The end of Marvel Heroes MMO?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DC Urban, Nov 5, 2017.

1. DC Urban Committed Player

2. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Yeah that game was struggling even before it launched on consoles. Not news really, just inevitable.

Its a shame though, it had potential. Anyone who thinks DCUOs missions are poor or boring or progression is sloppy, go play MHO before it shuts down. Game was permanently set on Easy Mode, you could literally fly/websling/drive past all the adds and get to the bosses.
    • Like x 2
  3. DC Urban Committed Player

It is news, because there is speculation of many mmo struggling; people claimed DCU struggled, but to have these allegations, lack of contact regarding updates that were supposed to occur, and zero contact with the players is crazy.

If DBG had sexual harassment allegations, a statement stating they cannot comment on anything at this time, missed updates, and documented influx at the top that would be huge news.
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

For starters not being able to create your own character was the huge turn off for many, me included. If marvel made an MMO similar to dcuo where you create your own character I bet it would have been much more successful.
    • Like x 10
  5. DC Urban Committed Player

I agree

The business model was pure fail.

Gaz: Ok, we are going to sell superheroes instead of MP cosmetics

Me: Ok....but what happens when there are no more popular heroes to sell?

They were banking on guys like the iron fist and vision to sell to support the game? If they were selling styles like DCU, the game would have thrived. How many more people are buying Vision merchandise compared to Hulk? They deserved this for stupidity.
    • Like x 2
  6. recoil Committed Player

the month or two i played marvel heroes the only thing it really had going for it was the sheer diversity of environments and npcs/bosses it had. exploring the coast, forests, and a town or two of singapor was neat as was new york, the x mansion, asgard, and even a hunting/camping ground. it also had some interesting boss mechanics that were out right engaging like the two or three when fighting juggernaut in the train yard or super skrull on the shield helicarrier. but as much as i liked marvel heroes i feel if dcuo fleshed out the solo content, added new environments from comics ranging from dc's tokyo- a few planets like oa and apokolips, and made the fights almost as fun as juggernaut from marvel heroes they could do it alot better.
    • Like x 2
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

People keep claiming that being able to create your own character is what sets DCUO apart, and yet, how many copies of established characters are running around DCUO? Dozens of Superfakes, Batphonies, AquaFrauds, etc

Marvel Heroes was always touted as you playing one of their characters, so not being able to create your own (who just happened to look exactly like Spider-Man or Hulk :rolleyes: ) being a 'turn off' is just being beyond childish (which is actually insulting to real children)
    • Like x 3
  8. sirzap Well-Known Player

Champions Online was supposed to be Marvel's MMO. They left Cryptic Studios somewhere in the early stages of development.
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

People exercise and stretch their imaginations differently. Some will go all out (and sometimes overboard) to make their character unique, while others are fine with basically making a copy of something that already exists. Even in SWG I saw more than a few outfits for sale at Tailor shops (just about all clothing, armor and weapons were player-made) that were listed as Han Solo or Luke Skywalker outfits.

But even with those that copy existing characters, they inevitably put something in there that's unique to that person. It may be due to potential limitations with character creation, or it may be that person's own take on the character and adding what they think would make the character perfect. And that's all possible with being able to make your own character. It's your character and creation, even if it's just a copy.

The same can't be said when you're only able to use the characters provided by the game. Even if the character in question has a long history or lots of costume options, it's still their character, not your own.
    • Like x 5
  10. Saami Loyal Player

This is what i call good argument. Well done Willflynne.
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

*Sigh* Understand all that, and there are plenty of talented people who make their own character, or put a personal spin on a 'copy' (have been checking out the Costume thread since the original forums), the point was, there are more who not only are not that creative when it comes to costumes for their characters but are even more lacking when it comes to the name for their character

The other point was, MHO was always designed to be you using pre-existing Marvel characters, so people joining (specially this year) expecting to be able to create the look for their 'own' character is ridiculous, even more so the ones who join, found out they are idiots who can't comprehend good and then whine-quit over it and start bad mouthing the entire game because they couldn't make 'their own character'
    It's like buying "InJustice" and packing a sulk because you can't create your own character!
  12. recoil Committed Player

honestly i really liked marvel heroes. i'd probably still be playing if i didn't lose my account pass word and user name. it was FUN. trust me when you see the savage lands and fight dinosaurs or find yourself standing in asgard you'll know what i mean. sure there was no character customization but the vast diversity in objectives and environments as well as the actual fights made it interesting.
    • Like x 2
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Haven't actually played Heroes in about a year, but still logged in ten times a month, except not this month, missed the first day while playing EQ2's "Whack-A-Grave" game (like 'whack-a-mole', but with zombies and ghosts)
  14. Wallachia Devoted Player

Actually they left Cryptic Studios right as the game was on the final stages, which is why it's so easy to make Marvel Character lookalikes in there.
  15. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I am not "people." I don't copy cosplay already established and premade characters. I may do "inspired by" styles but I won't blatantly copy someone else's style piece by piece, don't lump me in that category.

As corny as it sounds you bond with a toon that you personally created a lot more then one that was just given to you to use. It's one of the reasons I can never seem to put down dcuo, all the work and money thrown into my main to make her unique and stand out, etc. I won't ever feel like that with marvel heroes because I'm using someone else's creation. It's basically Ultimate alliance 3 in MMO form.
    • Like x 2
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Just because quoted you, didn't mean was calling you out personally, just like calling people who insist on calling Soups' trunks 'underwear-on-the-outside' morons wasn't being specific (unless it applies, and, again, not directed at you Fatal, just another example of specific people getting upset about a term used in general)

"It's basically Ultimate (A)lliance 3 in MMO form."
    That's what it is, the videos for it (at least the original videos) showed the background story about it (like the videos for DCUO: the 'final' fight and Brainiac showing up, the 'Fractured' video in the FoS and Future Lex paying a covert visit to Present Lex), those who enjoyed playing the first two UA's but wanted to play with other players could, those who expected it to be Marvel Universe Online needed to do some research first (or at least paid attention to the website while the game was downloading)
  17. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

how funny. i just started playing this. its a cool game but ranks low in its ability to captivate me. haven't played in a couple of days. i got nova up around to level 35 and captain a to about 15 with three or four others up to the free max of ten.

good thing i only spent ten bucks or else burn.

if there isnt a single player version of the game you can play offline like the original avengers alliance there sholud be.
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'm just kinda amazed that I was able to collect my thoughts that coherently considering the time at which I wrote it (around 5 AM my time). LOL
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

As for the first point? That's fine. It's their character and their time in the game and they are free to do as they wish (within the rules set up by the devs, of course). If that player is enjoying their time in the game, having fun and is fine with what they created, it's really none of my concern, much less my place to come down on or in some way judge them for their character choices.

As for the second point, it's a fair one, but even in this information age folks don't always do their homework. If someone sees "Marvel MMO," thinks it's going to be like CO or DCUO and basically does an impulse buy without checking on it, they're going to be disappointed at the very least when they finally try playing. My sympathy for their frustration and disappointment will be a little more limited considering they didn't do their homework in those situations, but I'd fully understand why they're frustrated/disappointed/angry about it. It may not justify any temper tantrums they may throw over it, but I'd understand why.
    • Like x 1
  20. Swamarian Committed Player

So then Cryptic bought an IP they could control. (I played pen and paper Champs in college.)
    • Like x 1