacklisting and publicly shaming ninjas and cheats. I highly recommend going to http://www.thedcuobook.com/ and spreading the word there, as the owner highly encourages public shaming of bad players. For that matter, you could start your own Ninjas Hall of Shame and be well within your rights.
  3. kilkulan New Player

i could care less, if they wish to lose a paying customer because i feel some guy who clearly stated he wanted the style needs to be called out than so be it. I would rather not pay for or even play a game that is more about protecting these people just so they can sell more replay tokens.
  4. DPSing New Player

I was a low level 30 (low cr that is) and I did a Duo for the first time and was partnered with a guy that I knew was in the 80cr level and he looted every piece of armor, weapons etc! There were items my low level toon really could have made use of, but no this ninja comes along and loots everything!

The moral of this is that there are greedy people in this, as there are in any game. When you expose such players others just respond in a manner that they arnt surprised and they have now tolerated such people. Whilst I do feel your anger and frustration, its just what we have to agree to disagree what happens in MMO games.

Best thing to do, as I have, is make a personal list and avoid grouping with such people in the future.
  5. Motive New Player

Join a league that uses fair loot rules.
    • Like x 3
  6. FlipsTips New Player

That's how the game is my friend, whether you like it or not, ninjalooters are always going to be there stealing something you really need. Although I feel your pain, as everyone has, to threaten them with potentially losing a customer because of that is downright immature. Just because we're legendary members, it doesn't entitle us to have every single our way or the high way, they're the ones supplying the service. Unless you've actually bought your DLC packs, you're in no real position to act so high and mighty, and even if you do quit and cancel your membership, there's always going to be someone replacing you. ;)
    • Like x 1
  7. Comixfan Committed Player

I've said it before, I'll say it again - do away with loot rolls entirely and give everyone their own loot. It works just fine in GW2, no reason it can't here. Loot rolls need to go the way of the dinosaurs.
  8. Goony New Player

no, i do not want my own seperate loot. look at what happens with those bounties when we are given our own loot, we get consumables that are level 3 even after so many runs, i do not want more of that
    • Like x 1
  9. raaddd Well-Known Player

I need on anything I need. Tank or DPS, I will need. I dont have that style? NEED! You want a specific weapon from Eclipso? I dont have it either so I WILL NEED! Dont expect people are going to listen to you lol ;)
    • Like x 3
  10. Brit Loyal Player

No. I don't want my own loot. Look at the stupid Reward Boxes. I've pulled 4 untradable Hive Defender helmets out of there; I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would have loved to have the chance at those instead of getting Throwing Stars or Doom Seeds.

Sure, the odd person might be selfish and give you a bad experience, but overall the ability of players to be able to Need/Greed/Pass according to their own situation results in the loot going to a more useful place far more often than what the Random Box does. The random box never changes it's odds; it's like you're always rolling against everybody. In other words, if your "random odds" for a raid peice is 1/8, then the box will always give it to you 1/8, while players can eventually move on and your odds get better. Getting that random box is basically the same thing as assuming that every single player your group with is always going to "ninja loot".

More player control over the loot is ALWAYS a good thing for the players. In a perfect system, everything would be purchased via badges and we would never have to depend on rolls or random drops; do your work and earn your reward with no luck involved. With the current system, we cannot control what drops, but we are afforded the opportunity to have some limited control in who gets it. If the game shifted to your horrible system, we have no control over what drops, and we have no control over who gets what; we surrender every single aspect of the loot system over to luck.

The system that allows us to make friends, work within a League, or at the very least be able to enjoy the portion of PUGs that are willing to play in a manner compatible with our own styles is far, far better than surrendering everything over to a Random Loot Generator. I'll take my chances with the rolls.
  11. Faust74 Loyal Player

Lately, I have been pug'n PvE Raids as a Controller. If there is another Controller in the group and he call dibs on Controller gear. Plain and simply put, I Don't Care. If I can use it, I am going to Need on it too. I am not going to walk away from a Raid doing my fair share of Controller Duties with Nothing, because the other Controller is calling dibs on every Good piece of Controller gear.
    • Like x 1
  12. RackaFrackaMan New Player

Sorry, no such thing as "Ninja Looting." Because nothing in that Loot Box is pre-owned. It's like going to a store and wanting to buy a product only to find the store is out, would you accuse the people who bought it before of stealing? No.

If everyone in the group clearly agreed to let a certain player have a certain item, but then someone Needs on it anyway, that person is a liar, and you can put 'em on the Ignore list and call him a liar...but they haven't looted anything.

You want certain things...and despite DCUO's Loot Roll system, you decide beforehand that something belongs to you, wrongly, then call others names because they also wanted the item and had just as much right to it as you do?
    • Like x 5
  13. Ghost Theory New Player

The only issue I have with your story is that he won (seemingly) every roll (at leat four according to your story). If that's true, there's an issue IMO. No way someone should win four random loot rolls in a raid if others are also rolling.
  14. Clutch Committed Player

I've seen people get into and run groups all the time even though they are repeatedly outed as a ninja looter in lfg. People don't seem to care much anymore. The geared people are only running it for the marks and the lower geared people don't have many options with ridiculous cr req. Some "victims" are just overreacting too. I got cursed out the other day for style needing on off spec blue gear in a pug alert. He rage quit at the last boss and missed his and weekly box because of a gear he would likely replace in less than a week.
  15. kilkulan New Player

no one rolled on brawler tank weapon and only 1 other rolled on dps bow. He managed to outroll two others for neck.

To those spouting off that ninja looting is made up, the concept of ninja looting has been around since the birth of mmos, its not so much of a "you took my loot" issue. It is a this player does not follow basic game etiquette issue. All being said the backlash i have recieved on this goes to show exactally whats wrong with this world, no one cares about anyone else and unless its happening to them they see all other issues as nothing but an inconvinenience
  16. Ghost Theory New Player

Well, he's being greedy then. I would have kicked him after seeing him win two weapons on Need rolls.
  17. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I don't think it's that people don't care, it's that so many people yell "ninja looter" without knowing what the term is. He needed on a plan, he needed on a base item, he rolled on a weapon he wasn't using or whatever made up rule is making the rounds this week.
  18. kilkulan New Player

unfortuntely it was fos3, all dropped at the same time.
  19. Durath Sa New Player

Ninja Looter used to mean something very different than it means now. The funny thing is that the loot system in this game is actually fine if you remove DD/DPS from the equation.
  20. Goetosyrus Well-Known Player

I'm not saying you HAVE to play it that way but if you don't intend to follow the unwritten laws of the community at least have the Spauldings to let people know up front.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.